Author Topic: Ships gun position crashes to desk top.  (Read 329 times)

VWE

Ships gun position crashes to desk top.
« on: November 16, 2004, 11:10:51 AM »
In the CT the other night, when I upped on our group that only has the criuser and go to the hanger, if I double clicked my mouse on the 'ship or field gun' it would dump me to my desk top. Or if I was in the turret and went back to the hanger it would also dump me to desk top if I were to choose any aircraft even if by accident.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 12:03:06 PM »
Ive had the same thing happen a few times lately, but most of them have been on one of the CVs in the CT.  After trying several things last night I think I finally found that WMP10 process everyone was complaining about ( I dont know why it never affected me before, but now it is).  

WDFMGR.exe

I took it out and no more problems no matter how hard I stress the system.

I also found instructions for disabling it.

"Go to control panel, administrative tools> services> find windows user mode framework (near the bottom of the list) and right click this and select the startup type of disabled. "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Note here, I did not write this batch file, it was posted in the same thread I found the rest from, I'm only including it for the sake of completeness. I just did a copy/paste to here.]

U can also run this as a .bat file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\UMWdf]

"Start"=dword:00000004
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They also had this info on WDF files in general......

"The Windows Driver Foundation (WDF) is the Microsoft strategy for the next generation of Microsoft® Windows® drivers. WDF addresses driver reliability problems and simplifies the development and support of Windows drivers.

WDF includes several components:

• Kernel-mode driver framework

• User-mode driver framework

• Driver verification tools

From the Windows Driver Foundation white paper

User-Mode Driver Framework
The user-mode driver framework implements a subset of the kernel-mode framework functionality, including support for Plug and Play, power management, and asynchronous I/O.
Using the user-mode framework, developers can create drivers for network-connected devices and some USB devices, such as portable media players, cameras, and cell phones. Although these drivers run in user mode, they will be standard Plug and Play drivers that the system finds and installs in the same way as kernel-mode Plug and Play drivers.
The user-mode driver framework will be supported on Windows Longhorn. "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A good all around info page on this stuff........

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/wdf/wdf-intro.mspx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most if not all of the information above can be found on the BBS at freedomlist.com.

Hope this helps!

SA2
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 12:05:41 PM by StarOfAfrica2 »

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 01:40:32 PM »
Additional info from LIUtilities. Good site for Process info.
--------------------------------------------------------------
wdfmgr - wdfmgr.exe - Process Information
Process File: wdfmgr or wdfmgr.exe
Process Name: Windows Driver Foundation Manager

Description:
wdfmgr.exe is part of Microsoft Windows media player 10 and above. This process decreases compatibility problems whilst the product is in use. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.
For More Detailed Process Information Get WinTasks 5 Pro

Author: Microsoft
Part Of: Microsoft Wnidows Media Player

System Process: No
Background Process: Yes
Uses Network: No
Hardware Related: No
Common Errors: N/A

Security Risk (0-5): 0
Virus: No ( Remove )
Spyware: No ( Remove )
Trojan: No ( Remove )

---------------------------------------

I kill this every time I play AH without any problems.