Author Topic: no joystick can i still play???  (Read 739 times)

Offline eagle125fw

• Zinc Member
no joystick can i still play???
« on: July 22, 2001, 11:45:00 PM »
i dont have a joy stick......can i still play? i want to get it so the arrow keys to the flying.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2001, 12:03:00 AM »
Lets say you can "fly" with mouse...

Really, you MUST have joystick to fly this sim.

Offline eagle125fw

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2001, 12:06:00 AM »
i have one.....but it doesnt turn right on all the other sims i use it with...... i havnt tried it with this assuming its broke.....how can i fix it?

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2001, 04:37:00 AM »
You can fly with the mouse. You can't set up the arrow keys for flight control surfaces with the exception of rudder, A,S,D, and the use of trim. I highly reccomend the use of a joystick. This game is difficult enough for guys with good HOTAS setups, flying with a mouse makes it really difficult.

I would reccomend you purchase an inexpensive joystick. They are available for as little as $10 and you can buy a pretty decent one for about $30, the Logitech Wingman works pretty good.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2001, 08:11:00 AM »
http://www.pricewatch.com/

You can buy some decent to very good JS's here. Look for Gaming Hardware, click on that and go from there.  :)

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline laz

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
i fly with mouse and do quite well with it. it just takes a lot longer to get the hang or then a joystick. I will probable never go stick  :)

Offline raven 8

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2001, 07:13:00 AM »
ur kidding, why the heck would u WANT to fly with a mouse!!

go do urself and get a saitek x36 usb.......they are cheap now.

i just the love the feeling of flying with it, its really chunky

rav

Offline Guinn

• Zinc Member
      • http://work.sucks.lol
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2001, 08:06:00 AM »
I live in the UK and plan to get all the bits and bobs like Rudder, throttle and stuff.

I been looking at the CH range, and is all 3 bits (ie the f16 combatstick, throttle, and pro pedals) really worth the £400 it may cost???

At the moment, i use a joypad(with a stick) which has throttle rudder and a hat switch so it does the job - just not very precise.

Im really unsure wether to spend all this money on something that might not improve my flying that much.  What other stick+throttle combos are there that work well?  Is there any with pedals too?  as a 3 peice set?

CH has lots of buttons and stuff which i like but the cost is something i dont like.  I still beleive the joystick market has a long way to go for flight sims.  Where in the UK can i find a good joystick shop which stocks most brands, they all seem to have Thrustmaster or Microsoft only.

Offline october

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2001, 09:18:00 AM »
I just got the CH pedals and they are definitely worth it for the extra control and the fact that flying with them feels more like flying a plane!
(Mind you it's gonna be a while before I actually get used to them and use them to my advantage!!).
I have an old, cheap Saitek joystick with throtle on the side (£20) along with them - and I have to say it's really annoying sometimes because when you need to make critically small movements - you can't really get the control you need.
However, I wont pay the extra for the CH stick and throttle (or £300 for the Thrustmaster Cougar when it comes out here in October) until my flying is much improved and I know air combat more thorughly.....
[PS I put a post in hardware under CH products of where I got mine in the UK - I think it's the cheapest]

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2001, 01:39:00 PM »
trying to fly a combat flight sim WITHOUT a joystick is like trying to ride a bicycle without any pedals.  You'll get to where you're going but it won't be easy and it sure won't be pretty...  :D

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2001, 09:33:00 AM »
Heh, it is POSSIBLE to shoot down enemies with mouse only. If he's a newbie and doesn't see  :D