Author Topic: Radar question:  (Read 455 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Radar question:
« on: January 27, 2000, 07:47:00 AM »
I've noticed while flying, sometimes I can see the enemy (small red dots on dar) one moment, then the next moment, they disappear (but still show up as large red cubes showing them occupying the grid)...I've seen this when no enemy has been over airfield (eliminates the possibility that they may have knocked out field radar)...why do they come and go as small red dots?  

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Defected~)
"There is no reason anyone would
want a computer in their home."
   Ken Olson, president, chairman and
founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977

-Catman-

Radar question:
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2000, 08:28:00 AM »
Good Question Ripsnort I was noticeing that last night.

Could it be that some enemy planes are in the area but they are too low for radar to show the red dots?  

-Catman-

214CaveJ

Radar question:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2000, 08:43:00 AM »
The bandit either moved out of the dar range of the tower (12.5miles I think) or is dropped below 500ft AGL and is no longer on dar

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Radar question:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2000, 08:45:00 AM »
If they go below 500' AGL, I believe they vanish from the radar screen.  Also, enemy dot radar only extends a certain range from your base, so once they get outside that range their red dot will vanish from the map.

There are 2 other reasons why you might not see enemy dots.  The first, as you mention, is if the tower at your nearby field is destroyed.  The second is if your country's radar facilities are damaged or destroyed.  I don't know the details, but this can have the effect of your country having no enemy-dot radar.

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs