Author Topic: gameplay idea for those who fight..  (Read 4778 times)

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
gameplay idea for those who fight..
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 05:23:26 PM »
Not that bad an idea, as most who played the AH2 beta had a blast with the carrier battles we had going.
That is until the inevitable CV sinker showed up.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 05:53:37 PM »
Redd the same thing could be done on certain maps like Ndisles and Ozkansas with the furball islands. Just make the  hangers indestructible but make it so the strats can still be porked. Also make the fields uncapturable. (Fields would also have to not count towards reset)

I absolutely loved Fighter Town in the middle of the Big Pac map.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 05:53:44 PM »
Sounds like a blast. ;)

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2004, 06:05:41 PM »
If there is a "tank town", there should be a fighter town.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2004, 06:09:59 PM »
Count me in!   Say the word and I'll be there.  Just to have fun in

the FM2.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2004, 06:15:01 PM »
Where would i get me Kurt Tank beauty from then?

can't fly FW why bother B&Z'ing you low furballers?
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2004, 06:45:05 PM »
It would work out the same as old fighter town / ATOLL   did, would be crowded at first then most would be weeded out until only a few would be flying there most times.

Fighter Town ( the seperate Arena ) came into play in  AW3.... The Atoll was always there best I can remember as for the PTO map.

The ETO  was the Pond, then you had Valley of the Dweebs over there on the Az/BZ side  what was they Az83 and Bz84? 85?

anyhow  in the Big PAC or BigWeek map/arena  had the central fighter town/Island it had sail boats in the middle lake

always good fights in the Fighter Town Arena, Badz, Dead+, BigR, BigT, -HR-, Icer, Filth, Stick, WrW, Drano, Snowman, Kitty, Kanth, to name a few

either way A Fighter Town Arena or a central area like in the Oz map  with undestructable fields  would be fun for all!

It also does not take away or mess up others type of participation, Fun for ALL!
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2004, 07:17:55 PM »
What reason would the 20k guys have to come down?

We whine cause the cherry-pickers do thier thing in our space--they whine cause we whine---thinking about it---it would doom AH cause the player base that thrives on A2A stats needs furballers to survive.

Other than that--carefull what yu wish for lazs:)

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2004, 07:57:55 PM »
If it'd get Hajo out of the jug I'd be worth the price of admission. ;)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2004, 08:37:59 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
always good fights in the Fighter Town Arena, Badz, Dead+, BigR, BigT, -HR-, Icer, Filth, Stick, WrW, Drano, Snowman, Kitty, Kanth, to name a few

Yup, the separate FR Fightertown arena was the best.  Can't remember why they eliminated it in favor of the atoll in BigPork, but it may have been to supplant it with the Axis v. Allies arena, which never really worked out.

Not 1995, though, because I didn't get AW4Win until 10/96.  Best guess is that the separate arena was mid-1997 until mid-1998.

Lazs' idea would work out just fine; certainly wouldn't hurt anyone to try it.  In the meantime, of course, you can always meander over to the CT.

- oldman

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2004, 09:17:34 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Yup, the separate FR Fightertown arena was the best.  Can't remember why they eliminated it in favor of the atoll in BigPork, but it may have been to supplant it with the Axis v. Allies arena, which never really worked out.

Not 1995, though, because I didn't get AW4Win until 10/96.  Best guess is that the separate arena was mid-1997 until mid-1998.

Lazs' idea would work out just fine; certainly wouldn't hurt anyone to try it.  In the meantime, of course, you can always meander over to the CT.

- oldman

They didnt eliminate it, it was there till the end IIRC.  But if it did end it wasnt replaced by the atoll in Big Pac, that was always there.  Just that toward the end they made the fields capturable and destroyed the whole point of it.  Everyone whined that when they would take the surrounding fields, there would still be one an enemy could up from and they couldnt pork.  The RR Big Pac arena had an identical map, but the atoll remained unporkable there.  It was a great place to fly early in the morning, in either arena.  Always a few guys there while the rest of the arena was quiet or at least semi-quiet, flying zeros and Ki-43s and Hurricanes and Hellcats and .38s..........and of course the ever popular Ki-84.  We'd fight each other in endless circles until the arena started to heat up and whoever had fields closest to us would start BnZing us.

