Author Topic: Help a learner  (Read 911 times)

Littleman

Help a learner
« on: April 03, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »
Why  cant I take off,have just been introduced to Aces High so am a complete learner,get slightly off ground for a matter of secs,then alarm bells before tilting over ending on my side,help please.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Help a learner
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2001, 02:53:00 PM »
You are stalling. Go to the setup and choose "auto take-off" and observe how the computer does it.

gl

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Littleman

Help a learner
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
Eagler,thanks for your reply,tried your advice still same problem,as I said I am very new to this and am wondering if I have set this up right?

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Help a learner
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2001, 03:42:00 PM »
What plane are you trying to fly?  Some like the 109G10 will leap off the runway, others like a Lanc will use the whole runway and still almost be at stall.

If the plane is rolling or pitching without your input then chances are your joystick is spiking and turning off auto-climb.  Also make sure you are applying full power and engage WEP.  

After your plane has climbed 5K or so, I always tell people to go auto-level (X) and let the plane pick up some speed.  Then you can start playing around trying to control it.

Hope this helps

-Soda

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Help a learner
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2001, 03:53:00 PM »
calibrate your joystick setup, it should get in the way if you are in auto climb/takeoff

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Littleman

Help a learner
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2001, 04:03:00 PM »
Hi,I think my problem is down to the set up,tried your advice and attempted to take off with 109G10,still problems,I am even having major problems in trying to go in a straight line down the runway,maybe Ive too many grey hairs in learning at this late stage!!!!!!!!!!!!Oh well.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Help a learner
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2001, 04:52:00 PM »
Your joystick must be spiking and throwing off your auto-takeoff.  I'd take a look at the setup screen (off the clipboard) and check to see how your joystick is calibrated and whether it is spiking or not.  I'd set the deadband a little higher to try and solve the problem.  Sounds like that is the problem.  You should be able to have the plane take off without touching the stick by just applying power if everything is working properly.

-Soda

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Help a learner
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2001, 04:55:00 PM »
There are a number of possible factors here. Others have mentioned calibration, but there are many additional possibilities.

First, do some practice offline. Go to the hangar and select the P-38. This is a twin engined aircraft which has the advantage that the engines counter-rotate, which means that you do not suffer from yaw. Go to the runway and turn the engines off by pressing E. Put the flaps half-way down. Now start the engines again by pressing E but press and hold the spacebar (the wheel brakes). Adjust the throttle on your stick to full keeping the spacebar pressed, then when the engine note is constant, release the spacebar. You will proceed down the runway. After your speedo reads 100, pull *gently* back on the stick. You won't rise immediately, but you will in time. Immediately you get into the air press G to retract the landing gear. Retract the flaps shortly thereafter. Don't pull hard on the stick - gently does it - just rise into the sky.

I guess you'll be asking about landing next... <g>

------------------
qts

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Help a learner
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2001, 05:27:00 PM »
when using auto-takeoff, DON'T touch the stick!!  Give it full throttle and leave it alone.

SKurj

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Help a learner
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2001, 08:13:00 PM »
Hiya

as others have said, try with the "auto-takeoff" option a couple of times, watch the airspeed, rudder and elevater indicators, the gear light, etc...

then.. its important to know that the AH simulation models many aspects of AC characteristics, including torque of the engine. this is what is making your AC yaw when you apply the throttle. Now where it is possible with practice to fly AH without rudder pedals, A joystick, and a throttle, it is highly reccomended that you get these. It will make your AH experience so much better. Until then you will have to manipulate your keyboard to apply rudder during takeoff, just apply right rudder to compensate for the yaw to the right, exception would be the typhoon and the yak which yaw  to the left.

I hope this helps

welcome to Aces High!

Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Help a learner
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2001, 04:50:00 AM »
About stick, throtle and rudder. Saitek X36 Flight control usb have all those things.

Price is not too bad in SimaWare shop 75£

Check also [ulr=http://www.saitekhelp.com/]Saitekhelp [/url]

Xjazz

Littleman

Help a learner
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2001, 06:48:00 AM »
Thanks for your time folks,I must have something set wrong,following everyones advice,even to sitting on the tarmac with the space bar (wheel brakes) applied (member qts)I am still travelling around in circles (cant even apply throttle without moving)wheel brakes not working?.Have also tried the auto take off (members soda and SKurj)and left it to do it on its own,still spins around in circles and if I get slightly off the ground I get alarm bells ringing and end up flat on my face!Oh for the knowledge.