Author Topic: Auto-retract Flaps?  (Read 743 times)

Damned Wind

Auto-retract Flaps?
« on: April 26, 2001, 10:51:00 PM »
Okay..

Why do my flaps automatically retract?  There are times when I would LOVE to keep one notch of flaps down.

Is the "auto retract" feature to protect people from forgetting their flaps are down?  If so, why?  If folk drop flaps, should they not be responsible for remembering to put them back up?

Is this only in a "couple" of planes or is this across the board?

I'm quite confused..

Wind

[This message has been edited by Damned Wind (edited 04-26-2001).]

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Auto-retract Flaps?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2001, 11:29:00 PM »
Most planes the flaps will get pushed up by the wind as you increase speed.  You won't be able to drop them again until you slow down enough to for the wind not to hold them up. Usually this is around 150mph or so.  The flaps on the P51 and F4U (think p38) can be deployed at 250mph or less to use as combat flaps.

S!
Rocket

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Auto-retract Flaps?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2001, 02:03:00 AM »
Fly the P-51  

1 notch can stay down and be deployed at any speed below 390 IAS  
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Damned Wind

Auto-retract Flaps?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »

Originally posted by Rocket:
Most planes the flaps will get pushed up by the wind as you increase speed.  

Not being a real pilot, I have to ask..  Did this happen in real life?  Is the AH model realistic or is it a playabilty tweak from the developers?

Wind

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Auto-retract Flaps?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »
Yeah that answer puzzles me too. I'm not a pilot either but I've never heard anything like that before. Remember that flaps provide not only lift but also drag--that's another part of why they're used on landing. To help keep the plane stable and slow.

This brought to mind a flaps story that applies--to WW2 planes too. I was at the Reading (PA) WW2 days airshow a couple of years back. There were 3 P-51's and a P-40 that were going to do a missing man flight. They took off individually and made circuits of the field to form up. One of the Ponies was lagging terribly. I was standing next to a guy with a scanner tuned to the tower frequency and he was listening to the flight. The lagging pony driver was saying he'd been thru everything he could think of and was running at a high manifold pressure and still couldn't catch the others. He was considering coming down to find out what the problem was. Well after some back and forth with the other pilots in the flight what do ya think was the problem? Anyone? That's right--he forgot to raise his flaps after takeoff! He pulled em in and ziiip--right into formation. Pretty as a picture.

Yeah so I don't think its a wind pushin em back up thing. If anything there I'd think wind might jam em down until you got slow again. Same as they won't deploy if you're too fast. Make sense?

Just my thoughts. I wouldn't mind that the flaps came in automatically its just that they seem to come in a bit too soon throwin a monkey wrench into the works! I seem to have manual control of just about everything else in this game--trim and prop speed for example. Why not flaps too? I got a button mapped for bringin em in. There's a command for it here. So why make em come in automatically? That's the puzzling part.

Damned Drano

Originally posted by Damned Wind:
Not being a real pilot, I have to ask..  Did this happen in real life?  Is the AH model realistic or is it a playabilty tweak from the developers?

Wind

[This message has been edited by Drano (edited 04-29-2001).]
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Auto-retract Flaps?
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
Real Aircraft have speed limits on flaps. You can only drop a certain amount at each speed without incurring damage to the flap. The auto flap retraction is trying to mimick that to a degree. Would you rather the flaps be destroyed or stuck in place if you exceeded their speed limitations?

[This message has been edited by Mark Luper (edited 04-29-2001).]
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Auto-retract Flaps?
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2001, 01:46:00 PM »
too avoid flap damage

fly the 109 and forget about flaps  

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Auto-retract Flaps?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2001, 08:43:00 PM »

Originally posted by Eagler:
too avoid flap damage

fly the 109 and forget about flaps  

Eagler

LOL Strangely enough Wind and I wing a lot and both fly 109's!. We're making the transition from AW where we were both 109 master flappers. That just don't cut it here as we're finding out. In AW if you left flaps out and gained speed what happened was usually a violent nose down pitch that didn't respond to stick. But we never flew with flaps out fast--just for slow turning. When we tried to use our AW flap technique here, flaps seem to come back up JUST as you bottom a loop (say 151mph) turning you into a very nice pancake if low. Irritating as all hell! And something we're definitely NOT used to. We're learnin. Thankee much sirs.

Drano

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Auto-retract Flaps?
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2001, 06:16:00 AM »
Nope, the old AW "work the flaps, like an accordion" tactic doesn't work here  

Which is realistic considering that most aircrafts flaps were designed for takeoff and landing, not as combat manuevering flaps.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure