Author Topic: Chevy Trucks, They're Craptastic!  (Read 588 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Chevy Trucks, They're Craptastic!
« on: January 03, 2005, 11:47:27 PM »
My Brother-in-law bought a new '04 Dodge 4x4 1 ton friday.  He traded in his '02 Chevy 4x4 1 ton that he had nothing but headaches with. The 502 got around 8mpg, transfer case had to be rebuilt, brakes lights quit when the turn signal switch got loose, ect. He wanted a new Duramax but could not get the dealership to work with him 1cent on the price. He had a "Western Hauler" bed on the Chevy and wanted to put in on the Dodge for work. This ment he had to come up with a bed for trade-in, so he found a pull-off for $500. It was the original bed that went to that truck the previous owner had in storage.

When we went to pick it up we found out the entire bed, with the exception of the innerliner and tailgate, was PLASTIC. I'm not talking about the dualwheel wells, I mean the entire side panels! Now this was, for all intents and purposes, a brand new bed that never had anything in it and was sitting on a concrete slab. The entire bottom had curled and cracked under it's own weight. The 2 of us were able to lift and load it by ourselves. By comparison we tried to pick up a Ford bed sitting next to it and there was no way we were going to lift it with just the 2 of us. It easily weighed twice as much as the Chevy bed, probably because it had OVER twice as much steel.

I've always had a low opinion of GM trucks, but this was enough to make my "Chevy or Die" B.I.L. admit they are overpriced crap.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 11:56:17 PM »
Dodge trucks suck even more due to their chitty transmissions.  He went from bad to worse.  Ford or Toyota trucks.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 12:02:58 AM »
I still love my 1995 Chevy 1500 pickup, but it need rebuilt a little bit
Rafe35
Former member of VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 12:03:30 AM »
He had to get an '04 because the '05 6-speeds are backordered. I agree the Dodge trannys are weak, but trust me he would never buy a Ford (if they were the only truck on Earth) and the Toyotas are too light to stand up to the punishment of oilfield work. The Cummins was a big selling point as well. I hear Ford is getting the Cummins concession very soon and Dodge will be SOL.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 12:09:07 AM »
Originally posted by rpm
He had to get an '04 because the '05 6-speeds are backordered. I agree the Dodge trannys are weak, but trust me he would never buy a Ford (if they were the only truck on Earth) and the Toyotas are too light to stand up to the punishment of oilfield work. The Cummins was a big selling point as well. I hear Ford is getting the Cummins concession very soon and Dodge will be SOL.

A shame, I've Four-wheeled with tons of things at Silver Lake, Mi.  Fords and Toyota's have stood up the best.  I hope he shyed from the "Hemi".  This engine is weak structurally.   I take calls all day from the Ford Motor Company Dynamometer Building in Dearborn, Mi.  DCX and Chevy lease out a test cell cell or two throughout the year.  They refuse to accept the "Hemi".  The thin-walled oil-pan cannot stand the heat abuse.  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 12:33:15 AM »
He went with the Cummins. He's a welder and does a lot of off road oilfield work (mud, ruts, ect) with a bed mounted welder and pulling a loaded trailer. The Toyotas are just physically too small to do the job. They also are WAY underpowered. He has a neighbor with a Tacoma and when trying to pull a loaded hay trailer thru a ditch got stuck. The Tacoma would not even break the wheels loose, it just sat there and grunted with the pedal to the floor.
I tried to talk him into buying a UD or Isuzu 2 1/2 ton, but he wanted a 1 ton dually so he could use it off work as well.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 12:47:12 AM »
Truck is spelled F O R D  ;)

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 12:53:29 AM »
Originally posted by rpm

Ford actually own Cummings.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 12:54:49 AM »
Grun, you and I actually agree on something!
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 01:21:11 AM »
GMC are a bettar built truck than Chevy, i have a GMC 1500 work truck, +300 000 kilometres on the original 5.7 litre engine and tranny, she'll still burn rubber, well sorta.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 01:24:28 AM »
Originally posted by Torque
GMC are a bettar built truck than Chevy, i have a GMC 1500 work truck, +300 000 kilometres on the original 5.7 litre engine and tranny, she'll still burn rubber, well sorta.
Umm, GMC and Chevy are built in the same plant. One line gets the GMC badge, one gets the Bowtie.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 01:56:48 AM »
hope your wrong. I just bought an 01 sierra 2500 HD crew with the 6 litre. I have always loved fords but this just seemed to drive better and fit my size better.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 02:08:23 AM »
uhm....no way mank, GMC has bettar Mo-Jo it's a fact!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 02:08:51 AM »
Originally posted by rpm
Umm, GMC and Chevy are built in the same plant. One line gets the GMC badge, one gets the Bowtie.

But GMC's are typically built more heavy duty.
Least they used to be.

Im going back about 10 years or so.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 02:54:29 AM »
I may be wrong so check you're trucks window sticker.
But I believe all Chevy and GMC light duty trucks and suv's are assembled in Arlington .TX