Author Topic: sore losers/timidity et al...  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
sore losers/timidity et al...
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2004, 03:14:32 PM »
Originally posted by Howitzer
But you have a reputation for being a beligerant, whiny person on Ch. 200, now tell me how that invokes people to seek your assistance?  Maybe if you were in a squad, and helped the new guys learn to fly in the MA, that would be one thing... but you even fly alone, and your way of helping them is when a few of them jump you and kill you, you let the world know they killed you, and they grin from ear to ear.  Not much of a learning aid as far as I can tell....

People seek Shane's assistance because he can walk the walk.  Probably it's not as noticeable to you in the chaos of the MA, but Shane goes out of his way to make himself available in the DA to help anyone who asks for it.  Next time you're in the MA, ask him.  Chances are he'll stop whatever it is he's doing, so that he can meet you somewhere else and teach you some very useful lessons.

Take this thread as an example.  Shane is trudging up and down the sidewalk with his "Repent" sign in hopes of pulling a few of the unmotivated out of the pool of easy kills and pushing them into becoming killers.  You may think that a spoonful of sugar and a kind word to the wise will be more persuasive, and perhaps you're right.  But there are those who respond to a slap in the face, or who work harder just to get even, if someone makes fun of them.  That is obviously Shane's approach, and the gist of Blue Baron's article.

- oldman

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2004, 03:15:26 PM »
On the other hand, I see it from a different angle--I will never be a great fighter jock, but I am a pretty good tanker, jabo driver, and bomber, and I excel at tactics. The author points out that, to survive, the community needs to have a diverse skill (and value) set.

I disagree. Your position has a validity of its own, but it tends to impact what I (and some percentage of others) find enjoyable in the game. To me the attraction of these games is (and has been since 1993) to emulate, to some small virtual degree, the experiences of my heroes and villains from from the burining skies of WW2.  Mainly fighter pilots. I like good strat games (logged more house this summer on CIV3 than AH), and were the strat model more complex, creating more opportunities for historical-type mission and requiring truly diverse gameplay to win the war then I might jump in with both feet. But I just can’t get into strat that revolves around steamroller tic-tac-toe.

Similarly, where “war winning” tactics are concerned there is something that is just too...sad... about dive bombing a CV with a flight of Lancs if you've spent 3/4 of your life reading about and being fascinated by WW2 air combat. However, as long as the "war" provides for an abundance of my style of good A2A action, then I don’t much care how anyone else plays the game. I will liklely even help out if an opportunity arises to intercept incoming bombers or the goon or kill a GV shelling the field, kill some drunks in their chutes -- I even deacked my first field last week.

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out before, winning the war and having good fights tend to contradict each other. That’s also where the path of least resistance comes in. To those AH war-winning bomber and fighter pilots and GV drivers who enjoy the challenge of the fight However, you can win the war and do your part for the home chess piece very easily without having to know a high yo-yo from a lag turn. You can fly bombers in a non-historical manner and succeed without even having to calibrate the simple bombsight. You can shoot a plane on the runway, or with 10 of your friends, or after it's missing a wing and feel good - I got a kill! The war can be won with a comparative level of skill and knowledge that would embarrass a 1941 era Soviet flying cadet or a 1945 kamikaze pilot. It’s not an elitist thing -- I’m hardly elite -- so much as the fact that those of us who like a good fight, and have found communities of others who like a good fight for many years, find that focus diminishing.

I have no problem with a cherrypicker who fights, or those who fight but run when they get too far in the hole. I don't expect the Mustang to stall fight against my Ki-84. But it's got to the point where if I'm alone and a solo Mustang flies over me, I expect 1 half-assed pass, maybe two, and good by - if that. This is what I've seen change the most since about the Gamestorm era. With even a reasonable amount of skill and some agression that Mustang should have a 75% chance of blowing me out of the air. It should be something to be feared, but you can almost ignore a high jabo type today.

A game that represents the Ferrari of 3d WW2 air combat simulators gets used for it’s winning-the-war gameplay model, which putts along at Yugo/Lada levels. What ya gonna do :)

Charon
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 08:23:33 AM by Charon »

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2004, 03:36:12 PM »
Originally posted by Howitzer
People will comment on your skill if you have it, they will ask you for tips if they think they know what you are doing....  But you have a reputation for being a beligerant, whiny person on Ch. 200, now tell me how that invokes people to seek your assistance?  

see... if i were all nicey nicey i'd get overwhelmed with requests. at which point i'd simply have to start refusing them and end up like so many of the other nicey nicey vets who don't bother giving help any longer.  

you want my help, you're gonna have to put *your* ego aside.

call it a screening process.

despite what many of you may think, i'm very aware this is a game and each of us have our own motivations and goals in it. no one is ever forced to get into word warrior with me, so don't go whining about it when you chose to play that particular game with me.  just as some don't respond to my "method" i don't respond to haughtiness handed down from atop a high horse.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2004, 04:00:15 PM »
just as some don't respond to my "method" i don't respond to haughtiness handed down from atop a high horse.