Yer right though, the seperate FT arena didnt come along until fairly late (IIRC they tried it twice with completely different maps).  It was a blast.  I still have films of dueling 109's with Drano (and dying most of the time), and pitting a Yak against Snowman's 38 (and dying some more lol).  And Kitty would make you laugh so hard tears would be flowing, and then she'd shoot your plane full of holes.  

The Axis vs Allies arena was there for a long time.  It had a very hardcore fanbase.  Numbers were often like AH's CT is now, except on the squad nights, then it would fill up.  Biggest problem with it was that very few people would switch sides when the numbers were low, as most of them were in squads and the AW system wouldnt let you be in a different country than your squaddies.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2004, 11:27:47 PM »
Originally posted by Redd
Why would you care if this was implemented ?

It's easy to do and doesn't adversely effect anyone else in the arena.

Think you'd be suprised how many players would jump in there for a casual furball when they felt like it.

What is it with these posts? Why not the DA for this? The DA has fields plenty close, and furballers could fight forever without anyone bombing anything.

If you all want this so bad there is a simple answer to just jump into the DA.....

But the underlying reason that the "furballers" don't make the huge un-fettered fight they want in the DA. Simple... NO SCORES! No matter how many say, "What's rank" or, "What's a score", they still like to see the score. They still want all those other players to see "SoAndSo Landed 500 Victories in an Un-Uber Early War Plane"

Your Furball awaits.. go to it. I bet if HTC put a new score page up with DA ranks and scores, the DA would fill up almost instantly.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2004, 11:38:41 PM »
the DA could be used yes, but  would be better if it had  a better layout.......you prob got a point about the score board issue too........some prob don't care but most prob do LOL!

I like the DA map up now where the bottom dueling filds let ya fight sort of like in a valley.......

don't see no reason why the DA could not host both DA and a Fighter Town type area, heck you get a GV area there ( I think ) where you are in like a circle sort of like tank town on trinity.......

everyone seems to want to play where everyone else is, ( ie... MA ) the oz map offers sort of a place like some wish for here, but you are able to capture any part of it, it is close but no cigar yet.....

my posting was only to see if I could offer up an opinion that prob has been said 10,000 times already which is trying to comprimise and satisfy both type players....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2004, 11:59:33 PM »
Originally posted by Midnight
What is it with these posts? Why not the DA for this? The DA has fields plenty close, and furballers could fight forever without anyone bombing anything.

If you all want this so bad there is a simple answer to just jump into the DA.....

But the underlying reason that the "furballers" don't make the huge un-fettered fight they want in the DA. Simple... NO SCORES! No matter how many say, "What's rank" or, "What's a score", they still like to see the score. They still want all those other players to see "SoAndSo Landed 500 Victories in an Un-Uber Early War Plane"

Your Furball awaits.. go to it. I bet if HTC put a new score page up with DA ranks and scores, the DA would fill up almost instantly.

If the DA had a 3-country setup in any of the areas for fighters like they do for the GVs it wouldnt be a bad idea.  Frankly, the map in the DA sux, and its useless for more than what it is.  A dueling arena.  Now if they'd put a row of "dueling" bases along the top, and then make the rest one solid map divided into 3 "country" areas with say 3 or 4 bases for each side, with only fighters enabled..........I'd fly there exclusively.  Since they probably arent going to revamp the DA just for us, folks are just trying to suggest something that would allow everyone to stay in the same arena and have the comfort of the crowds, while still getting that "i can always go here and find a minor furball without worries of bombers and GVs" thing we all crave every so often.  

Why are YOU getting so bent out of shape over it?  It's just a suggestion.  Obviously one people like, even if not everyone.  It probably wont ever happen, so why get your britches all wadded up in yer crack over it?  Wound a little tight are ya?  You seem to think the AH world revolves around scores.  None of the complaints about the DA have had anything to do with them, and no one in this thread even bothered to mention scores until you did.  Someone posted a wish.  Others piped in about how they could go for the idea, and some others of us compared it to setups they had in AW that served the same purpose.  Everything (except one) was positive and constructive, and whether it happens or not its nice to wish sometimes.  Why would you even care if they did do it?  Impact on the MA as it is would be minimal at best.  Maybe its just your nature to go through life attacking people who are in a better mood than you.  Sad.  Oh well, enjoy!

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2004, 12:18:44 AM »
Originally posted by Midnight

and the negative impact on you of this idea is  ........... ?
I come from a land downunder