Author Topic: Video card problems  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Aplane

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.midwesttoysofiowa.net
Video card problems
« on: December 19, 2004, 08:41:43 PM »
I just installed a G-force FX 5500 128 Mb DDR Pci card and now I can't get into game? Everything worked just fine until I installed
this card, now when I go to open AH2 the select video card screen pops up, but no matter what I click on it goes to the famous Microsoft has incountered an error and must be closed. The screen goes to something like 3 bit color and a screen res. of about 600 x 300. LOL. All i know about this is that it is messing with my flight time and I'm getting VERY UPSET.:mad:

PLEASE HELP ME ASAP...

POS Dell Dimension 4500S
2.8 Ghz
Windows XP
768 mg ram
POS video card that don't work
and all the other high tech crap you guys write in here:confused:

Offline JB66

• Copper Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/ssbranni
Video card problems
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 08:59:38 PM »
Does this happen in other games?  Try re-installing direcx 9 and re-installing a current driver.  A good sight to get drivers is http://www.guru3d.com.  A good driver I use is the 61.12 driver.  It's not certified, so if this matters to you then find one that is.

If you do this and it still happens, I would think you have a bad video card, I've seen this happen before.  2d and desktop work fine, but the second you start a 3d game in directx it gives the error.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Video card problems
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 10:57:57 PM »
go into your bios and disable your onboard video . then install the video cards drivers .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Video card problems
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 04:21:55 AM »
Try going into your Aces High folder and deleting the video8.cfg file, doing this should ensure that Aces high correctly identifies your new video card.
In the past this cured a similar problem for me after a video card upgrade.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Video card problems
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 07:06:35 AM »
Make sure you are using the 61.77 video drvers for that card.  It soulnds like you installed the 5x.xx drivers, which had numerous bugs for the FX 5xxx cards.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Video card problems
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 10:00:01 AM »
Actually I have the reverse.......... on 2 PC's

Shifts has recently been upgraded to the FX5700 and the two  6x.xx drivers (available) gave severe problems in game whilst the 54 drivers run well.

I recently tried to upgrade my drivers from those shown on the Dxdiag below and ended up with pixel hell as soon as the game opened. I am now back to the 54 drivers too.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Aplane

• Zinc Member
Video card problems
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 10:08:48 PM »
I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING???
I even went back to my on board graphics and set everything up like it was prior to this damn new card and guess what------
That don't work either. I go to my HTC folder to delete the video8 file and there is nothing in the file. When I start AH2 the select video card window pops up and the screen looks like i'm in safe mode. No matter what I click on it says AH2 has encountered an error and must close. I getting more mad every second. This is cutting into my $15.00 per month average. (Told the wife the more I play the cheaper it gets per hour.) (LOL)
Don't think she is buying it though.

PLEASE WELCOME THE NEWEST MEMBER OF THE :

IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT CLUB:mad:

PLEASE HELP
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 10:17:24 PM by Aplane »

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Video card problems
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 10:58:07 PM »
Aplane, I agree with Roscoroo. It really sounds like you have not disabled your on board video.

You need to uninstall your current video drivers for your onboard video, then disable it. Once you have done this, you need to install the current drivers for your new video card (assuming that the card has been installed).

If your screen looks like it is in safe mode, it may mean that you do not have a working video driver, or it's just not installed.

Reread the card manufactures instructions on how to install it, and make sure that you haven't skipped over a step.

Good luck.

RTR
The Damned

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Video card problems
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 05:41:06 PM »
definately check out the BIOS settings........

get a MB manual from Dell

As its a PCI card could he have entered IRQ hell?
Ludere Vincere

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Video card problems
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 01:06:45 PM »
Found this on Dell's sight. Should apply to your system.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1033493&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

How do I disable or change the onboard video settings for my Dell™ Dimension™ L series computer?

Discussion

The Dell Dimension L series systems have integrated video chips in the system motherboard. If you wish to install an additional video card in the system as the primary video card, you must change the System Setup video configuration. There is no option to disable the onboard video, you can only change which video chipset is the primary one.

