Author Topic: question about flap.  (Read 527 times)

Offline herryson

• Zinc Member
question about flap.
« on: July 12, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
usaually I use flaps only in take off and landing-I'm newbie.

but many people seems to use flaps in combat.

would youu teach me?  ;)

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
question about flap.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2001, 11:14:00 PM »
IMO flaps should be used only in take off and landings period.

BUT on some planes they can give some extra lift in a turn at the cost of major bellybutton drag added.  

The planes with manuevering flaps are really meant to be kept as fast as possible and not turned in the first place but we do find ourselves in a bad position and trying to stay alive.

The 2 times that are exceptions to my flaps rule are:
1. You can tighten the top of a loop or immelman by adding 1 or 2 notches of flap just before you get to the top and taking them right back off as you go over.  It takes time for them to deploy and retract so timing is everything.  Get your plane cleaned back up quickly to recover your lost energy.

2. You find yourself in a tough knife fight and things have slowed you way down.  You are looking for a way to either win or force a mistake on the other guy so you can get the hell outta dodge.  Drop 1 or 2 notches of flaps to slow quickly or make a tighter turn to get ya outta trouble.  Remember tho this will get rid of your remaining energy and if it doesn't work will leave you a sitting duck.  The key is only use it when you think you are dead anyway and don't see any other way of staying alive another 30 seconds.

I am sure there are others that may point out some good times to drop flaps but my rule of thumb is NEVER GET SLOW ENOUGH TO NEED THE DAMN THINGS ANYWAY!  :D

S!
Rocket

Offline Betown

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ecomm-net.co.uk
question about flap.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2001, 02:27:00 AM »
I actualy have to agree with rocket. Unless you are an experienced fighter pilot it's not usualy a good idea to let you get low or slow enough to use flaps efectivly. Now, flaps should really be used to produce Drag and lift. There are a series of moves that flaps can be used in. Something I have found quite effective is to use flaps when Hamerheading Newbies  :)At the top of the loop hit two notches of flaps and when at about 25mph hit the rudder hard over, it helps a lot to stable it out on the way down. *BUT BEWARE* If you do this in the Hog then be prepaired to go into a flat spin because that thing is a squeak to hammerhead with  :) But as Rocket said, if you do get low and slow on the deck, stick down 2 notches of flaps and it will intrease your turn rate.

Don't use flaps on spits because they only have two flap settings (up/down) so only use them when landing. In combat most pilots didn't use the flaps at all on the spit because it didn't really need it.

Hope this has helped!!

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
question about flap.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2001, 07:50:00 AM »
Some good pilots recommend use of flaps(combat flaps simulated as "1 notch flaps" in some planes) in short turns. Other times, when you are about to make a "final move" - a move where you'll probably lose very much energy but you are sure you'll absolutely kill him with that final maneuver - you might need some flaps to assist your plane.

Other times, you might have to use one, like on top of a zoom when you have to flip over without stalling/spinning, or when you finish a long vertical looped zoom maneuver which ends in like 90mph.. few seconds of flaps to hold together while the plane accelerates..

And.. there is that use of flaps as a last resort maneuver.. when the guy behind you is almost slow as you, but won't be shaked.. you put on flaps, pull gears out and scissor your way to try for an overshoot.. but it really is a last resort move - a desperate gamble.

And, flaps are nice to use in lift offs in some situations - like CV take off. And, nice to use as speed breaks for quick landings. But for the landing part, it's not really that necessary, since the gears in aircrafts of AH are quite tough and forgiving.

¾È³Ä¼¼¿± ^^