Author Topic: For Guys Posting At AGW  (Read 2366 times)

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
For Guys Posting At AGW
« on: February 03, 2000, 08:30:00 PM »
Don't. They don't want to hear it. It won't matter what you say or how you say it, someone will be resentful of you being there talking about anything else than WB's.

Fact is, they have a point. Most go there to read about the great things about WB's, the problems with it, and what they'd like to see. Thing is, discussions like this are like discussions of one's family; I can call my sister a dog, but no one else better. It's their board (I know, some of us play there too), and they should be left in peace if that's what they want.

We know we have a great thing here. They believe they have something great too. At this point, they know about AH, and we know about WB. It's now up to them to come here to try it, or vice-versa. Going over there simply antagonizes them into knee-jerk responses.

I still read AGW, mainly because WB/DoA was a big part of my life, and still could be. Many here are straddling the fence too. I don't post because there is nothing positive for me to say about iEN at the moment, and they don't want to hear the negative. Nothing good can be accomplished by pursuing it, so...  

Let's leave 'em alone over there.  

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2000, 08:49:00 PM »
 Good post, and I agree. I did just go off on a rant over there but didnt mention Aces High  

funked

For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2000, 09:22:00 PM »
I've met a lot of the AGW people and consider them my friends.  I'll talk with them about what-bloody-ever I want to talk with them about!

I say this respectfully.  

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 02-03-2000).]

Offline glars

• Copper Member
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2000, 10:14:00 PM »
Dolomite it's not 'their' board - it's Argo's. He decides what stays and what goes and it's not a one-sim messageboard.

Yeah sure, people are lazy and post everything in the general board but I assume you know he has a forum for discussing other sims?

So there's no reason you can't post all you want about whatever sim you want as long as it's in the right forum.

------------------
Glars
RNZAF
Maps now available for Beta Terrain
 http://glarsmaps.warbirds.org  

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2000, 12:49:00 AM »
Also, dont try B17II 's forum on "bombs-away"...pffrrrt, they will bomb you to hell, whatever you say...

Very nice community...

PS : Seeing the many typo errors that I usualy do, you can Imagine WHY I let down programming  

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
BISHOP'S FINEST FLYING BRICK

DCO 186th Wardogs (Falcon4 Squad)
 http://www.wardogs.org/
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2000, 01:31:00 AM »
I'll post here and there and even on iEN BBS.
I keep both accounts opened (yes, I've subscribed AH). I wish the best for both, my squad is there with the Mac guys.

Post like yours will separate more and more the two communities. Too bad.

Gatt
4th Stormo CT

[This message has been edited by gatt (edited 02-04-2000).]
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2000, 03:13:00 AM »
It's my hope that on some level all of us flight simmers can respect and appreciate one another.  The last thing I want to do is ostracize anyone.  After all we as a collective group have one single common bond: the air war of WWII.  Most of the flight sims we associate with are really quite good, the differences being not quite as pronounced as some would lead us to believe.  In fact, a good pilot in AW would be a good pilot in WB, would be a good pilot in FA, would be good pilot in AH.

I can certainly understand the frustration of the WB community, since they have lost many people, squaddies, trainers, even programmers and staff.  It is always hard to see people come and go, and right now WB has gotten to a point where it has matured into just one of a few options for us simmers.  The limelight has dimmed a little, as it does with all things.  AW has survived through all this, and I'm sure WB will too, given competent management by iEN.

I enjoy having met people from other sims like AW, because it has shown me that we really aren't all that different.

Finally, I just wanted to point out that I don't consider AH 'the best'.  Certainly, it is my personal choice, but that is all it is.  When I played in WB, I used to think of WB as 'the best', which opened the way for contempt of other simmers in places like FA and AW.  Now, I realize that anyone who flies a decent flight sim under the most realistic conditions for that game is just as knowledgable as I am.  So, there is no real 'best', because they all do a pretty fine job.  It's just that I like Pyro and HT a lot and trust in their creative talents.  Nothing more, nothing less.  And the AH community has turned out pretty nicely too.

Poka!  

------------------
leonid
129 IAP VVS RKKA

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 02-04-2000).]
ingame: Raz

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2000, 03:34:00 AM »

I've met a lot of the AGW people and consider them my friends. I'll talk with them about what-bloody-ever I want to talk with them about!