NOTE:  Before you proceed any further, determine whether or not the video chipset is integrated on the motherboard. Refer to: http://support.dell.com/us/en/docs/index.asp. Click Dell Documents, click Systems, click Dimensions, and then select your system model from the list. The Technical Specifications will contain information about the video options for the system model. Refer to the section Removing and Replacing Parts for help with the physical installation of the additional video card.

Solution

To change your primary video from the onboard video to the PCI video card, perform the following steps:

Turn on (or restart) your system.
When the blue Dell logo appears, press the key.
The blue Dell logo will change size and position and the message Entering Setup appears.
Press the key again if you do not see the message or logo change.
The Dell Dimension System Setup screen appears.
Press the key.
The Advanced screen appears.
Press the key to highlight Video Configuration and then press the key.
The Video Configuration screen appears.
The Primary Video Adapter should be highlighted; press the key.
Press the key highlight PCI and press the key.
Press the key.
The Save Configuration Changes screen appears.
Press the key.
The screen will go black and the system will restart.
------------
As RTR said, go into device manager and uninstall you onboard drivers before doing this. I'd uninstall the new card drivers also. Then reboot, then change the primary video adapter to PCI and install the new card drivers.

You may need to hook up your monitor to the onboard adapter to disable it then change it to the new one.

Offline Aplane

• Zinc Member
Video card problems
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 10:02:25 PM »
I went into and disabled onboard. Called Dell when that did'nt work and of course 20 min later I get sent to India. Can't hardly understand the lady, but she managed to totally screw up my system. Finally I got upset when I realized that I know more than her, told her thank you and hung up. Fixed everything that she messed up and dumped all my drivers and reinstalled, The video driver works great, dual screens and all other flight sims appear to work fine. The only online game that I play (AH2) don't work at all. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?????  :mad:
I do not believe that it is a video card problem, but more of a selection that I am missing?:rolleyes:

I've tried everything but the one that works.

P.S. Why when I uninstall my new card and set everything up like it was prior I still can't get in? I have downloaded the game 3 times? (believe me it sucks, on dial up it takes approx. 5 hrs)I can't delete the video8 file cause it does not exist. when I go to the settings folder it is empty.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 10:07:52 PM by Aplane »

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Video card problems
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 08:42:44 AM »
suggest you run dxdiag

start>run>dxdiag>OK

click the save information and then email the resulting txt file to Skuzzy or copy the first part of it here.
Ludere Vincere

Offline JB66

• Copper Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/ssbranni
Video card problems
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 08:55:03 AM »
I don't know much about pci video cards...There is a setting under display settings where you can manually set the texture memory reserved, kind of like an agp apeture setting.  Have you made any changes to this?  Try increasing the size.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Video card problems
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 11:24:21 AM »
Something that I have found also..........

After switching back and forth with hardware, esp. video cards, no matter how careful I am with the uninstalling of drivers and installing the new ones.........Direct X can sometimes get screwed up in the process.  Windows is a complicated beast, and Direct X is no less complicated in how it blends itself into the Windows framework.  I always find that if you make a few changes like that, its a good idea to reinstall the current version of Direct X after you have all your drivers in and updated.  One misdirected reference, one failure to change the driver in the DX list, one failure of any part of it can totally screw your gaming experience, and it doesn't take but a couple extra minutes to reinstall DX.  May not be your problem, but it cant hurt.

Offline Aplane

• Zinc Member
Video card problems
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 05:04:37 PM »
I talked to my computer guy and he said that the video card is working fine it's the game. All of my other flight sims work fine. Does AH2 support Direct X 9c ?  I did a Dxdiag and sent it to Skuzzy 2 or 3 days ago? Everything passed. (I'm sure I'm on his list of many).

SKUZZY DID YOU EVEN GET IT??

Maybe I should try to download DX 8.1?

I find it hard to believe that Ah2 would not support DX 9  but heck, what do I know,  I'm not even smart enough to get a video card working :lol

Maybe a: (C:/format) will work, I am that mad.