Author Topic: Question for you 38 drivers.....  (Read 1629 times)

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Question for you 38 drivers.....
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2000, 04:18:00 PM »
humble one thing to remember in the P38 (in it's current incarnation) is that it has 2 notches of maneuver flaps.  Using these helps the bird come around alot faster.  But once you finish the turn you used them for pull them back up.  The extra drag is worth it in the turn, but not when you've finished the turn.  When I actually stay and fight a spit to the death my flaps are going up and down constantly once we get near the deck, and they're always out when I come over the top.  Botton line, turning under 250mph USE THE FLAPS  

Cit I have survived dives of 600mph with all control surfaces intact.  Trim is very critical though, because if you're out of trim you can kiss your control surfaces good bye.  If your trim is good you can pull, but it requires a super light touch on the stick and constant adjustment of trim.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2000, 05:51:00 PM »
Hmmm, you know Cave I never popped em there...I'm used to them things being drag only...almost all my T&Bing has been in spit's in TA with the FFA crowd. I haven't really reprogrammed my brain to flaps yet....very good post....that may be issue for me in MA right now with 38 and others. OK, now in 38 lests say 1 notch from 250 to 200..2 down to 150...dump em all the way at 150 if you in to deep to run...that a good bench mark or does anyone have better numbers?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2000, 07:31:00 PM »
I dump the first notch at 250 and the second by 225 if I dinnae dump both notches at the same time.

For maneuvering (and I'm sure Cit will chime in if I'm misspoken   ) you dinnae want more than 2 notches because the drag isn't worth the lift.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2000, 09:27:00 PM »
that was the problem humble  

the p38 lives and dies by the use of its flaps...

on that low speed over the top put in full flaps to gain slightly more control to aim as you stall out and fall back toward the spit.

btw...
the P-38L had the ability to cash in its dive flaps as a maneuver,

the dive flaps still had a similar reaction on the aircraft at lower speeds, it still created forces that pushed the nose up at low speed just like it did at hish speed to compensate for mach tuck of the nose where it violently pitches down...

the p-38L pilot would use this as a momentary advantage in which when toggled it would pull the nose up 10 to 20 degrees enabling the lightning a quick snap shot at the bandit.

It is my personal belief that this is one of the factors leading to McGuire snaprolling and crashing after he "dramatically" increased his turn in attempts to clear his rookie wingman who was also turning with a ki43.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013