Author Topic: Looping fight - how to end it ??  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Gremlin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.webtreatz.com/tod/lognew.html
Looping fight - how to end it ??
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2001, 07:26:00 AM »
Tac,

Are you suggesting that a P38 (even with full flaps) would out-turn an LA7?  If thats true I have yet to meet a 38 driver who can do it.  My usual tactic is to get the 38 turning.  Once he does he's as good as dead.

Perhaps I've just come up against the wrong class of 38 drivers.  The only planes Ive every seen out-turning an la7 is la5, spit, nik, zero and 1 particularly well driven 205, and of course the 109 g2 but that has to be well driven.

These are the ones I BZ.  In fact my greatest joy is when a 38 or hog (c or d) tries turning.  Would like to check it out though.  If ya got a minute one evening we could do some tests?

<S>

Gremlin.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
The La7 can be outturned by the P38.  I know this because I can outturn an La7 in a 109G2, but a P38 will outturn ME in a 109G2.

The LA7 doesn't actually turn very well.  It HANDLES great, and it can do very nice high speed turns (and build up speed again quickly after them), but if you get into a slow circle fight on the deck, a P38 will outturn you after a couple rotations.

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2001, 12:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lephturn:
<SNIP> Nothing can change a fight and turn the tables as well as unexpected violent action.  When in doubt, get aggressive. <SNIP>

I quite agree.

I rarely (maybe 5 times total) fly the P-38, (it compresses too fast and easy for my flying style) however in the FW 190D I've found the best way to battle the La7 is to ZOOM-n-BOOM it, always climbing back out to 10k ft or better, as the La7 is truely in her element "slammed 'n da weeds" and if ya try to fight her down low she gonna win.

The La7 is quickly replacing the N1K2 as a favorite in the MA.

Offline Gremlin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.webtreatz.com/tod/lognew.html
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2001, 11:03:00 AM »
Milnko,

I don't think its fair to use the g2 as a benchmark to say 38 outturns la7.  The different flying characteristics of each means that the only true comparison can be 38 v la7.  I don't mean to be smart about this but if anyone thinks that a 38 can outturn an la7 in an even contest then I wanna meet them in the Duelling arena <G>!  I am opening myself to be proved wrong but I really dont believe I will.

So Lets try it guys, lets put the 38 up against la7 in an even turnfight, 50% fuel per plane and see what comes out.  Nothing like a bit of research to provide a definitive answer.

<S>

Gremlin.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2001, 09:39:00 PM »
P38 on almost full flaps=Very slow speed (120 mph or less). La7 will either spin on its torque or is most likely to level out and try and gain some separation. Only a dumb la7 pilot will keep a constant turn on that situation. If they dont auger, they run. At that point you run too.

Sciscors on the deck are the best LA7 trap there is. Use em flaps and the la7 will have a miserable time.