Author Topic: sore losers/timidity et al...  (Read 2025 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
sore losers/timidity et al...
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »
I liked the part where people who fly La7s dont go to heaven :p

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2004, 09:27:40 PM »
Jeez Shane, by the time I got done, I forgot the begining.

I caught the jest of it tho..

Timid pilots ought to get a biker tattoos ??..and talk gruff ?? ...and hope it rubs off in their flyin ??
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 10:22:26 PM »
hey, i didn't write it.  but then what can we expect of a quaker with the attention span of an inconinent cocker spaniel on meth?

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2004, 10:56:26 PM »
NEED ASPIRIN....NeEd AsPrIn NoW!!!
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2004, 10:58:34 PM »
Guys, you really should read this stuff.  Blue Baron knows online communities, and he has a beautiful gift for writing.  Forget the word count, and enjoy it for what it is.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 11:16:48 PM »
I always liked the entertainment value of the old fashion 'shot down' and 'plane crashed' messages:

Dweeb1:  LOL n00b you need to work on your SA!!!!1
Dweeb1 Shot down

n00b:  LOL the idiot augered
n00b Plane crashed

:)

Good post OP

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004, 11:21:42 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
At one time it said.
Pongo has been shot by Octavius of the Knight Hoards.
then they got rid of the pongo part.
then they got rid of it all together and just put in landed kills.
It was really painful for someone to get killed a dozen times in a vulch.

Really?  was this before tour 2? :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Purzel

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2004, 01:34:44 AM »
Very interesting!

While HTC cannot abandon the MMOG-Flight-Sim genre, they are trying to go down the road that was mentioned in the end of the article. They are trying to establish parts in the game where you dont have to understand energy management for example. You can fly bombers or drive GVs. And they can have an impact on the game.

You can become good in the game without having to know at all why planes have these fins sticking out everywhere.

The problem might be that there is an end to this. It will not bring anything good if ppl do not shoot at each other. In this game, that is.

So, HTC will probably have to live with the fact that this online flight sim will never become as popular as quake.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2004, 01:53:22 AM »
I dont know Oct. Thats the way it was. You dont seem to believe me. But thats the way it was.
Search the forums. It was changed for exactly the reason the article puts forward. When they got rid of individual kill messagages it wasnt just for messaging band width  reasons but for trying to use the "glory" to get people to land.

Do you  remember when the B17 had no guns?

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 02:10:11 AM »
lol sorry Pongo, that was a serious question.  I dont remember :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2004, 04:46:10 AM »
BB had a perceptiveness and understanding of MMOG psychology I have never seen matched.

IMO we see here and in the arena the very symptoms he points to when glory is promoted over shame...........

all humility is lost............ ego is all
Ludere Vincere

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2004, 05:52:50 AM »
Don't build a pyramid. If your game mechanic can only be mastered by a rarified slice of humanity then you will have the harsh, rough, chest beating culture of the meritocracy game.

This part says it all.

Aircombat sims are by nature a pyramid. Inherently competitive and predisposition to chest thumping is written in the DNA.

And the interesting part is while the "rarified slice of humanity" which in flight sims we can calssify as 'vets' or 'aces' seemingly promotes or motivates people to become better at the game, they never cease to give up their own place on top of the pyramidic hiearchy - those who are at the bottom levels are people they can insult, step on, crack talk, and humiliate - in the name of 'motivation'.

But in the end, the under levels of the pyramids are always the most numerous. The more the game integrates various components and diversifies the role one can play inside it, the less importance the "rarified individuals" play.

The "ubermensch" are a dying breed. The days of the "untermensch" have arrived, and they dictate the arena.

And the "sore loser" phenomena, is one out of desperation. A "vet" in a pathetic bid to gain attention. To tell the community "hey, I'm a great pilot. Respect me!"

The last cries of a race in extinction.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2004, 10:12:25 AM »
I remember flying arround in a 190a8 and hoeing anything that I could in an attempt to break even on the K/D stat, and that was after playing offline ww2 fighter games for years.
It doenst matter who you are. This stuff is hard. Guys that just have an interest and a new computer and the first experiance they have in ww2 fighter games is AH2..wow.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2004, 11:52:13 AM »
Very good stuff. Not universal though, but certainly seems logical for gaming in general.

I've always played these games like a solo round of golf. Did I hook that merge? Slice that reversal? I try to have fun, land kills when I can, not make stupid mistakes or wander into total gangbangs. I don't know who's ranked no.1 (certainly isn't me), don't care, seldom ever read the text buffer, help people out when I can, avoid the conga line when it's already rolling, and get more pissed when a nameless red plane in the horde beats me than when I get plain outflown by a better pilot.

The ego is a ***** though, at least was in my earliest days of AW when I was trying to establish a positive K/D. And getting that regular positive K/D while still being willing to take some risks (yank and bank at heart) is far more difficult in this gaming environment han in most others. Path of least resistance can be a powerful thing if you're not pissed off enough at youself to want to do as well as you expect you can. It took me about a year, largely just dealing with SA issues.

Charon

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2004, 12:19:45 PM »
Originally posted by Charon
Path of least resistance can be a powerful thing if you're not pissed off enough at youself to want to do as well as you expect you can. Charon

and *this,* my friends, nicely sums up almost your entire collective experience of me on ch1/200. this is what i'm "going on about." it's not the ganging, it's not the cherry picking it's not the vulching, it's not what or really how you fly...

it's the lack of effort to try harder, do better, and to steal a cliche, be all you can be.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.