Author Topic: Flying the Dora.  (Read 1211 times)

Offline PeterCrump

• Zinc Member
Flying the Dora.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2001, 09:58:00 PM »
The Dora-9 was rated the Number 2 fighter of World War II by Cpt Eric Brown.  Brown was the CO of the RAF's test squadron who flew and evaluated captured Axis planes. His top 3 fighters were:
1. Spit 14 - Only because it had a "slight" turning advantage on the Dora and "I'm British"
2.190D-9 - "Finest prop fighter the Luftwaffe produced in numbers" Turned tighter (sustained) than any other late war GE fighter. However "that excellent 190 roll rate" was slightly reduced. Was in Brown's words "a very tough choice" choosing between the Spit 14 and the Dora
3. P51D mustang - It's long range and numbers became the straw that broke the Luftwaffe's back.  It's speed made it a fighter to be respected.

JG26 taught its pilots to:
1. outrun/outzoomclimb/outdive a spit
2. outturn and "depending on fit and trim" of the Dora outrun a tempest
3. outrun, outclimb and outturn a P47 but never dive with one
4. outturn a P51 and if low outrun it
Compared to the 190A-8 the Dora was:
1. Faster
2. Better Climbing ability
3. Didn't roll as well
4. Turned tighter
Cpt Eric Brown's Opinion can be read in last years "Flight Journal Fighters special edition"
JG26's evaluation can be found in "JG26 War Diaries Vol. II 1943-1945" by Don Caldwell
I think AH should strive to make the flight models as close to the planes actual capabilities as possible.  At least in relation to other a/c of its time.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Flying the Dora.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2001, 02:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Crump:
The Dora-9 was rated the Number 2 fighter of World War II by Cpt Eric Brown.  Brown was the CO of the RAF's test squadron who flew and evaluated captured Axis planes. His top 3 fighters were:
1. Spit 14 - Only because it had a "slight" turning advantage on the Dora and "I'm British"
2.190D-9 - "Finest prop fighter the Luftwaffe produced in numbers" Turned tighter (sustained) than any other late war GE fighter. However "that excellent 190 roll rate" was slightly reduced. Was in Brown's words "a very tough choice" choosing between the Spit 14 and the Dora
3. P51D mustang - It's long range and numbers became the straw that broke the Luftwaffe's back.  It's speed made it a fighter to be respected.

JG26 taught its pilots to:
1. outrun/outzoomclimb/outdive a spit
2. outturn and "depending on fit and trim" of the Dora outrun a tempest
3. outrun, outclimb and outturn a P47 but never dive with one
4. outturn a P51 and if low outrun it
Compared to the 190A-8 the Dora was:
1. Faster
2. Better Climbing ability
3. Didn't roll as well
4. Turned tighter
Cpt Eric Brown's Opinion can be read in last years "Flight Journal Fighters special edition"
JG26's evaluation can be found in "JG26 War Diaries Vol. II 1943-1945" by Don Caldwell
I think AH should strive to make the flight models as close to the planes actual capabilities as possible.  At least in relation to other a/c of its time.

I really think that most of the comparing planes traits is tough to do.  There are a ton of different variables to it.  

For instance- The 190D9 IS faster than the Spit(9 at least)- but the Spit accelerates faster.  You can outdive a Spit, but you'd better be at least 600 yards away when you start, or he'll close in the first 5 seconds and seperate the tail end of your plane from the rest of it.  As far as out zooming it- it is really tough to outzoom anyone if you are going the same speed, the pursuing plane always has an advantage when two aircraft are going vertical.

Never fought a Dora against a Tempest in AH.

The Dora can outturn and outrun the P51 at low level.  Well, at least I can do it, I don't know if the airplane is "supposed" to be able to do it.

Compared to the 190A8-

The Dora in AH IS faster- a lot faster.  Also accelerates better.

The Dora also outclimbs the A8 handily.

Turning rate- thats sort of odd.  I've heard that the A8 has a better turn rate initially, then the Dora surpasses it.  I imagine the turn radius of both planes is pretty big compared to most planes.

And lastly- the Dora does not roll as quickly as the 190A8 in aces high.  

I'm curious though, if the Dora and the A8 had the same wing, why would the roll rate be different?  I thought that roll rate was purely a function of aileron size and wing size.  I could see the turning performance being different, since the 190D9 and the 190A8 weighed different amounts, but can someone explain to me the scientific exlanation for roll rate?