Author Topic: Happy "Christkindl"  (Read 512 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« on: December 24, 2004, 02:11:16 PM »
"O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
wie treu sind deine Blätter!
Du grünst nicht nur zur Sommerzeit,
nein auch im Winter, wenn es schneit."

This year we are doing the Christmas the "german way" (we alternate every year so the kids get to see a little bit of their heritage)

My wife and Muda-in-law have thus informed me that "Christkindl" Day (translates to christ child i'm told) is celebrated on "Heiligabend"  (Christmas eve) so we are doing our Chrsitkindl tonite.

anyhow thought it was interesting and would like to wish our German members a Happy "Christkindl"

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 03:50:57 PM »
may it be filled with wienerschitzle and bier.

this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 04:19:44 PM »
Originally posted by JB88
may it be filled with wienerschitzle and bier.

Actually something cool did happened....

My wife yelled at me earlier "you're on that damn computer AGAIN Blah blah blah blah......bich bich bich.....blah blah blah"

I looked at her and said " YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT I'M DOING ON THIS 'DAMN COMPUTER?'"

I proceded to play for her the German Christmas Charols I was downloading for her and her mom as a surprise to listen to while we are opening presents tonite.

well.....she started crying said she was sorry and how sweet I was and then went to the store to get me a bottle of Jack Daniels for tonite.  (some Christmas traditions I just won't part with :D )

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 04:48:02 PM »
Oh Christmas Tree oh christmas tree!
how faithful your sheets are!
You're not only green in the Summer,
no, also in winter when it snows!

Never heard it called Christkindl though.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 06:02:27 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Oh Christmas Tree oh christmas tree!
how faithful your sheets are!
You're not only green in the Summer,
no, also in winter when it snows!

Never heard it called Christkindl though.

in my research the German versian goes that it's the "chistkindle" (christ child) that brings the gifts on christmas eve.  To me that does sound like a more christian holliday because he is a gift in of himself.

The do have Santa Clause howerver, he comes on Dec. 6th for "Nikolaustag" or (St. Nicholas Day).  On that day you leave a Boot out in front of your door and he fills it up.  Kinda like our stockings.

The one thing I havnt figured out yet is this:

One German Christmas custom the US has yet to adopt is the two-day celebration. The day after Christmas Day -- der zweite Weihnachtstag, known as Boxing Day in Britain—is also a holiday in Germany.

Maybe some of our UK members here could explain what "boxing day" is.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 09:12:36 PM »
Fills it up with Candy, I think.  Not presents.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 09:55:01 PM »
Is the Krumpus coming? Not trying to double post, but you might be able to shed some light on this for me.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 10:09:46 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
(some Christmas traditions I just won't part with :D )

Which one? the Fight ending with her crying or the Jack Danials?

LMAO
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 10:15:02 PM »
Seriously though. cool tradition.

My main one is reading the "Night Before Christmas" to what ever kids are present on Christmas eve.

The special part of the tradition is that I read it fromthe very same book that I had it read to me starting some 40 years ago..

If I remember correctly the German Santa is also dressed in Green not red.
Or was.

My grandfather (mothers side) was German and Prussian.

"Alexander Gustav Von Vollmann"

If that aint German I dont know what is LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2004, 11:23:40 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Fills it up with Candy, I think.  Not presents.

yes you are correct.  The boot thing gets filled up with candy and small gifts.

THe jack daniels is the tradition.....heck her crying is probably one as well I just don't keep track any more  ;)

Is the Krumpus coming? Not trying to double post, but you might be able to shed some light on this for me.

I actually have no clue what you are talking about.  We do this every other year.  One year the German way with a German dinner....the other year the American way with a turkey and ham like it should be  ;)

Offline Heiliger

• Copper Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 11:56:57 PM »
Merry Christmas to you Gunslinger!  

"Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht! Alles schläft; einsam wacht
Nur das traute hochheilige Paar. Holder Knabe im lockigen Haar,
Schlaf in himmlischer Ruh. Schlaf in himmlischer Ruh..."

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2004, 03:05:52 AM »
My son who will be 3 in april experienced his 3rd christmas this year tore into presents with the vigor and determination of a madman looking for gold, my daughter who is 5 was a little more danty at un-wrapping and a little less vocal about what she got enjoyed it the same.

I have to say Christmas is so much better when you have kids.  It brings back the memories of you getting that GIJO or Melenium Falcon toy that you wanted all year long.

Merry Christmas to all, and God bless us everyone,

Gunslinger

AKA

Chris

Offline Heiliger

• Copper Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2004, 03:10:53 AM »

I have to say Christmas is so much better when you have kids.  It brings back the memories of you getting that GIJO or Melenium Falcon toy that you wanted all year long.

Yes!  Plus us dads get to play with their toys when the kids go to bed for the night!  :aok

:D

God bless you and your family Gunslinger and I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2004, 05:02:35 AM »

Maybe some of our UK members here could explain what "boxing day" is.

everyone goes out onto the streets with boxing gloves and butter knives and have a mass ruckus ;)

i didnt know either til i googled it: -

Boxing Day began in England, in the middle of the nineteenth century, under Queen Victoria. Boxing Day, also known as St. Stephen's Day, was a way for the upper class to give gifts of cash, or other goods, to those of the lower classes...

....There seems to be two theories on the origin of Boxing Day and why it is celebrated. The first is that centuries ago, on the day after Christmas, members of the merchant class would give boxes containing food and fruit, clothing, and/or money to trades people and servants. The gifts were an expression of gratitude much like when people receive bonuses, from their employer, for a job well done, today. These gifts, given in boxes, gave the holiday it's name, "Boxing Day".

The second thought is that Boxing Day comes from the tradition of opening the alms boxes placed in churches over the Christmas season. The contents thereof which were distributed amongst the poor, by the clergy, the day after Christmas.

Today, Boxing Day is spent with family and friends with lots of food and sharing of friendship and love. Government buildings and small businesses are closed but the malls are open and filled with people exchanging gifts or buying reduced priced Christmas gifts, cards, and decorations.

To keep the tradition of Boxing Day alive, many businesses, organizations, and families donate their time, services, and money to aid Food Banks and provide gifts for the poor, or they may choose to help an individual family that is in need.

What a great extension of the Christmas holiday spirit. You might consider making this holiday a tradition in your family. No matter where you live the simple principle of giving to others less fortunate than yourself can be put into practice.

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Happy "Christkindl"
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2004, 05:38:03 AM »
Thanks Fur ball for the it of the run down.   What's nice is the fact that you mention St. Stephen's Day.  In my research I've leard tht St. Stephen is the first modern day Staint.  Good history non the less  :aok