Author Topic: Is the CT dead or something?  (Read 936 times)

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Is the CT dead or something?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2005, 04:15:09 PM »
Originally posted by soda72
hmmmm ... I've only had a f6f/f4f out turn me in a zeke if my air speed is to high...

Same here. I've out turned Zekes in an F4U-1 with full flaps, but that doesnt reflect on the two planes in question, but the pilots. Sakai's book, while a very good read, is not a reliable source for modeling the physics of how a plane should fly.

Just for the record, here is what I think on various modeling issues:

I think the MG151/20 gets shortchanged in its HE hitting power, but the ballistics are as they should be.

I think the Hispano WAS a devastating gun, but the way damage is calculated it might be a bit overdone in AH.

I think the Zeke's are too tough. I cant tell you how many times I've be IN a Zeke and said "Man, I shoulda been dead with that many hits".

I think the Spit V, while it may have had the boost  level it has in AH now at one point in WWII, it is just silly to use it in the CT with '42 LW planes.

I think tanks being killed by ANY aircraft gun other than the IL2 23mm, the IID 40mm, or the 9T 39mm is just silly.

I think the Storch wears wimins underwear.

storch

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2005, 05:18:14 PM »
I'm not replying to you silly descendants of french persons any longer.  this does not count as a response.  :D

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2005, 05:40:22 PM »
I'll have you know I'm Scotch-Irish with some English and Native American thrown in. No French whatsoever. :)

Offline Gwjr2

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2005, 07:56:56 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
Same here. I've out turned Zekes in an F4U-1 with full flaps, but that doesnt reflect on the two planes in question, but the pilots. Sakai's book, while a very good read, is not a reliable source for modeling the physics of how a plane should fly.

Just for the record, here is what I think on various modeling issues:

I think the MG151/20 gets shortchanged in its HE hitting power, but the ballistics are as they should be.

I think the Hispano WAS a devastating gun, but the way damage is calculated it might be a bit overdone in AH.

I think the Zeke's are too tough. I cant tell you how many times I've be IN a Zeke and said "Man, I shoulda been dead with that many hits".

I think the Spit V, while it may have had the boost  level it has in AH now at one point in WWII, it is just silly to use it in the CT with '42 LW planes.

I think tanks being killed by ANY aircraft gun other than the IL2 23mm, the IID 40mm, or the 9T 39mm is just silly.

I think the Storch wears wimins underwear.

I totally agree with you Gritty on ALL points above :D
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2005, 10:45:34 PM »
The only time i can turn inside the a6m is when the is around 250. Maybe you are allowing the fight to be 2 fast?

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2005, 12:46:12 AM »
Originally posted by Grits
I'll have you know I'm Scotch-Irish with some English and Native American thrown in. No French whatsoever. :)

Is that "Scotch-Irish" or is it "Irish Scotch", which is a totally different thing?  :)

I think yall are just a tad bit silly to be getting so worked up over whether or not the modelling of yer cartoon airplanes is on the dot.  Its never going to be perfect, its a SIMULATION.  

That said, I am glad HTC takes as much pain as they do to make the models as close to the original flight characteristics as possible.  If they are off, and someone can prove it, they will make the changes.  They have proved more than once they are not above admitting mistakes and changing them if you can provide proof.  

And lastly, I recently heard a nasty rumor that Storch has been smuggling Quiche into the US and petitioning steakhouses to sell it as an appetizer.

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2005, 12:51:23 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
And FWIW, I spent a fair amount of time this weekend flying against (and generally getting shot down by) Oleg, who is a pretty good pilot.

Thanks for compliment, though its not exactly true. Sometimes i good, often bad, sometimes realy suck :D
Anyway, every fight agains you (ok, may be almost every :) ) is real challenge for me. You are my favorite opponent.

Originally posted by Oldman731
So.  Flying in the CT as the Japanese has always been a challenge (except in 1942).  It remains so.

This setup is pretty well balanced i think. Ki61 and F6F match each other very well. I found Ki even a bit better than Hellcat in duel (in group fight i stake on Hellcats though) - it more stable in extreme low speed than F6F with full flaps (at least, i think so).

P.S. This setup is one of few PAC that dont suck.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 12:53:52 AM by Oleg »
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline P6E_Hawk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2005, 06:17:07 AM »
Alright Oleg, vacation is over...get back to work!

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2005, 11:27:44 AM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
Is that "Scotch-Irish" or is it "Irish Scotch", which is a totally different thing?  :)

Actually it is different. Scotch-Irish were not Irish at all, they were Scots that moved to Northern Ireland temporarily on the way to Colonial America. :)

I think yall are just a tad bit silly to be getting so worked up over whether or not the modelling of yer cartoon airplanes is on the dot.  Its never going to be perfect, its a SIMULATION.[/b]

Agreed. That is why you will rarely, if ever, hear me complain about the way a plane is modeled in AH, I think HT and Pyro do an excellent job overall. I put that list up there just so folks on either side of the Allied and Axis issue see that I have problems with vehicles on both sides. None are deal killers for me, and in general they are nothing more than minor irritations, but they are there.

I would say that the issue that needs to be fixed most, is the MG151/20. The way AH calculates hit damage, as I understand it, combines the kinetic and chemical power of a shell into a single combined figure, with kinetic much more important than chemical. This shortchanges the LW cannons (or any others) that relied on large HE content. In addition, HE (chemical) power because it is combined with kinetic to get a single figure to simplify things in AH, decreases as the shell travels, which also should not happen. No matter how far/slow an MG151/20 or a 30mm HE shell is going, if it hits you it will still do virtually the same damage as it would point blank because of the large % of HE.

Like I said, this is not a deal killer for me, but it is there.

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2005, 02:02:21 PM »
I went to the DA last night and upped an A6M. The wing dip is alot worse but I had no trouble out turning spit5's. Some flaps and rudder and she still does what seems to be 90 degree turns. I was flying around at 75% trottle most of the time.