Author Topic: Gun Loadouts  (Read 596 times)

Offline XrightyX

• Copper Member
Gun Loadouts
« on: December 18, 2004, 04:48:50 AM »
Can anyone tell me taking the smaller gun loadouts in planes like the P47, P38 or Mossie makes a difference in performance?  What's the approximate weight of 200 rounds of ammo?  In a plane like the P47 which weighs 14,000 + lbs, would you ever notice a difference?

Thanks in advance

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Gun Loadouts
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 07:46:58 AM »
Some people swear by loading a P-47 with 6 .50s with the light loadout, and 50 fuel and a DT.  

I think that if you want a plane with 6 .50s, up a P-51 instead, since it is still a better plane than a P-47 with 6.  

I usually go light loadout in the P-47, but that is because I always run out of gas before I run out of ammo, so I figure the light load isn't hurting me any.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Gun Loadouts
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 07:47:25 AM »
On some planes, a very definate yes.

Try taking the 4 gun package on the P51D.

Its enough to make a difference that you can feel in a turn fight.

Offline XrightyX

• Copper Member
Gun Loadouts
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 08:31:49 AM »
Thanks fellas,

You know, I was only considering the ammo load.  Removing a pair of guns would make a bigger difference...especially an outer pairs of guns in the wings.

Problem is w/ 4x 0.50s in P51D, I'm such a bad shot I need all I can get!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Gun Loadouts
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 10:25:33 AM »
anyone who doesnt use 8X50cals in the jug needs there head looking at :p
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Gun Loadouts
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 02:41:33 PM »
Reduced armament and/or ammo load and/or fuel load makes a big difference in a dogfight.  Can surprise many opponents by taking a fighter that usually is loaded as a heavy long-range jabo and instead fighting it as lightly loaded as possible.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Gun Loadouts
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 03:34:42 PM »
i dump all my .303 ammo in the mossie.  It may just be a placebo but i like to think it helps.:)
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Gun Loadouts
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 04:47:15 PM »
xrityx, try this offline and you'll see, at least in this case how weight might affect things.  Take a jug with 75% fuel and the largest ammo load and auto take off to 10k or so.  Time it.

next, try it with the smallest ammo load and 25% fuel.

next, spend all the ammo out of the six 50's prior to take off.  

the difference is pretty amazing.  since i enjoyed jabo sorties the most, i used the small ammo load out and let the ordinance do most of the work.

good luck, Hap

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Gun Loadouts
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 12:46:00 AM »
I usually fly the P-38 with the smaller ammo load, 50% fuel and a single drop tank, unless I'm defending, then just 50% is enough. With the lighter ammo load, performance is noticably improved, especially when tangling with fighters like Spitfires, Nikis and the Ki-84.

P-47Ds: 6 guns short clip, 50% and belly tank or, 8 guns same fuel. There's a trade-off here, better performance vs more punch. However, the performance difference isn't huge. Loading 8 guns and full ammo will make a significant difference though.

Rather than take a P-51D with 4 guns, I'll just take a P-51B. It handles better anyway. Yeah, the P-51D is a bit faster on the deck, but between 14k and 20k the P-51B may be the best fighter in the game. You can fly the F4F-4 with 4 guns, but I woundn't bother when the better performing FM-2 already has 4 guns. Likewise, when flying the P-40E I'll load 50% and the belly tank. That will take you about 4 sectors as fuel comsumption is excellent in the P-40. But, due to a small ammo load-out, the P-40 usually runs out of ammo before it runs out of gas.

As a rule, I NEVER take more fuel than I actually need. Simply loading external fuel will get you anywhere you may want to go.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Gun Loadouts
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 01:45:20 AM »
you guys are giving away  all our  Jug society secrets , and you should be shot ..
Now your gonna let out the fact that it can out turn a pony  :rolleyes:
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline OLtos

• Zinc Member
P-38 ammo loadout
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 10:52:42 PM »
Widewing is absolutely correct the light ammo loadout in the P-38 is critical.  The difference is almost 450 POUNDS all of it forward of the pilot.   This makes a huge difference in how the p-38 handles in tight turning situations

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Gun Loadouts
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 10:15:42 AM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
you guys are giving away  all our  Jug society secrets , and you should be shot ..
Now your gonna let out the fact that it can out turn a pony  :rolleyes:

Roscoroo is right.  Jug can be a turnin' beast.  Not "nimble" mind you, but turn she can esp. if she's weighted correctly.

Hap