Author Topic: Under the nose...  (Read 559 times)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Under the nose...
« on: January 23, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
I miss 99% of the shots, when the NME is under the nose... they always seem to be smarter than me (shadap) and manage to break a little to the side whenever I am "blind" (IE they are under my nose)

how do you "not miss" ?

EDIT : Yes , I tried With & Without Tracers, it dinnae matters, since I'm the blind one (that reminds me of Glasses's siggy, hehehe...)
------------------
MASS/SAW
click  HERE for info on III./JG 5 Eismeer

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms."

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 01-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 01-23-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Under the nose...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »

Originally posted by Saintaw:
how do you "not miss" ?

Become psychic so you know where they are going or develop the best luck in the world so that when you guess where they are going you are right.  

All joking aside, short story is to work for a better shot.  If they disappear under your nose, you are using a high-G shot which is a tough one to make.  Better to convert some of your speed to alt and wait until the bogie stops maneuvering so hard before you start a shot.  Otherwise you could always "spray and pray"  

-Ding

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Under the nose...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2001, 07:48:00 PM »
Many of my fights end up with me having the enemy under the nose.  Basically what I'll try to do is to shoot ahead of where I think the con is.  You can then easily adjust.

If they turn, well then you can just yo-you and be back on them in a second.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Under the nose...
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2001, 12:35:00 AM »
Use the force luke.

Take a look at what direction they are headed and pull to lead the con and shoot. Bearing in mind they can manuever whilst out of site - but they have to roll first. Slow rolling planes are easier to hit under the nose. Most planes dont roll too well at high speed either - hint.

Lets face it, they aint easy shots, but you do get better at them eventually. Sometimes it helps to roll 60-80 degrees so you can see him again and use the rudder to track him as they go past (you'll only get a split second as you run out of rudder travel, and you bleed E like its going out of fashoin, but it can work well).

You might be better off accepting that you wont hit him before you pull Gs trying. If ya think ya cant get it try to set up a better gun solution - dont waste ya E tryin.

---------------------------
           S p a t u l a

.---.        .-----------
      /     \  __  /    ------
     / /     \(  )/    -----
    //////   ' \/ `   ---
   //// / // :    : ---
  // /   /  /`    '--
 //          //..\\
    ====UU==UU====
            '//||\\`
              ''``

=357th Pony Express=

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 01-24-2001).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Under the nose...
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2001, 05:28:00 AM »
The trick is to keep closure speed very high - this way, they won't move very far.

For this reason, b&z'ers are superior  .

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"I don't necessarily agree with everything I think." - A. Eldritch

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Under the nose...
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2001, 06:24:00 AM »
Note, I meant that I miss 99% of the shots "under the nose" , not that 99% of my shots are done unde the nose  

F4U-D and the pony are easiest to deal with this (just save an extra "seat up" view...), but it "shucks -h " when you're in almost anything else... and to be honnest, I'd rather fly a 109. at least I can survive in those  

------------------
MASS/SAW
click  HERE for info on III./JG 5 Eismeer --->>
"kindergarden must be closed... all those little girls running around screaming..."
 -Fd ski

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 01-24-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.