Author Topic: F4UC  (Read 596 times)

TKO

F4UC
« on: April 08, 2001, 11:16:00 AM »
What is the trick to getting this plane off the ground with a heavy load. I end up bouncing all over till I crash  

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
F4UC
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2001, 11:55:00 AM »
dont need heavy load. you got guns.

If off a carrier, add half flaps, WEP and go. If from an airfield use the rudder on takeoff and immediately shift-x when you leave the ground.

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
F4UC
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2001, 02:14:00 PM »
**IMPORTANT** when launching the F4U from a CV be VERY careful to keep the ball centered.  Apply thrust slowly until full throttle then kick in WEP.  Otherwise you'll find the torque from the engine pulls the airplane off the CV and the rudder goes hard over and you just can't input enough rudder to compensate. Also, to increase your speed push the stick foward to get the tail up as quick as you can.  Once off the CV immediately retract the gear to reduce the drag.

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
F4UC
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2001, 07:01:00 PM »
VMF 323 has a number of experts flying the F4uc. My advice is to check in the training area with our squad leader Ripsnort who is also an offical Aces High Trainer.

On a carrier use full flaps and wep for takeoff. Keep a sharp eye out front and keep her straight down the deck, be ready to immediately retract wheels when off the deck, and don't try to pull her up. Just let it off, expect a slight drop, and retract wheels.

We practice this quite regularly with full fuel and as heavy a load as can be taken.

Once you master the CV, taking off on land is a breeze with only 20% flaps and no wep.

Practice

Ranger Bob