Author Topic: Gunsight deflection and and  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Grumps

• Zinc Member
Gunsight deflection and and
« on: August 07, 2001, 06:20:00 PM »
Just out of denseness what is deflection? my problem isnt gun sights but rather limited view still if any can aide me I'd be very appreciative  :)  :eek:    :D   :eek:   :p   :eek:

Offline Grumps

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2001, 06:24:00 PM »
ignore this i did it wrong :(

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2001, 07:29:00 AM »
Well your off to a good start reading the boards anyway!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2001, 07:57:00 AM »
Well, I'm not clear what issue your having, but I don't think you'll go wrong by having a read of my view system article.  :)
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/views.htm

"Deflection" means "The deviation of a shot or ball from its true course."

"Deflection shooting" is shooting from a position where you have to aim somewhere other than directly at the target to compensate for the deflection of your rounds in relation to the target.  Almost all gunnery in air combat will involve some deflection compensation, but we use the term to refer to shots that require a high degree of compensation for relative shot deflection.  For example, if I am tracking an opponent and we are in a 3 G turn, I will have to compensate for the relative deflection of my bullet stream due to the G forces we are pulling.  It means I'm going to have to aim quite far ahead of the target and a bit above in order for my bullets to hit.  It takes an understanding of ballistics and flight, coupled with lots of practice to be able to compensate for high degrees of deflection.  In the real war, very few pilots would attempt a shot like that since it is so difficult and likely to have other consequences such as gun jamming.  In a game like AH we have a lot more experience and none of the penalties they had, so we tend to attempt and connect with more difficult deflection shots on a regular basis.

Always remember, the more deflection you have to compensate for, the more lead you have to pull.  Pulling more lead means you are burning more energy than the other fellow, and that can be fatal.  Often you are better to not shoot a situation where you are pulling G's, instead conserving your energy and staying in position for the higher percentage shot to appear a bit later in the fight.  On the other hand, there are times when you need to end the fight RIGHT NOW, and that's when experience at deflection shooting pays off.  :)

Offline raven 8

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2001, 08:07:00 AM »
lephturn.

good advice about not burning e in pulling Gs while shooting.

i learnt it the hard way:-)

rav(messiah1)