Exactly. That board has had discussions about other sims for ages and now we should stop it? No joy. This far WB has been the best choice so other sims have been below it. Now there is for a first time a competent challenger and it makes some folks nervous.

------------------
jochen
Geschwaderkommodore
Jagdgeschwader 2 'Richthofen' (Warbirds)

If you ever get across the sea to England,
Then maybe at the closing of the day
The bars will all be serving German lager
Which means we won the war - hip hip hooray!

jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2000, 07:04:00 AM »
Funked, Glars, and Gatt-

If you think my intent is to start trouble- far be it! My intent is to minimize it. As I say, I do read AGW, had been a member of iEN, and continue to have an interest. Of course if you are still a paying member you have as much right as any to post as you will.

My point is I haven't seen one thread started over there (about anything other than WB) that didn't devolve into a flame-fest. Maybe instead of suggesting guys not post I should say "think about what you hope to accomplish". This is not to suggest you or anyone has made thoughtless posts - I don't. I am saying the audience for the most part has closed their ears and aren't listening anyway.

I've read many threads were you guys (and others) have stated clear, salient points, only to be assailed needlessly. I'm out of line for suggesting it, I suppose, but I think there is a time for "cooling off" needed here.YMMV  

No insult taken, and no disprespect intended.  

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2000, 07:23:00 AM »

I've read many threads were you guys (and others) have stated clear, salient points, only to be assailed needlessly

Dolomite,

take a look at threads like these, they *are* useful for the whole community (I mean me and my WB friends):

http://agw.dogfighter.com/agw/Forum3/HTML/010170.html

http://agw.dogfighter.com/agw/Forum3/HTML/010169.html

http://agw.dogfighter.com/agw/Forum3/HTML/010174.html

and *above all* this one:
 http://lists.imagiconline.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000582.html
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2000, 07:37:00 AM »
I think Dolomite's point is not so much as we should *never* post on other boards but that if we do then we should be ready to be attacked.

I to have seen many posts that ask simple questions or try to give the other boards info on AH only to get attacked.

I still post on AGW but I always expect to get hammered by the same diehard WB'ers(could mention names but I don't want to start a war) for doing nothing more than mentioning AH.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals

"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2000, 07:53:00 AM »
Geez, fellas, don't jump all over Dolomite. I don't think some of you got his point. I think he was trying to say that the Warbirds community is very sensitive to the fact that AH is getting new planes almost weekly(No new planes in WB since May 1999), that AH is not available for the Mac OS(many AGW posters can't fly AH even if they wanted to).

Simply put, most people hanging out on AGW(myself included) are frustrated with the slow pace of development of Warbirds, and they are not taking kindly to people singing the praises of AH right now. I'm flying both, so I'm careful as to what I post. Think about all the Mac guys who are boiling inside because AH sounds really cool, yet they can't do anything about it, barring dropping a grand or two on a new system.

I don't think the posters on AGW have anything against AH, per se(except for stiglr, perhaps), but they don't appreciate anyone coming over and saying "Hey, look what we just got in AH today!"

I'm not saying if that attitude is right or wrong, it's just my take on how the state of AGW is at the moment.

Good ol Dolomite is not trying to tell you all what to do, he's just sensitive to the fact some Warbirders may not be in the mood to sing AH's praises at the moment, that's all.

------------------
banana
*MOL* (Men of Leisure)
WB: -baxl- CO *Pale Riders Squadron*

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2000, 08:15:00 AM »
banana, Mighty1-

Exactly right, and you said it better than I did! S!  

Offline Curly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2000, 08:17:00 AM »

OK. Where is this AGW and how can I get there?? I've got a load I want to get off my mind at some folks who've been in here from there....

Curly

(j/k btw)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
For Guys Posting At AGW
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2000, 08:24:00 AM »
"I enjoy having met people from other sims like AW, because it has shown me that we really aren't all that different."

And that is the Cod's honest truth Leonid.
 Aces High is proving to be melting pot of some sorts   I see alot of people I recognize from WB's because I read the WB's newsgroups often too. And I see alot of friends from AW3 that have been flying the beta and I truly hope they subscribe here.
 There will alwasy be a healthy rivalry between all the sims that, at times, some people will take to extremes. It's inevitable. It happens in sports, with auto hobbiests..heck all hobbies and interests really.
 But underneath it all we all have a common interest in WWII aircraft and that's what makes us all comrades no matter what jacket or patch we wear.

-Westy