This is the most hypocritical thing I've read from you.  This is EXACTLY what your ranting sounds like to others.  It may not be what you are intending, but this is exactly how you come off.  Just as you don't respond to it, others don't respond to it from you.  Makes it sound like you are the best and the others that challenge you are just drivel... no wonder people don't respond to you...

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2004, 04:05:37 PM »
Here's a post I made a long time ago in another thread.

One thing, don’t confuse what folks are saying. You can have fun any way you want. Just don’t expect other folks to share your view and be prepared for the comments that will inevitably follow.

One thing that has changed in AH is that folks take "mocking" and friendly exchanges of taunting personally. In the  past I remember only Karnak throwing a fit that some folks referred to spit pilots as "spit dweebs". Now say spit dweeb and 4 guys will run to the bbs with a thread entitled "Am I a dweeb for flying a spit?" Well the answer is of course you are, we all are.

It's getting to the point just calling some one an allied farm boi opportunist is enough to get a lawsuit slapped on you.

There is fun in the “hate” but if you can’t take it for what it is I would suggest that you turn off Opera and Dr. Phil and butch up a little.

I used to mock folks all the time; all in an attempt to get them to come back mad. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t. Now folks rush to the bbs "Mommy they picked on me".

So what if some one thinks you are timid or what ever, it’s up to you to find your fun. As I said above just get some thicker skin.

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2004, 04:05:45 PM »
hmmm rants are rants, high horsey-ness is an entirely different beast.  it's all in the delivery.  

and why should *you* care about what others respond or don't respond to?

could it be you're struggling with your own ego? if i were all nicey nicey to you, you'd be asking for help? sorry, my screening process is in place for a reason. :aok

i don't claim to be the best.  never have.  know i'm not.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 04:08:32 PM by Shane »
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2004, 04:17:54 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin

We've got people who've been flying for 2+ years that, if you believe them, can't tell which way an enemy plane is flying by looking at the icon for 5-10 seconds.  

LOL I almost spit my drink out when I read that excuse for his joust.  The only way that's possible is if the guy has terrible vision and no glasses lol.

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2004, 04:18:15 PM »
I could care less what people respond to, however I'm arguing the point with you.  Not sure how I have an inflated ego... sounds more to me like my points in the argument were better, you are out of counters, and are trying to change the subject before others notice.  I am just challenging what you were asserting earlier.  I don't think this is about me at all... from what I understand, its about you and your attitude towards the AH community.  

Please Shane, do whatever you like, but whatever you do, don't change, the rest of us get too many laughs at your expense.  :aok

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2004, 04:45:43 PM »
because they can't get laughs on their own.. like their kills.

:D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2004, 05:28:23 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
i see you've yet missed the point again arlo. a big ole whooooosh!

what "stupid" stuff have i whined about?

Saw ya go off on a guy who dove in to help ya ... but was a bit late and ya died .... for about 45 minutes or so. You even switched sides and tried to get other players to hunt him with ya ... to which we all just laughed and told ya to get over it. Then ya logged.

So don't try to give ME this "I'm just trying to embarrass folks so they can be all that they can be" malarkey. I know better. I like the "I'm just pushing buttons" version better. It, at least, has a ring of authenticity. I can respect that.

Wait ... yeah yeah .... you don't need my respect. Well, that's ok. Then I'm just doing a Shane here too, I reckon. Callin' it how I see it and not really giving a carp how if bothers ya or not. Only difference being ... I ain't strokin' my ego none, doin' it. Yasee, I always knew you was better at video games than me. And although I should be devastated about it, I'm not. Go figure. ;)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2004, 05:31:30 PM »
Originally posted by Wotan
Here's a post I made a long time ago in another thread.

Whoa! And just as impressive in this thread as it was in that thread. I think you should bookmark that for later threads. It would definately safe time and effort. :D

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2004, 05:41:54 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Saw ya go off on a guy who dove in to help ya ... but was a bit late and ya died ....

oooohhh  you mean the guys who chronically go after the one someone else is *already* on instead of actually trying to get the one coming in or on that person's 6 already?

guys who should and do know better?

it doesn't just happen to me, either, i see it happen to others.

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2004, 05:43:21 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo

here ya go arlo, i made you one, too, be sure ot bookmark it...

:aok

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2004, 05:46:27 PM »
Hey ... sure ... get pizzy with me. I think it's funny. :lol

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2004, 05:08:38 AM »
Nice read.

Thanks for the post!

Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.