Author Topic: The Forming of Something Great....  (Read 8912 times)

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
The Forming of Something Great....
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2005, 09:53:53 AM »
Personally, and I have posted it many times, I think the cooperative tactics and concentration of force make for a more enjoyable experience. I HATE getting gang-raped by two or four enemy planes when I fly around alone. I almost never go plane hunting by myself, since even the experten run for the ack or a friend when they are disadvantaged in a fight. And I think fighting at 1000 feet alt is silly, unrealistic, and counterproductive.
HEHEEHE lol, and you say you furball once in a while.  20 friendlies on 3 enme doesn't count as a furball.

The best, hardest part of this game is working a 3 or 4 on one, those that shun it will never get any better at fighting and will always be relagated to tool shed killing and crying on the BBs.

Those that call any aspect of this game air quake have no real understanding about the game and are totally ignorant.  As rinse and repeat as either furballing or tool shed killing can be, they are no way anything remotely like quake nor could they be.

The worst part of this game is fighting friendlies for kills.  Now I know why I have never seen you on hubert, I try to stay away from the greens and knee deep in reds.  Your statements seem to show you fancy being surrounded by greens and buildings.

The best part of the strat game is listening to the strat guys whine when people aren't fighting or porking troops.  HAHAHAHAHA  You should have heard some of these guys last night.  "I can't believe all these guys and no ones porking troops,  whhhaaaaaa all they want to do is fight whaaaaaaaaa."  These guys went on for 5 mins on range channel as if people cared.  Then they cried, "I'm not getting any check sixes whaaaaaa."  Well if they would release the range channel and stop the public crying session then maybe some check sixes would have gotten through.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2005, 09:56:19 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
HEHEEHE lol, and you say you furball once in a while.  20 friendlies on 3 enme doesn't count as a furball.

The best, hardest part of this game is working a 3 or 4 on one, those that shun it will never get any better at fighting and will always be relagated to tool shed killing and crying on the BBs.

Those that call any aspect of this game air quake have no real understanding about the game and are totally ignorant.  As rinse and repeat as either furballing or tool shed killing can be, they are no way anything remotely like quake nor could they be.

The worst part of this game is fighting friendlies for kills.  Now I know why I have never seen you on hubert, I try to stay away from the greens and knee deep in reds.  Your statements seem to show you fancy being surrounded by greens and buildings.

The best part of the strat game is listening to the strat guys whine when people aren't fighting or porking troops.  HAHAHAHAHA  You should have heard some of these guys last night.  "I can't believe all these guys and no ones porking troops,  whhhaaaaaa all they want to do is fight whaaaaaaaaa."  These guys went on for 5 mins on range channel as if people cared.  Then they cried, "I'm not getting any check sixes whaaaaaa."  Well if they would release the range channel and stop the public crying session then maybe some check sixes would have gotten through.

Yawn.  heard it all before.  If you look for me online, look for shubie--that's me, and I am on during US prime time 4 or 5 nights a week.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2005, 10:02:13 AM »
Umm Skydance and Cliff, it is usually only the furball guys that will up and defend bases in the face of overwhelming numbers.  SO preaching to the furballers about this style of game play is like preaching to the choir about not going to church.

Tool shed killers will not up into overwhelming odds ( see most of shubert's et-al posts. )

AS for the base defence, yes it can be fun, but most of the time it is chasing pork and auger morons around while they dive in from alt in their pee 51s then zoom away, not much fighting there more like target practice.  Unless that force comes in with people that want to fight it will soon get as boring as dropping bombs itself.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2005, 10:10:35 AM »
Yawn. heard it all before.
 I know hubert I'll try to be make my post as ground breaking as yours.  lolhrotffpm :lol
and I am on during US prime time 4 or 5 nights a week.
Not in the last 4 months.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2005, 10:39:24 AM »
I know hubert I'll try to be make my post as ground breaking as yours.  lolhrotffpm :lol Not in the last 4 months.

