Author Topic: 2.01 patch 3 deep freezes  (Read 304 times)

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
2.01 patch 3 deep freezes
« on: November 26, 2004, 04:14:09 AM »
Since 2.01p3 and (I think) the previous patch I have had unrecoverable screen freezes.

The screen just freezes up with the sound playing continually what was played at the time of the freeze.

I am not able to alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del or whatever to close ah2, I am required to hard reset the machine to recover.

Some of the textures disappear as the screen freezes, just like when I come back from a alt-tab. There are some more jaggies on the screen than normal but otherwise the screen simply freezes.

The problem is serious, I cannot play ah2 as of now. The freezes come frequently.

I have never had any problems with this before, only some minor, temporary freezes during the beta run.

I have also completely reinstalled windows, for other reasons than this, though. I reinstalled after the freezes started. This did not help at all.

Come to think of it, I think the freezes started after the patch that made it possible for gfx cards without T&L to run ah2.

I've played with the settings in Nvidia's drivers, that didn't help.

The Norton suite is disabled, but I am unable to remove it completely. The problem was present before I recently installed Norton.

I'll post some info on my system and ah2 settings:

DxDiag report

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 12:17:28 PM »
Did you try checking DISABLE OTHER PLANE SKINS ?  How bout that box HARDWARE VERTEX PROCESSING on the initial VIDEO SETUP screen when AH launches?  You say Norton is disabled but your EndItAll screen shows some of its services locked.  Try here -
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 12:30:28 PM »
Deselecting other plane skins would make me very sad;)

I disabled the Norton services, but I am not able to close/kill them. I seriously doubt Norton to be the problem, as I had the problem before Norton was installed.

I'll try the "other skins" and vertex thing when I have the time.

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 05:56:43 PM »
I think I may be onto something now...

For some reason my system now freezes completely (as described above) when selecting Spitfire MK V "312FS/RAF" skin by Sparow in hangar. The two other current skins doesn't cause any trouble.

I've tried deleting the spitV skins in the skins folder, I've also tried deleting the few files in that folder that doesn't relate to any specific skin. Then everything works until Sparow's skin is downloaded and I try to select it.

That makes me assume that my freezes has been caused by flying near a spitV with that (Spitfire MK V "312FS/RAF" by Sparow) skin selected. I know for sure there were several unidentified spits around at at least one of my freezes.

Then I should be able to avoid freezes by "disabling other plane skins" and make sure I never select that skin in the hanger. I need to fly a while in the MA to verify this as I can't see how I can test this on my own.

What I know for sure is that my system didn't have any problem with any skins up until a few AH versions ago.

This seems to be an odd problem...

To sum it up:

1. I know for sure that my system freezes by selecting the Spitfire MK V "312FS/RAF" by Sparow skin in the hanger, this I have checked many times and re-downloaded the skin to verify.

2. I'm guessing that other players flying around with that skin causes my system to freeze the moment the skin is loaded.

What could be wrong and how can i fix this without "disabling other plane skins"?

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 02:08:12 PM »
I have tested in the MA 2-3 hours of play with "disable other plane skins" selected, no freezes so far.

It seems to be safe to assume that the one thing that causes trouble on my system is the Spitfire MK V "312FS/RAF" by Sparow skin.

I would like help to get this problem solved, please.

edit: I tested and confirmed my assumption with a squaddie in the MA.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 04:24:11 PM by jodgi »

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 09:16:34 AM »
I'm having the same problem. Since the latest patch I keep having the deep freeze you described. Especially in the CT, where currently the only two allied planes are the Hurricane and the Spit Mk V. I didn't realize it was possibly a skin problem since I've never had this problem before, atleast until patch 3.

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo