Author Topic: CH Throttle Views Tip  (Read 575 times)

Offline GeeWally

• Zinc Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« on: January 04, 2002, 11:55:00 AM »
I have a CH Pro Throttle and Ch Combat Stick.
When I first started playing Aces High, I used the 2 Hat Switches on the Stick and 1 hat switch on the Throttle to get 10 views, like this:

Stick hat switch 1
1. Up/Front
2. Back
3. Left
4. Right

Stick hat switch 2
1. Up
2. Up/Back
3. Left/Back
4. Right/Back

Throttle Hat Switch
1. Left/Front
2. Right/Front
(I used the other two postions on that hat switch for Flaps Up/Down

But I started to see that I had some blind spots like Up/Back/Right and Left.  

So I was trying to figure out how to add more views without using more of my other throttle buttons and I had an idea - program one of the throttle buttons as a Look Up button (keypad 5).

Now I use this button in combination with the other view buttons to get 16 views.

For example, if I want Up/Back/Left, I press Back/Left on the stick, and then the Up button on the throttle.  

Plus, now I don't have to have an use a hat switch position for Up, since I already have it on the throttle. I freed up two buttons (1 on the Throttle, 1 on the stick) to use for other stuff.

This is my set-up now:

Stick Hat Switch 1
1. Up/Front
2. Back
3. Left
4. Right

Stick Hat Switch 2
1. Left/Back
2. Right/Back
3. Left/Front
4. Right/Front

Throttle Button - Up

I press the Up button on the throttle to get Up combination views of all the views that are set up on my Stick.

GeeWally

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2002, 01:57:00 PM »
Why not use the 8 position hat on the throttle in combo with the up view u already have programed, 16 views from 1 hat, now u can program much more of the game to ur stick and throttle!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2002, 02:35:00 PM »
You can also use "stick sets" to multiply the hat views (and other functions).  I use one hat on the Combatstick for views, and the "pinky" switch to toggle between two sets.

Every once in a while, I think of a Better Way to set up my views.  After dying like a dog for a few days, I always go back to the same setup I've been using since AWDOS.  There's some saying about "old dogs" that applies, but I just can't remember it.    :)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline GeeWally

• Zinc Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2002, 07:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tyro48:
Why not use the 8 position hat on the throttle in combo with the up view u already have programed, 16 views from 1 hat, now u can program much more of the game to ur stick and throttle!

The CH throttle only has 4-position hat switches. I use those for other stuff like trim tab adjust, zooming and map zooming.

Offline GeeWally

• Zinc Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2002, 07:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by popeye:
You can also use "stick sets" to multiply the hat views (and other functions).  I use one hat on the Combatstick for views, and the "pinky" switch to toggle between two sets.

Hey Popeye, how do you set up the stick sets?
I wanted to do this but couldn't figure out how.  I have CH Combat STick and Ch Pro Throttle.

Thanks

GeeWally

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2002, 09:44:00 AM »
I think the best view setup is the simpliest one.  This is what I would recommend.  Pick the 8-way hat you wish to use (for me its the 8-way on the Pro Throttle).  Map your 8 views to it, up/forward, up-right, right, back-right, back, back-left, left-, up-left.  Now, find a button that you want to use as UP (5 on keypad).  For me that is my pinky switch.  Now, you have your 8-way had just made into a 16-way hat, and you have no blidnspots.  

Happy to help configure if you like or need it.

Nim

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2002, 11:32:00 AM »
Wally,

The Stick Map provides four Sets.  This provides four distinct button maps for each function.  For instance, the Right Front view can be mapped to Hat 1 Right in Set 1, and the Right Back view can be mapped to Hat 1 Right in Set 2.  So, switching between Set 1 and Set 2 changes the views selected when Hat 1 Right is pressed.

To program the Sets, just select which Set you want before assigning a button to a function.  Don't forget to assign a button (or key) to select the Set itself.

I use two Sets to provide different views on one hat switch.  I need to switch Sets quickly, so I have the "pinky button" on my stick configured to toggle between the two Sets.  In Set 1 the button is programmed to Select Set 2, in Set 2 it is programmed to Select Set 1.

In theory, you could have four completely different stick configurations, but I think it would be too confusing.  I have Set 3/4 identical to Set 1/2 except to separate MG/cannons for those planes that have both.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: popeye ]
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline GeeWally

• Zinc Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2002, 05:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by popeye:
Wally,

The Stick Map provides four Sets.  This provides four distinct button maps for each function.  For instance, the Right Front view can be mapped to Hat 1 Right in Set 1, and the Right Back view can be mapped to Hat 1 Right in Set 2.  So, switching between Set 1 and Set 2 changes the views selected when Hat 1 Right is pressed.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: popeye ]

Ah! Now I get it.  I do use the stick sets, I have one for bombers and one for fighters, but I never thought about using them to get more views.  Thanks Popeye.

Also, AKNimitz, I just figured out that the new Prothrottle has an 8-way switch.  My Prothrottle is an old hand me down that only has 4 way switches.  But I understand what you are saying.  I do the same thing but I have to use two switches.  Thanks.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2002, 03:22:00 PM »
All good info here guys. I wonder how many new guys we have that visit in here. This is certainly the kind of info they could ask about and get a lot of answers which may help them out.
I like the idea of using the up button on the throt instead of having it on the stick. I use a CH Fighter Stick and, while I've grown confortable with it, I am not totally satisfied. I may try the up view on my throt for a bit.
I want to add a suggestion here also.
For those whose trigger finger gets jittery when you are saddled up on an nme, try switching the fire both command from your joystick to your throttle (the grey button in the middle of Pro-throt), its a lot steadier as you approach your target.

