Author Topic: Help? I'm in the market for a new monitor  (Read 302 times)

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
Help? I'm in the market for a new monitor
« on: November 20, 2004, 02:54:48 PM »
Any idea where I can get good information on LCD monitors?  All the old stuff that I've read says that LCD screens aren't very good for gaming because of ghosting issues.  Is this still true?  Is there a source I can check to read about the latest monitors?

Thanks

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 03:02:16 PM »
I got a viewsonic VP201s from new egg, it was pricey but 400 bucks cheaper the Frys. Costco has them for about 720$

native res of 1600 by 1200

you can rotate it so it dislplays landscape or portrait.

no ghosting or anything.

Well worth the money, moniters on like every else PC do not go out of date in 6 months.

Info on the viewsonic page.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 03:04:23 PM by GtoRA2 »

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 06:14:05 AM »
Check out this one Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+.

8ms response time, 700:1 contrast ratio.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/lcd18.html#amo_2d019_2dhy

Very new, can only seem to find information in German.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 07:49:07 AM »
I used a hitachi CLM 174 -- great, no noticeable ghosting.  Check your review sites, as the pixel response time  numbers for all LCD monitors are BS.  But if you don't get a bargain-basement monitor, you'll probbly be happy.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 09:29:13 AM »
I went to Best Buy last month to look around and see what the prices for LCD monitors had done. I found a nice 19" Samsung with the same pixle rating as the higher priced monitors on sale. The picture was good with no real amount of ghosting on any of the mid to upper priced monitors. I picked up a 912N for less than $450 and am very happy with the perfrmance. The games I play show no ghosting and it compares to my old 19" CRT display easliy. Since I RV full time now I really needed the space saving aspect of a LCD and am quite happy with it.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 10:12:02 AM »
Thanks for the info so far.  I'll certainly look into all those monitors.

Originally posted by Dinger
Check your review sites, as the pixel response time  numbers for all LCD monitors are BS.

That's also some of the info I was looking for. The only review site that I'm really familiar with is tom's hardware.  The latest LCD review for large LCD monitors states that NONE of them are really good for gaming yet. :mad:

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 04:01:51 PM »
Do you get Philips monitors over there ?

they have a new one out  - 12 ms response   19" , very nice  and well priced. should be around US$450-500 .....no ghosting
I come from a land downunder

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 04:12:30 PM »
I couldn't imagine gaming on anything but a LCD monitor.
if there is ghosting my eyes can't pick it up.

the biggest difference I've found is that you don't have to kill every light source in the room to avoid reflection and glare on your screen.  you can actually play a game in the same room with the rest of the family without having to worry about someone killing you because your wife opened the curtains and blinded you with glare.

I've got a viewsonic va800.  was about $750 2 years ago.  I think I've seen them around $250 recently.  it is far from top of the line and I'm extremely satisfied with it.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 04:24:19 PM »

the biggest difference I've found is that you don't have to kill every light source in the room to avoid reflection and glare on your screen. you can actually play a game in the same room with the rest of the family without having to worry about someone killing you because your wife opened the curtains and blinded you with glare.

games running at lower resolutions look better to...

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 01:02:43 AM »
My little brother has a Dell 20.1", and it works pretty well for gaming. The contrast/ghosting aren't quite as good as on my 17", but I don't really notice.
In general, LCD screens have gotten much better than they used to be.  I'm using a Compaq 15.4" 1920x1200 laptop screen for research, watching movies, games (rarely, alas), and "defense contracting lumpenproletariat" software development.  Works great. No ghosting that I can see.

THG is good, rarely comprehensive for LCD screens, but when they get around to reviewing stuff, they're fairly comprehensive, and as you saw they recently rolled out a "Standard" to evaluate LCD screens; Anandtech I also like. Some of the others are rather questionable (e.g., Hard[OCP]), but generally, you'll do well.
I wouldn't recommend buying something based on an in-store experience.  Often their settings are all messed up, and they're piped through some nightmare of a KVM switch with a mile of analog cable.  Hell, I've even seen them show off the pricey 1600x1200 20" models on the same 1024x768 desktop feed they send to the cheap ones.  "Hey dad, look, this expensive one is really crappy!"
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 01:11:58 AM by Dinger »

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 10:52:55 AM »
Samsung 213t is worth checking out too.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 11:13:02 AM »

That's also some of the info I was looking for. The only review site that I'm really familiar with is tom's hardware.

Try Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 11:54:33 AM »
After scanning the options, I'm thinking the Dell 2001FP is looking fairly attractive... but at $800...  Think maybe the price might go down after xmas?   ...prolly not

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 04:24:29 PM »
the price will definitely go down after your purchase :p