Been in the middle of relocation since August, but I am back now.  Ask the BoPs where I've been.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2005, 10:41:45 AM »
Umm Skydance and Cliff, it is usually only the furball guys that will up and defend bases in the face of overwhelming numbers.  SO preaching to the furballers about this style of game play is like preaching to the choir about not going to church.

Tool shed killers will not up into overwhelming odds ( see most of shubert's et-al posts. )

AS for the base defence, yes it can be fun, but most of the time it is chasing pork and auger morons around while they dive in from alt in their pee 51s then zoom away, not much fighting there more like target practice.  Unless that force comes in with people that want to fight it will soon get as boring as dropping bombs itself.

BS call.  Look at my sortie vs. total time in fighters.  I die on the runway A LOT.  So do a lot of other guys.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2005, 11:19:50 AM »
BS call. Look at my sortie vs. total time in fighters. I die on the runway A LOT. So do a lot of other guys.
So you contradict what you are saying.
I HATE getting gang-raped by two or four enemy planes
You hate 2 or 4 so you are telling me that you routinely up in larger odds?
I think fighting at 1000 feet alt is silly, unrealistic, and counterproductive.
Most base defense is done at 5k and below mostly ending up on the deck.  Again you say you hate this and it's silly so I am believe you are upping into the horde.  Again you contradict what you are saying.  You can't have it both ways.

As for your sorties Vs Time it really doesn't prove anything so I will have to go on what you say.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
I say, and repeat...
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2005, 11:56:20 AM »
that it's not the only way to play the game, and that concentrating only on that aspect is silly.  And yes, I die a lot upping at vulched fields, which is silly.  Sometimes I do silly things, too.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2005, 01:12:29 PM »
Yeeeeee haw Go Mars go!  Woot!

:D

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2005, 01:52:42 PM »
Shubie you think all fighting no matter what the alt is unrealistic.. Thats why you go after undefended bases. As for you sky we can only defend so many bases at a time. Why dont you guys attack a base that has enemy upping from it instead of going across the map and attacking where there arent enemy. Last night I went to 2 fields that were being horded. Was some fun fights. The JB's were also around at one of them. We were outnumbered but defended. After awhile of being defended in both cases they gave up to find easier targets.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2005, 02:07:34 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2

As for the point of bombers... I think the point of bombers is to give peoples girlfriends something to do in the game or people  who can't use a joystick.   Maybe people with really bad connects from some far corner of the earth.  

:rofl
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2005, 02:55:11 PM »
Blimey!

Its a game. An AIR COMBAT game. That means dogfighting, bombing, ground attack the lot.

Its A GAME where you play ONLINE WITH OTHER PEOPLE!!!!
if you want to just dogfight go play an offliner simulator. This whole online business is for me about the pleasure of flying and fighting with other people.

Lazs you make yourself sound real self centered and to be honest why are you in a community of players if you don't give a damn about playing cooperatively as part of a teaM?

Maybe I got you wrong. I do hope so.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2005, 07:58:40 PM »
OK, let's keep it rolling...

Horde Brawl
Annihilation 2005!!
Grrrr
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Shubie, how about moving it forward about an hour and a half (9:30 E). That would hit 6:30 Pacific. 10:00 would be better given commute/home/eat time but that's getting a bit late on the East Coast).

This THURSDAY, of course.

I can see the defense meeting at a remote base field 15 minutes before start time (I’ll find a place and use goto for Charon on the roster) to count heads. We will then move to an appropriate field off in some corner, announce it on 200 and get it on. Joiners are welcome on both sides, of course. The more the merrier. BTW, what sides are we talking here? I don’t care myself since I usually fly for the side with the lowest numbers.

Charon

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2005, 08:00:31 PM »
Put up or shaddup!