Offline GWally

• Zinc Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2002, 09:43:35 PM »
Originally posted by Don
I want to add a suggestion here also.
For those whose trigger finger gets jittery when you are saddled up on an nme, try switching the fire both command from your joystick to your throttle (the grey button in the middle of Pro-throt), its a lot steadier as you approach your target.

It's funny that you mention that because while I was messing around with my view key combinations, that's exactly what I tried and I like it.  This sounds weird but I put the UP key on my joystick trigger finger.  Now I have my all my fire keys (Both, Primary and Secondary) on the three front keys of my throttle.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2002, 11:25:59 PM »
I have a TM FLCS/TQS.  I use one joystick hat (8 way) to look in the direction I push the switch.  I use the up and down positions of the 4-way on the throttle for... up and down.  When used in combination, you get all the 26 possible views.  I think it's quite natural and can pan easily in any direction.

This also gives me two forward views, the default (no buttons pressed) and hat forward position.  I have the hat forward position head position moved full forward for better view of the sight.  Switching between the default position and hat foward position helps you see around cockpit obstructions.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2002, 06:30:11 AM »
I have front up, front left, front right, left, right, back left, back right on Combatstick 568 HAT.

On throttle HAT 2 I have: Up, Down.

With comboing these 2 HATs i have all views.
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
CH Views
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2002, 03:03:37 PM »
I never needed to use the buttons on the throttle. I have CH Throttle and CH F-16 Fighter Stick. I use the punky fire button for my "up" key, and then can use the 8-hat for surrounding views. If I need to look up/back/left, I press the pinky fire button and the back/left 8-hat.

I'll give your suggestion a try and let you know how it works for me.

Gainsie

Offline Jaekart

• Copper Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2002, 11:03:32 AM »
Great Info Guys, :D

This is exactly the type of info I have been searching for, while trying to decide just how to set up the 8 way hat as well as the 4 buttons on the stick and the 4 buttons on the throttle.

I have purchased an TM Top Gun Afterburner, as a first trial of an HOTAS.  For those not familiar with it, it is a kind of strange set up as to where TM placed the buttons.

On the stick, there is a normal Trigger ( #1), a Fox 2 ( with a flip up cover for the thumb, centered between the hat on the left, and button #3), #3 on the right for thumb, then button #4 (awkwardly located on the back of the stick, to the upper right, for the index finger).

On the throttle, there are 3 buttons for the thumb, on the right face plate where the thumb naturally rests, with #5 being the bottom button, then rising to #6 and #7.  Button #8 is located on the back of the throttle, where the index finger normally rests.  To the left of the #8 Button is a rocker switch for rudder control.  ( This stick has a switch on the back of the stick to select Twist Stick rudder or Throttle rocker switch.  I use the rocker switch on the rudder, instead of the twisty. )  

Now to some specific questions:

#1:  TM included a stick setting prog, Thrustmapper Ver. 3.0 with the stick.  Do I use that program to do a "Preset Stick Configurization " for AH, or should I disable it and only use the AH Stick Mapping Feature, or do I need to program the sticksets in Both ??

#2:  While I know that choosing what buttons do what is purely a personal choice for everybody, are there any particular functions to be programmed on the stick/throttle that would be considered essential versus nice to have ??  (BTW, currently I am only trying to do a set up for Fighters; "attack" and "jabo".  I'll pass on Bombers, Vehicals and Ships for now, lol ) ;)

#3:  If I understood the above posts, I think most of you said I could change the functions on my Hat switch between stick sets.  As the #4 button is placed awkwardly for me, It sounds good to use it as a switch between stick sets.  I really like the idea that I can set trim functions to the hat switch as a secondary usage! Are there other funtions besides Trim that are considered to be essential as well ??

I thank you all in advance for any and all replies.  The help files tell me HOW to do a Stick set, but it does not cover the things that I need to know, such as what is useful versus what is nice to have, so far as what functions to use.  :confused::rolleyes:

With your help and ideas, I believe I will soon be able to fly with all of you.  Till then, good hunting.  :)

Offline GeeWally

• Zinc Member
CH Throttle Views Tip
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2002, 06:50:59 PM »
Now to some specific questions:

#1:  TM included a stick setting prog, Thrustmapper Ver. 3.0 with the stick.  Do I use that program to do a "Preset Stick Configurization " for AH, or should I disable it and only use the AH Stick Mapping Feature, or do I need to program the sticksets in Both ??

With AH Stick Mapping, you can only assign Joystick keys and reassign keyboard keys, so you will probably have to use both Stick Mapping and the Preset Stick Configurization program.  For example, I used CH Speed Keys to assign the hat keys to my throttle, then Stick Mapping to assign the views to the hat buttons.  

The best thing to do is get the key assignment file from the Downloads section, then use that to set your programmable buttons.  For example, I programmed a button on my throttle to ESC, so when I press it, the clipboard comes up.

#2:  While I know that choosing what buttons do what is purely a personal choice for everybody, are there any particular functions to be programmed on the stick/throttle that would be considered essential versus nice to have ??  (BTW, currently I am only trying to do a set up for Fighters; "attack" and "jabo".  I'll pass on Bombers, Vehicals and Ships for now, lol ) ;)

The best thing to do is just play for awhile, then you will see which keys you are reaching for most of the time.  Those are the ones you want on your joystick or throttle.   I've changed my setup a lot just by doing this.

On my setup, I like to have the keys I use during fighting, when I don't have time to look and reach for the keyboard, like Check 6, Flaps, WEP and Map (clipboard).

Also, I like to have Change Secondary Weapons, so when I'm dive bombing, I can change from bombs to rockets.