Author Topic: Need help for 1on1 fights.  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Need help for 1on1 fights.
« on: April 29, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
Someone willing to train with me?

Flew a couple of "sparing fights" with Wilbuz today, D9 vs D9 and got my bud handed over pretty good by him.

We both couldnt really figure out why he came out of the merge above me normally, cause i usually was the faster one.
Is it possible that use of combat trim affects E retention negative?

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2001, 08:41:00 PM »
fuel weight and ammo load makes a big difference in a 1v1 w equal pilots.

assuming these variables are equal then entry speed and entry altitude is the determining factor in who wins the merge.
whoever wins the merge has half the battle won and only needs to remain behind their opponent and saddle up or take the snapshot.

timing.
speed.
position.

everyone with half a brain goes up vertical in a head on 1v1 merge in one way or another.

the trick is to position yourself in a manner that puts you directly behind your opponent as they go upwards after the merge.

the less subtle players do this by diving down below you  a mile or so prior to the merge. this allows them to follow you up guns blazing when you go vertical if you dont counter this move by also diving to an altitude equal or below their new altitude.

manage your speed carefully.
if you maneuver too much trying for position when going vertical you will stall out early and loose the advantage.

thats all for now.

more info later if requested.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2001, 03:02:00 AM »
Naudet, I'm often online at the same time as you.  Look me up anytime for some 1-v-1 fun  

P.S.  there is a 'trick' to coming out on top of the merge, even if both aircraft enter at exactly the same airspeed, weight and altitude.

[This message has been edited by Jekyll (edited 04-30-2001).]

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2001, 05:49:00 AM »
Jekyll than Wilbuz must have used it, cause entry speed, alt, and weight were nearly the same.

I will message u inside the game. Ty

ArtLaws

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2001, 06:29:00 AM »
Go to rogerwilco.com >Download and install
(IF YOU HAVE NO MIKE ITS OK )  I talk and you listen.  If Im not in Training Arena Im in H2H.  Im pretty ez to find.  If you have a mike tune RW to 4.42.21.38 and speak to me.    I will meet you and we will get you up to speed in no time .  Looking Forward to it.  Salute Art

Offline illo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2001, 10:11:00 AM »
Why dont people tell these things openly to newbies? Somekind of inside secrets mb?  

-unload before merge. (push nose down until 0G)
-begin your climb slightly before you pass eachother.
-dont pull to much G when going vertical.
-when you zooming up try to keep 0G, unload if needed.

Here is my piece of knowledge, i hope it helps.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2001, 12:34:00 PM »
email me , will be glad to help
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2001, 01:53:00 PM »
illo,

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  Assuming the same airplanes with weight, speed and altitude all being equal at the merge it all comes down to energy retention in the zoom climb and getting a lead turn.  Don't know what else it could be.

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2001, 03:15:00 AM »
Most guys blow much of their potential altitude advantage on a vertical merge by continuing to pull Gs all the way through the merge, as though they were performing a half loop.

The trick to maximising your altitude advantage is this:  when you merge pull gently into about a 20-30 degree climb ... hold that straight climb at 1g until your airspeed decays to about 200mph, and only THEN commence your 2g pullup to your immelmann turn.

Personally, I hate the vertical merge turn.  There is a real tradeoff there between altitude and airspeed.  Go for max altitude, and when you get to the top you will be right on stalling speed.  Go for a fast vertical reversal, and you will be lower than the other guy but perhaps with a tad more airspeed to maneuver.

I've been experimenting lately with doing a (gasp, horror) horizontal turn into the merge.  I know that's heresy to the E fighting crowd, but I believe that if done right it offers considerable advantages over the vertical merge, particularly if your opponent does decide to go vertical.  A wide, low G horizontal turn will prevent your opponent being able to easily convert his vertical merge to angles.  Often he will see you in that flat turn, deduce you are a complete dweeb, and dive in for a quick kill.  But since you have maintained your 300mph throughout your flat turn you can NOW go vertical and force his vertical overshoot, handing you both a positional and energy advantage on a platter.

