Author Topic: Yay! i got a ch fighter stick + pedals for xmas...  (Read 821 times)

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Yay! i got a ch fighter stick + pedals for xmas...
« on: December 25, 2004, 02:26:03 PM »
...and boy do i suck with them.:D   I've just had 30 mins spare to test them out- i've come to the conclusion i have no eye foot co-ordination.  It feels so weird!  One more thing- moving right pedal forward is supposed to make a/c yaw to the right yeah?  It feels more natural to me for the opposite, so i'm having difficulty pushing with the correct foot. doh!  I want to make sure i've not messed it up and right foot is supposed to make you yaw to the left.;)  Can someone let me know which is correct please.

Happy xmas all.:)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 02:28:49 PM by thrila »
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Schaden

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2004, 03:32:43 PM »
Rt pedal makes plane go left, left pedal plane goes right - you have to set it up - drop me a line at schadenah@hotmail.com
and I'll copy my set over for you to tinker with.

Takes a while to get used to but in a couple weeks you'll wonder how you used anything else......

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 03:42:20 PM »
congrats!

it took me a week or two to achive normal control in rudder input.
i remember the learning prosses lol i was plain useless in those 2 weeks (did something changed? :D )

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 06:25:02 PM »
Right pedal should make you yaw to the right. (Nose points right)
Left pedal should make you yaw to the left. (Nose points left)

This is how it is in RL, and that's just the way it is.

RTR
The Damned

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 07:40:43 PM »
Definately in RTR's camp with this one.

Schaden, ... whatever floats your boat man.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 08:25:28 PM »
mine yaws the same way RTR's does  right rudder tail swings left, left rudder tail swings right ( or in other words right rudder nose points right, left rudder nose points left )
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 09:04:35 PM »
To be fair, I think what Schaden means is that when you input a pedal, the body of the aircraft actually slides to the opposite of the pedal, causing the nose to yaw in the same direction as the pedal.

So, left pedal will cause the tail to swing to the right, and the nose to swing to the left.

Semantics.

I find it easier though to explain it as  yaw in the direction of the pedal. Less confusing.

Cheers, and hope Santa was good to you all :)
(oops just reread TC's post..I am redundant.....again hehe)
RTR
The Damned

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 09:04:39 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
mine yaws the same way RTR's does  right rudder tail swings left, left rudder tail swings right ( or in other words right rudder nose points right, left rudder nose points left )

ditto, can't imagine doing it the other way round.
I come from a land downunder

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2004, 09:14:28 PM »
Takes a while to get used to but in a couple weeks you'll wonder how you used anything else......

So very true !!!
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 12:05:29 AM »
anyone got any ideas about making your own rudder pedals? im going to be extending my ms sidewinder 3d pro handle so  i can set it on the floor so it will be a bit more realistic, im thinking i maybe able to build the pedals right onto the base of the stick, and some how get the sensor that usualy works when you twist the stick to be pedal actuated, gonna have to think about this one a bit:)  im thinking ill extend the throttle from the base with a bike cable like you might find on an old gear shifter, i may be able to set up the pedals similarily, would be kinda cool to have as many mechanical leavers as possible!

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2004, 12:24:28 AM »
Originally posted by RTR
To be fair, I think what Schaden means is that when you input a pedal, the body of the aircraft actually slides to the opposite of the pedal, causing the nose to yaw in the same direction as the pedal.

So, left pedal will cause the tail to swing to the right, and the nose to swing to the left.

Semantics.

I find it easier though to explain it as  yaw in the direction of the pedal. Less confusing.

Cheers, and hope Santa was good to you all :)
(oops just reread TC's post..I am redundant.....again hehe)
RTR

Agree with both of them 100%.  Not only is that the way they are setup default, thats they way they should work.  Just like the real thing, except too close together and not quite as much travel.  Of course my experience in a RL cockpit is still limited, so I cant make a blanket statement, but once you get used to the pedals you will never want a twisty stick again.  It becomes very natural, and its easier to overcome the tendancy to "lean" on the stick sometimes in flight and accidentally apply rudder input when you dont mean to.

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2004, 05:15:34 AM »
I got the same thing for Christmas Thrila. My wife let me order mine from Buy.com this past Friday. All USB. I can now upgrade my operating system to WinXP Pro. I am really looking forward to it. I have been using a 12 year old set of thrustmaster pedals and an old analog CH Pro Throttle and Combat Stick. They work good but I can't use them in XP.
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2004, 05:52:33 AM »
thrilla

If you're using control manager....I'm using the F16Combatstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals....all USB......I have a map for AH2.

I can copy and send to you email....no worries if you don't have the throttle....you just don't have to load it before playing AHII.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2004, 08:02:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.:)

I'm glad the right pedal yaws a/c left is correct.  I changed it to that last nite, the way it was before was plain weird.  I've had about an hour of flying with them, mainly offline.  I'm finding flying through hangars etc a lot easier but anything more complicated requires a lot of throught and concentration.

Hajo i tried using the control manager, i was so excited i couldn't wait to read any readme or manual so i skipped it and mapped everything directly in AH- seems to be working ok.  I will prob experiment with it on monday and see how i get on.

Trying to get used to the stick too- it's bloody huge!  It dwarfs my ms pp2.  I don't have large hands so finding it uncomfortable at the moment.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2004, 08:15:56 AM »
waiting on my CH USB setup... was supposed to arrive on Friday...