I don’t think there is any need to micromanage the defense for this special event or any continuing “anti-horde” night. However… some small degree of coordination is required. It’s pretty clear that the offense will be in no rush to drop ord and dive down to the deck and furball. If we want to stop them, or fight period, we will likely have to force that to happen. If we can’t pull it together enough to do that then there is no real reason to complain against the horde players. Like it or not, the game structure fully allows this behavior and it’s up to those who disagree to try and do something about it until that changes. However, I don’t see any real need to go overboard either, nor is that in the personality of most of the “brawling” players or squads and a "low general factor" is how it will have to work to be successful, IMO.

All you guys who have contributed so far to these "anti-horde" threads please get in contact with your squads and get a turnout. To name some names:

Jamusta (of course, the father of the movement)
SlapShot/ mars01
Guppy35
Dedalos/ mechanic
bustr
killnu
Furball
Stang
RedTop
Redd/ Dead Man Flying/ lazs2
WMLute/ DieAz
plank
anton
airbumba
FiLtH
victor
Elfie
mojo55
A_Clown

We can add Shane and Urchin to the list as well, I believe. Don't be slobberdonkies!

And please have somebody from the squad get in touch with me via e-mail (it's enabled). DoK has put together a thumbnail sketch of the likely attack and defense scenarios that I will pass along. There are likely several useful roles that need to be filled and it would be nice to have some dedicated volunteers. Fortunately, some of those roles are right up the alley of various squads SOP. If by some bizarre chance (I know I’m kidding myself here) we have too many anti-hordes show up and it gets too lopsided, we can just split up and have some move to the offense side :)

If it does come down to, “Let’s just show up and wing it…” that’s cool too. But keep in mind a few basic realities and operate accordingly:

1. The horde will likely work to avoid contact. If you want to fight it it’s up to you to make that happen. This means altitude. There is never going to be enough. Take one step forward but two steps up. Eventually (at least a 1/2 sector out) stop taking steps forward and concentrating on steps up. If you think you’re high enough go higher -- you can always dive. (I think that the more successful this is initially the lower the fight will become). A dedicated high fighter sweep and high base defense effort would help… Always work to grab more altitude and when there, keep it.

2. Discipline. Don’t gain all that altitude just to throw it away on the first conga line you see at 500 feet. A good opportunity for experienced squad leaders to evaluate and allocate resources as needed. Now, if it’s the main strike force…  Similarly, there’s no need to rush single handedly into bad odds if there are some friends close behind. Work to have close odds if it’s practical -- it’s a lot more fun when you’re not working the glory hole.

3. Be prepared to chip in with a goon/supplies if needed. Be prepared to conduct and support smart “offensive” defense if the situation calls for it. Be prepared for attacks from different bases, and planes that arrive late to the battle (bombers, jabos, goons) at high altitude after the initial contact has dropped the defense down to the deck (go back to point 1). Always work to grab more altitude.

4. Don’t expect a horde of Zeroes or F4Fs. If you want to shoot them you have to catch them. From someone whose favorite ride is likely the Zero it sucks to be us. If you want to catch them then you know what you likely need to be flying (or at least how high you need to be and where you need to be positioned). The battle may very well slow down and drop down later. For any hi cap think in terms of fast and cannons (to catch jabos or stop heavies at 30K). If you must fly fun and interesting planes Alt can give you a shot if you have enough and time it right. Or... think about how you can use those planes in a proactive manner given how horde attacks typically develop. Always work to grab more altitude.

5. Osties and M-16s are nice and useful in the appropriate numbers. But it's better if you stop them in the air short of the base. Something to keep in mind.

Again, I see this as being a squad/squad leader/individual driven defense. See what needs to be done, report on new developments, work together (loosely), fly smart and get it done. My generalship is over :) If this works out it may even become a source of weekly fun. Shubie has graciously volunteered to keep attacking a single defended target and give up winning the war effort for an evening. If he has come to fight, then all us non war winning complainers could make a few concessions as well.

Charon
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 08:25:05 PM by Charon »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2005, 09:14:39 PM »
I've been playing sid mier's Pirates! the past 2 weeks, and ummmm....  hordes are good!!! especially if they're mine!

but then i need to brush some AH rust off, so I guess this is as good a way as any since it'll be so easy and mindless.  :D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798