An unconventional move certainly, but one which is showing promise  

------------------
Jekyll
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
Aces High Training Corps

Offline illo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2001, 05:11:00 AM »
Youre right jekyll. In 190 ive been using zoom ups after merge.(In AH if i just climb in 30dgr they seem always just pull immelmann to my tail and catch me)

In 109, yes i would go to shallow climb(max 40drg). No one can catch you there.

If planes are identical latter one would be better option i guess.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2001, 06:31:00 AM »
Jekyll,

I find it depends a great deal on your airspeed an your airplane.  Basically, depending on the situation, I use a varying degree of oblique angle in a reversal.  I don't go completely flat, but something more like a an immelman that's tilted 45 degrees to one side.

The problem with the completely vertical reversals, is that given roughly equal planes and energy states, it's going to end up in a nose to nose low speed shootout at the top of the first or second immelman.  My gunnery just isn't good enough to win those, and my lack of rudder pedals means I can't tune a shot at very low speed nearly as well as some others.  The result is, that sometimes you don't want to end up in that position, so a different merge move may be called for.  There is nothing wrong with some horizontal component in your merge, provided your situation and airplane performance merit it.

Just beware, you need to be thinking 3 moves ahead at this point.  You don't win a merge in the horizontal very often immediately, so you need to predict what the other guy will do, and plan a series of moves to put yourself in position a few moves later.

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2001, 07:35:00 AM »
Exactly right Leph.

And here's my thinking on it.

You go into a low G fairly flat turn while the other guy goes vertical.  Because you are maintaining low G, you have a wide turning circle which generates some horizontal separation whilst at the same time hiding your energy state.

Your opponent sees you turning flat, and will often roll his lift vector over to generate some lead for a shot.  As he begins his pulldown you break upwards and do a wide barrel roll, forcing the vertical overshoot and placing you high and behind him as he passes.  Now at this stage he has two options:

1.  He extends from the fight and rebuilds his energy.
2.  He tries to regain his previous altitude by pulling on the pole, in which case he is shortly dead.

The guys to worry about are the ones who go vertical and drive to a lag position, waiting to drop on your 6 from above.  Even here though, the airspeed you have retained from your low g turn will often allow you to go vertical (which they will rarely expect)and force a few turns of a rolling scissors.  If you can drive to lag early on in the scissors, your opponent is gonna be in trouble unless he manages his energy very carefully or extends at the first opportunity.

Like you, I'm not a good enough shot to rely on outzooming my opponent in a purely vertical duel.. hanging in the air at 100kias as we merge head to head in the inverted position.

------------------
Jekyll
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
Aces High Training Corps

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2001, 01:50:00 PM »
Jekyll,

I would say your flat low 'g' turn is an interesting but yet dicey move.  You still will burn some 'e' in the turn and with such a wide turn radius the guy may have already pulled an Immelman or some reversal (Hammerhead - he he he) on you and started diving before you've completed your turn (some of these guys like Wardog pull some incredibly fast reversals).  Now, he's on your six WITH altitude.  You just have to be very diligent of your SA and keep an eye on him, difficult to do in AH with the view system as he's above and behind and the angle is changing due to your flat turn.  Good idea on the re-merge to pull up and get his vertical overshoot.  But if he's smart, and I'd bet whoever's doing this maneuver is, he'll just pull up into the vertical again probably with more 'e' than you since you burned some in your flat turn AND he'll have an angle advantage.  As I said this is an interesting move and pilot skill and 'e' states ALL must be evaluated in seconds to make the RIGHT move at the right time.

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2001, 02:27:00 AM »
The main point Spitlead is that there are few fliers in AH who really understand the whole E equation.

They regard altitude as King, yet often ignore the other part of the energy equation: airspeed.  How many times does a con present himself as a gift by climbing up to your altitude and slowing to near stall speed?  

In a contest between aircraft of equal E states; one high but slow and the other low but fast - I'll bet on the low, fast guy anytime!

------------------
Jekyll
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
Aces High Training Corps