Author Topic: Comparison between Mitsu's new sound pack and Waffle's?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Comparison between Mitsu's new sound pack and Waffle's?
« on: December 03, 2004, 12:01:29 PM »
Can anyone write up an objective comparison between Mitsu's new sound pack and Waffle's?

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 12:16:04 PM »
no, i have not tried mitsu's latest, although his are usually great.

i can tell you that waffle's are very nice and have been my sounds since version 1.0 came out.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 12:26:01 PM »
i can compare mitsu's 2.0 to waffle's

in my opinion a bunch of waffle's sounds are too quiet. there also is too much reverb in the explosions especially in GV's they dont make the subwoffer rumble or anything. i also personally really dislike the german voice "check 6" sound in german planes, american voice in american planes, and so on. when first using the pack you hear a voice and say "what was that" then get shot down.

i use a submarine "ping" for my check sound, it is distinct, and i know exactly what it means. this is just my opinion, but i had to go through each planes folder and manually delete 80 some files just to get the check 6 working the way i like it.

in my opinion when adding sounds other than the default enging / flaps / gear / ect. there should be a warning or notice of some sort.

mistu's sounds are ALOT like his AH one sounds, though some are 'beefier" i never cared for a few of his engine sounds, and the guns overall are definatly too loud for my personal tastes.

again these are just my personal opinions... nothing bad directed at either of the people who have put the tremendous effort into making these sound packs. i just happen to disagree with some of their ideas.

both
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 01:14:04 PM »
I recently tried waffles, I like em fine.  Have not tried Mitsu's latest, but I likked his previous ones too.  Actually the perfect sound pack for anyone is the one they put together for themselves out of the pieces of all these.  FOr example I like the check 6's in languages matching plane fine, where others don't.  It is cool it is all adjustable.

(FYI there was a quicker way to delete several similar files with a single command - if you are handy , this is danderous if you are not - you should use dos del command and wildcard characters)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 01:14:10 PM »
Originally posted by JB73

i use a submarine "ping" for my check sound, it is distinct, and i know exactly what it means. this is just my opinion, but i had to go through each planes folder and manually delete 80 some files just to get the check 6 working the way i like it.

Which plane had a sonar ping? I'll have to look that one up in my research materials...  :D

hehe j.k - to each his/her own.

I can tell you a little bit about my pack and what I'm trying to accomplish with it.

I've had much discussion/debate about the volume thing - and I will keep the wav files as they are. I prefer to keep the whole wav intact instead of digitall clipping it by increasing the volume of the wav. All that this means is that when you play AH, you have to turn up you headphones/speakers.

Part of the design/idea in this was to make it easier for the heaphone/voice users.

I'm trying to go for accuracy in a sound envioronment - which is tough to do considering real world envoironmentals compared to PC game evioronment. Hence some of the hits and explosions will have a tint of reverb, but not drowning in it. I'll take another listen to the GV explosions, for I haven't visited them in awhile.

Anyway back to the accuracy -  One big thing that was just accomplished was the rate of fire issue audio wise for the guns.
All guns now fire audible at close to thier specified rate of fire.
Before with some packs, and even the defaults - you would hear a standard gun fire rate, even though the gun was kicking out some 1200 rouds per minute. This last version 3.1 changed that.
And samples that I've used. A few folks that play this game that have been in the military and have heard 50 cals actually being fired - when they say - man these 50 cals on the gvs sound like the real thing - then I know I've done my job. :)

Engine sounds are also a big thing to me - even though I've never been in a ww2 aircraft flying, I've heard recordings of flights from inside and outside the cockpits. So I'm just trying to reproduce that with the AH2 sound engine. The only quirk with that is that there are not seperate internal/external perspective sounds. So I end up trying to blend the sounds at about a 70 to 30 ratio internal/extenal. It works in most cases though there are a few I'm not quite happy about.

Most of the planes have actual aircraft recordings used in them. Especially the engines. Some I take liberty and mix up some things like the p38 - currently it has the superchrger whine in it. (fyi - will be redoing the 38 in next version)

Stuff like flaps and gears are hard to peg down. as when they were engaged, there was a tactile feel to them as well as noises from the mechanicals moving and the airflow disruption. Any those are hard to find samples of the internal perspective of the gears flaps. But i'm trying - the P47 gear is authentic - the a6m series flaps/gear are authentic as well as the sakae 21 engine, as well as several more planes.

