Author Topic: Front views ...  (Read 649 times)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Front views ...
« on: January 23, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
 http://saintaw.tripod.com/111_wilbus.jpg

Not the best I could find, but... all I had here, look at the way the bars are in the front view (this is MY Default front View BTW). now, my question is, how do you set your default front view ? i'm not talking vertical adjustmant, but horrizontal (up& dwn arrow on your keyboard). Especially with planes like the 109's or the LA5... these bars get in the way pretty nastily !

I actually use my "8" key view, and saved it being pushed in the back of my seat, all the way up (gives best overall vision)..but that's not , again, what i'm takin' about...

I have a feeling that if I get my nose too close to the front (& try to remain with no bars or dials at all) , the "view relationship" (sorry, English language lackings here   ) sems messed up (NOT Talkin about the Zoom).

In clear words : how do you manage to see anythin' outa that kite ! ?  

------------------
MASS/SAW
click  HERE for info on III./JG 5 Eismeer

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms."

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 01-23-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Front views ...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2001, 12:59:00 PM »

Originally posted by Saintaw:
In clear words : how do you manage to see anythin' outa that kite?

You don't    

This was a major problem for me moving from the 51 and its GREAT views.  I make liberal use of F8 and the arrow keys to reposition the enemy into a decent part of the viewscreen.  Once I enter into combat however, it does become a pain in the bellybutton as you lose the bogie behind one of these bars but as of yet, I have no good way to solve this aside from keeping on his 6  

The other problem I have with the La5 is the low muzzle velocity of the ShVaks.  Makes hitting anything outside of 300 an iffy proposition and those high G tracking shots very difficult.  Man I miss those 50cal laser beams.  The drop and rate of fire on the ShVaks are as bad as the 109s 30mm but a helluva lot less lethal.

-Ding

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Front views ...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
I want a 109 G10 With Bubble canopy and 6 .50's!!!

I'm sure someone has proof somewhere that it xists ! I know I dreamed about it last night!

Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Front views ...
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2001, 02:42:00 PM »

Originally posted by Saintaw:
I want a 109 G10 With Bubble canopy and 6 .50's!!!

I'm sure someone has proof somewhere that it xists ! I know I dreamed about it last night!

And I want an La-5 with a bubble canopy and 4 20mm hispanos.  Give them whiners something to REALLY whine about.

-Ding

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Front views ...
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2001, 06:31:00 AM »
While you can't do anything about the view restrictions of a specific plane, there is something you can do to minimize the problem.

What I do is this.  I adjust my "default" view as far forward as I can and leave it so I can just see enough of the dashboard to give me the minimal information I need when I'm engaged in a fight.  You should adjust this one to give you the best visibility around whatever view obstructions you need to deal with in your particualr plane.  I then map another button to "Forward" view, and I adjust that one back away from the dash, and usually down a bit so I can see all of my instruments.  Then simply adjust each of your other views to work around any obstructions as best you can.

Once you have that set up, it's simply a matter of doing two things.  First, you need to predict where the bogey is going in case you lose sight... plan to go where he is going so you don't NEED to watch him constantly.  Second, fly in a manner that will maintain a view of your opponent.  Sometimes this means using a high yoyo when a barrel roll attack might have been another option, sinc you can maintain sight better in the high yoyo.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Front views ...
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2001, 06:45:00 AM »
Yup Lepht, this kills me a lot : I will keep my Nme in sight whatever happens (I have my eyes glued to him), loosing sight of him for a split second makes me panic.

Then comes in that wonderfull SA I'm capable of .... "pingpingpingcrack!"

"You have been killed..."

------------------
MASS/SAW
click  HERE for info on III./JG 5 Eismeer --->>
"kindergarden must be closed... all those little girls running around screaming..."
 -Fd ski

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 01-24-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Front views ...
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2001, 11:07:00 AM »
I mapped the keypad / key to look forward and down, and also mapped a button on my stick to do the same thing. Comes in handy for both the La-5 and Fw-190 since you can't see all the gauges in either. As for the canopy rails down each side, that's easy to get around. In the P-38 there's same problem with those rails getting in the way of other views. You can see fine straight ahead, but not to the sides and behind yourself. So I used page up to get my view as high as possible, then saved it. Now I can see over the rails and not have to worry about someone hiding behind them.

For the 109 I only changed the rear views. Those rails don't bother me much and with a little roll I can see under or over them. No biggie.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb