Author Topic: P38 Ace Major T.McGuire Controversy  (Read 845 times)

Offline palef

• Gold Member
P38 Ace Major T.McGuire Controversy
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 06:39:29 PM »
Originally posted by Delirium
Let me know, I'd be up for it too... I have the CH Throttle Quadrant and can control each engine's throttle and RPMs.

Come to think of it, we really can't recreate it accurately secondary as the cream of the Japanese air assets had already been killed in January '45. Most of the AH flyers have alot more hours and experience than the Japanese flyers did in Jan '45, heck, probably more than the Allied flyers as well.

However, with enough alt, I think a good team of 38s might be able to pull it off but with a complete rewrite of history using the vertical after a brief dive to set up a good cherry pick.

Oh, and ignore what Rust says... I'm no good in the P38 or anything else.

The German and Japanese Air (and Naval Air) Forces didn't use the "Tour of Operations" process that the Allies did, and as a consequence a lot of Axis pilot racked up staggering hours when compared to their Allied counterparts.

Hansgeorg Bätcher logged 658 Bomber missions for instance. Adolf Galland once said, "Our pilots and crews fought until they died."

This of course meant that when those assets died the Frontline training operation reduced incremently in quality as the experienced pilots were whittled away.

Saburo Sakai being drafted back into Ops despite only having one eye is an example from the Japanese side of the spectrum.

I reckon it would be a good mix, as the Japanese crews in PNG and the Phillipines were still of reasonable quality by Japanese standards.
Retired

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
P38 Ace Major T.McGuire Controversy
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2005, 02:46:37 AM »
Interestingly enough tonite, Delirium, Silat and myself were flying 100 fuel 38s with rockets and bombs.

We ran into Fiction and his Spit V and my first thought was "Tommy McGuire"  We tried to keep the ord, but both Silat and I had to lose it to stay alive.  Of course Tommy McGuire aka Del, kept his and stayed in too.  We got Fiction finally but it took three of us under the circumstances with the full load. To try and keep that flopping Spit V in sight was tough.

Fiction had his revenge though as he got me after re-upping.  Not that killing me is much of an accomplishment :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters