Author Topic: Something wrong happened in the T/A tonight.  (Read 826 times)

Beurling

Something wrong happened in the T/A tonight.
« on: January 03, 2001, 04:18:00 AM »
OK im in a spit v the other guy is in a zero.

We are both at co e in a climb from 7k, 1200 above the zeke i am. I'm alting to reset after a attack that did not work.

I have shot this guy down before so i have fewer cannon rounds and less gas.

We split climbing the whole time.

He gets a 5 k adv on me at 25k. Yep hes 30k from a co e sit I have had it on auto almost the whole time. Im 25k.

Can this happen? Maybe at 18k their close but a 21k + the v should win climbing right?

Also this guys zero is faster too.At high alt 30k + hes flying like a stang.

What the hell is going on?

Seriously this is no troll. Dont you guys ever see something you cant explain.
The guy said he has only been flying 3 days here too. His plane flew great yet his ablity was terrible.

How can this happen?

EYE

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2001, 06:20:00 AM »
A couple of things strike me:

1.  Did you use combat trim?  If you did not, and he did, he may have been in a much better trim situation than you were.  The higher you got, the more out of trim you may have been.

2.  Auto climb is set at the best climb speed at sea level.  The higher you went, the farther off your climb speed may have been from optimal.  If he was climbing by hand he may have beat you.

This is all ignorant of what the performance of those planes should be in comparison to one another.  I'll let those with more data fill in some of the blanks in that area.    However, if you think something may not be correct, I would advise you to do some timed climbing tests in both planes and report the results in the "Aircraft and Vehicles" forum.  Generally folks there will have some real data to try to match your tests up with.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2001, 10:46:00 AM »
you need to stop relying on "climb on auto" over 25k.  Its inneficient.  I've caught a spit9 with another spit 9 before... both starting in almost identical e states... simply because the other guy relied on autoclimb.  Of course, he leveled the exact complaints/accusations that you did here.

AKDejaVu

Beurling

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2001, 04:26:00 PM »
I have gone over this 3 hour fighting session a million times in my head.

Was my throttle set up right for 100% yes

I  dont use combat trim so thats out.
i did stay on default climb. There might be something here. Also any turn i did blew e.

Climbing manualy does make a diff imo still would a zero beat me so bad in a climb?

I checked the stats and if you go by the charts the spit should have a slight adv.

To me there is another mystery here. He was not good but had a very good idea of how to fight azero low.   Hetried ropes  relying on climb adv only.

Any of you out there run into this sit. Im perplexed. When planes run better than they should? When you run into a guy who says he has 3 days here. Yet he has a very good clue on how to flight sim.

Yesterday was a very strange night for me. Did i run into a shades account. <--Thisis what i think. Was this realy a newbe like he said? How did a guy out climb me spit v vs zero. Maybe it was some one who quit and came back?

Any of you ever see things you cant explain?

EYE

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2001, 05:43:00 PM »

Originally posted by Beurling:

How can this happen?

Whenever I out climbed you in Spit's it was because I was cheating... Wasn't it?

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Beurling

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2001, 06:44:00 PM »
No not every time.

Fact was for all but 2 months i played aw3 i flew with crap controls and a key board for a rudder. You rememeber the stick spike to the left lol.

This cost me alot of fights.

I also put a premium on tactics not flying.

By flying i mean knowing the exact climb not a ball park figure. Knowing exact speeds and g's to pull in a turn.

You won many fights because i did not take enough time to look into the detals of aw3.

But here it comes In some sits you pulled e right out of nowhere. Were you hacked? Im not sure?

I know modifying a game is possible.

The question here to me anyway is who was this dude?
This is the fun part something was wrong. All night i felt hey this guy is too good.
Then he sucked he started timid flying? Then this climbing stuff started.
Now i dont know what to think 2nd account? Some one good from another game?
Some one who re uped for ah?
And yes i wondered is this guy a programer.

I dont know this is one of those things that happens once in awhile.

EYE

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2001, 07:05:00 AM »
Seems quite simple to me.  You used auto climb at high altitude.  He didn't.  He climbed at best speed and you did not, so you got out climbed.

Simple.  At least for this occurence.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer

When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,

Beurling

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2001, 11:55:00 PM »
Well i was going to let this thread die.

I have been fighting this guy for the last couple of days and beating him.

Today i got a 38 and decided to fly it for a change in the TA.

Well my buddy ups and we have a 20 min dogfight from 7 to 30k. I was trying to fight at his worst alt.Every 5k i try a merge snapshot.

He again out climbs me but im in a 38 this time.
I fly no auto this time. Im not sure the exact speed a 38 climbs at over 20k but i keep it up never leting it go under 150 mph.

I mean over 20k i should kill a zero right?

At 25k after a merge there was a warp. He went up at a 45 degree angle and warped from 4.1 k to our of icon range.

I heard there was a warp at 3.2 k always.
is there one at 4.1 to 6k my estimation?

I got film of this  

Its hard to tell if its a warp or
a net effect.

EYE

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2001, 07:31:00 AM »
When you tried your merge snapshots, did he?

Every time you try for a shot you are losing E and altitude to him on the merge if he does not try it and just keeps going up.

Worr taught me so long ago to never take that shot unless you think you can get a kill, because for those few seconds that you are trying to shoot, a smart opponent will be conserving E and climbing.  Who goes for the shot on the merges as you go up and who does not will determine who can top our the highest in most situations.

Please send me the film.  If it's not too big, you can email it directly to me at sconrad@hfx.eastlink.ca.  By too big I mean over 3 Megs I'd say.  If you can post it on the net someplace that would be cool.

Warps is warps... they happen.  Nothing strange about that.  Nature of the Internet.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2001, 10:16:00 AM »
I always get a warp in Aces around d4k range.

AKskurj