Author Topic: Day/Night Weather/Wind CLOUDS?  (Read 682 times)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Day/Night Weather/Wind CLOUDS?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2004, 10:47:12 PM »
rough seas were removed so that we hurritards could have a relatively safe 1-in-10 chance of survival whilst ditching in the water, compared to the 1-in-100 more likely faced by real RAF pilots. amazing what 1 case of good scotch can accomplish.

:D

ps: i do miss night, but don't have enough scotch to bring it back.

cheers,
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline KurtVW

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2004, 11:53:23 PM »
Originally posted by BBQ_Bob
If I am not mistaken you can still find this in the H 2 H rooms.

You can find anything in H2h... I mean in main.

Offline KurtVW

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Day/Night Weather/Wind CLOUDS?
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004, 11:55:33 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
If they were ripped (don't know, don't play) you can be sure it was to accommodate the mass of whining gamers.

:(

Wow, the pinnacle of cool.. You don't even play, but you stick around to give commentary?

Pardon me while I laugh soda out my nose.

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2004, 01:18:05 AM »
It couldnt be because they had to sort some other things out
before the clouds and wind return could it? like HTC said.

But what do they know, Im sure guys like Beetle and Midnight must know better.... HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
Cooleyof 367th

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2004, 04:45:27 AM »
Bring back clouds? AH has never had them in the first place unless you are including those grey blocks from AH1? :lol

I've mentioned in other threads about clouds and weather. Bit hard to see how you can have a flight sim without em these days.

...-Gixer

Offline scott123

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2004, 07:38:43 AM »
Would love some weather and clouds...it is getting stale there.I would like night too,but I don't think we will get it:confused :(

Offline streetstang

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2004, 07:51:19 AM »
There were never clouds at 25k in the MA.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2004, 02:40:09 PM »
OK, here's a question.  How would I go about putting clouds into the offline arena, as well as rain?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2004, 04:26:13 PM »
Originally posted by KurtVW
Rain is hard to do, Microsoft has been trying to get it right for 20 years and they have a lot more resources to apply to their sim.

Not really, weather is done very well in FS8 and 9 the only thing it can't do is sever storms like Hurricanes mainly because there isn't a computer that exists that can display that kind of storm. I actually tried a flight from MIA during the last bunch of hurricanes the
wind was there at correct speed just the rain wasn't as heavy as it should of been.

I've flown into some great tropical storms in FS9 with thunderclouds to 30,000 feet,lightning,turbulance and wind blowing anything from 0 to 250 knots. So not only have they got it right, but they got it right using global real world Met stations in real time as well.

Looks stormy and wet to me.

...-Gixer

Offline KurtVW

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2004, 11:44:17 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Not really, weather is done very well in FS8 and 9 the only thing it can't do is sever storms like Hurricanes mainly because there isn't a computer that exists that can display that kind of storm. I actually tried a flight from MIA during the last bunch of hurricanes the
wind was there at correct speed just the rain wasn't as heavy as it should of been.
-Gixer

You didn't read what I said...  I didn't say that the current version of FS can't do it... I said they took 20 years to figure out how to do it...  And they are doing it with a MUCH larger staff of programmers (resources).  And as you pointed out in your post, They STILL haven't nailed it.

I'm first to admit FS2004 has very good weather.  FS2004 also has about 50 million times the budget that HTC has.

Anyhow, funny that you talk about Florida huricanes and post a screen shot of the Dutch Harbor Alaska challenge flight.  I don't remember seeing any snow covered hills in Florida in hurricane season :p

Rain is hard to do, Microsoft has been trying to get it right for 20 years and they have a lot more resources to apply to their sim.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 11:49:09 PM by KurtVW »

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2004, 01:46:02 AM »
You didn't read what I said...  I didn't say that the current version of FS can't do it... I said they took 20 years to figure out how to do it...  And they are doing it with a MUCH larger staff of programmers (resources).  And as you pointed out in your post, They STILL haven't nailed it.

I'm first to admit FS2004 has very good weather.  FS2004 also has about 50 million times the budget that HTC has.

Anyhow, funny that you talk about Florida huricanes and post a screen shot of the Dutch Harbor Alaska challenge flight.  I don't remember seeing any snow covered hills in Florida in hurricane season :p

They haven't nailed it, simply because there isn't a computer that can run it. Not the software. MS uses real met stations and weather to match which works very well.  Over the 20 years they have done an excellent job with FS and it's development for  the PC and the whole FS community.

As for the screen shot you can't seem to read yourself. It was just a example of the weather and rain in FS. I have others of thunderstorms,snowstorms,fog,lightning etc,  while on different flights. I never tried to make out that it was a hurricane and in Florida. If I had a pic of those flights I would of posted them.

As for MS having millions and poor HT being a small company, true enough but really what's that got to do with the price of fish when both are charging full price for admission?

Personally I don't see any point for rain and snow in the MA. Majority have a console quake like mentality and just wan't to kill stuff and don't want anything getting in the way. Though I do think clouds,wind and some sort of day,night cycle like WW2OL are important.

...-Gixer

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2004, 09:15:25 AM »
Lasersailer, would be easier to do if you hosted a H2H session actually.

When you host a session in H2H it gives you all the same controls HTC has in the arena's.

BTW in case anyones really missing the clouds. Pop into the TA & fly around A1 sometime. We see them almost aways floating around from 8k down to the deck.