FYI - i'm currently collecting some more sounds for a new update - in this will be some new check 6 sounds as well as a selection of warning wavs that folks can choose what they want. I will also be undergoing rennovations to the yaks, temp/tiffs /p38
as well as looking at the hurricanes and a few others.
I also have a few GV issues to change, but all that will be listed when I get the updates out.

Anyway guys and thanks for the support - websites kicked over 1000 hits so far.

also a tangent here - Changing soundpacks is just like changing joysticks or getting rudder pedals. If you're not used to it -It freaks you and you get pissed..lol I remember moons ago I had mitsu's pack installed...anyway I ended up reformatting or something and forgot to put it back on. Anyway - Got into AH that even and I was like wtf...lol

the default check 6 scared the crap outta me...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 01:27:13 PM by Waffle »

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 01:31:43 PM »
Originally posted by Zanth
Actually the perfect sound pack for anyone is the one they put together for themselves out of the pieces of all these.  
exactly... i am (sorry waffle / mitsu / fruda / HTC / and some others i have collected) making my own for my own use....

i am also sorry i am using widoze sound recorder to bump up or down the engine levels until all are the same comming out of my speakers. i run one base sound in winamp, then run the windoze player one, and adjust until they are very close.

an example is always the typhoon engine. i hate the sound of it, and it is WAY TO LOUD in everyone's sound pack when sitting on the ground next to one reloading. it actually hurts my ears.

then i am saving all at 16 bit or something.

it is slow as heck this way LOL but i have no better tools nor the money for any.

waffle / mistu are probably crying hearing their sounds are being "re-done" in such a low-tech way, but i see no other option.

again and LOL at the frankenstein i am making for myself.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 02:49:08 PM »
Both Mitsu and Waffle are to be commended for making the game more enjoyable.  It takes time and effort to make these sounds.  The reality of which takes some time in the doing.  Nothing wrong with immersion

I'm using Mitsus new version.....it's great.

Haven't heard Waffels as of yet.......but I thank him for his time and efforts to improve the game also.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 03:06:45 PM »
im still useing sp4ads, hes got the most simple and functinal sound pack out imho. I would use waffles but the whole volume thing makes his hard to mix with others, and i cant hear my flaps deploy with his.

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 03:08:11 PM »
Someone said mine is arcadish and waffle's one is realistic.
It might be correct. :D

btw I like waffe's sound too. ;)

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 03:20:26 PM »
I am using mitsu's latest sound pac & really like it.
The only things I changed was I replaced the stall horn & check 6 with the original ah sounds.
  I was used to being able to ride the stall horn with the original
sound pac & tended to stall & get killed with mitsu's   :D
 Too impatient I guess.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 03:23:03 PM by MajWoody »
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 03:23:59 PM »
Originally posted by Mitsu
Someone said mine is arcadish and waffle's one is realistic.
It might be correct. :D

btw I like waffe's sound too. ;)

Both of yours are a bit arcadish compared to mine

:)

eskimo

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 03:29:10 PM »
wow my first double post ... sorry

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 03:29:25 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
Both of yours are a bit arcadish compared to mine

:)

eskimo
i have yet to try it, but i can't wait to take up a 262 with it LOL

i have 1/2 a mind to make the eng my default spitfire sound

Mitsu, yours is not arcadeish at all, just rather loud and booming. in my old apt with headphones it was ok, still had to turn the game vol down on some sounds so i could hear VOX, but now in the new place, the neighbor below complains if i up from a CV. all those BOOM's of the manned guns rattles the walls.

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 07:59:31 AM »
Waffle & Mitsu have great sounds.  I've been using Waffle's for serious play most of the time, though.

But, my favorite is eskimo's sound pack.

I laugh everytime puffy ack fires and when John Belushi yells, "fooooood fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiight!"  O, and the GV runs bring a tear to my eye.  LOL

:rofl :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 08:15:22 AM »
First time I heard explosions with mitsu's new pack I almost .. well.. it.. Well I almost had an accident, ok?

Scared the living bejeasus RIGHT outa ya.

Bomb explosions, flak, they are all awesome IMO.

Explosions are just that, Big, SCARY, Noisy.

Waffles has some VERY nice engine sounds, and I liked his flap sounds.

They are BOTH good, truly the only way to appreciate either of them is to try them.

If noise is an issue (sleeping wife, etc) try waffles.

If its not, try mitsu's, its a HUGE immersion building IMO.

to both!

AH is lucky to have such people who give back so much.