Author Topic: P38 Combat Trim Suicide Device?  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
P38 Combat Trim Suicide Device?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
Anyone else think CT is a little less accurate in 1.08?  My hellcat seemed to wanna roll to the left with CT on at almost all speeds.  might have just been me and the joystick calibration tho...  *shrugs*  Haven't played much so I don't know for sure.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2001, 04:59:00 AM »
Auto trim working well but you have to know what it do... Auto trim working only when you are very slow/stall.... so many 109 and other elites pilots turn very well with manual trim at high speeds.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2001, 01:54:00 AM »
at what speeds do you deploy your flaps at?  In Air Warrior I was used to using 1 notch of flaps at 200-175knots and 2 notches if I got around 150knots.  Same in here?

Originally posted by Westy MOL:
I think you may be on to somehting with the P-38. I found the P-38 to be nice now. Still compresses worse than most imo but m,anageable. Yet others said it was still a squeak in compression. I think they use CT also.

auto trim level = X
auto trim angle - shift X

Those are the only two I use. I maunally trim  my planes for the most part. And I trim to keep the "ball" centered in the slip guage. That way my shots are on target. I may use extra trim to help move my plane in any specific direction; more up trim to climb, left trim for roll or turn left, etc etc. Only experience with doing it yourself willshow what I mean.

As for LA7? I can easily out turn most I encounter when low and slow. I use one, maybe two at most, notches of flaps. Same with any other plane but an N1K2 or Spit. I also will use the speed flap/break to help turn when I'm going too fast and want to make a lead turn into a bogy. I release it 1/2 way thru the turn or just before I start to level out so it does not conitnue to slow me down more. It's a good working last ditch maneuver and not one I would advise using in a multi-con environment.

Westy

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

Offline akak

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2001, 01:55:00 AM »
stall loops possible in a P-38 in here or hammerheads?

Originally posted by Zigrat:
with a g6 you can kill it easily using flaps, start out with 2 notches and dump em all to scoot over the top then nail him. against the la7 you can do well also. the yak is much tougher i really hate fighting yaks. it is fast and accelerates like a crack monkey and small and turns well. i would stay away from yaks.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
Hi Ack-ack. What speed? I'm not sure as I most often never take my eyes off the bogy. I  have a good feel for when the plane is slow by how it handles and also in relation to the external world - other planes, trees, clouds or landscape going by. The stall buzzer comes in handy too  :) Soon as I hear that one notch, maybe two go out, then I try and finish my manuever or if it's goiong off bad enough I hurry and try to recover airspeed.

About the only time I consciously look at my airspeed in combat is when I go verticle and I'm thinking of doing a hammer head on the guy climbing up my "6." I use a sudden push of rudder (either direction depending on the other planes engine torque direction) at about 90mph.

Westy

Offline akak

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2001, 11:56:00 AM »
How much flaps do you have dialed in when you do the hammerhead?

Originally posted by O'Westy:
Hi Ack-ack. What speed? I'm not sure as I most often never take my eyes off the bogy. I  have a good feel for when the plane is slow by how it handles and also in relation to the external world - other planes, trees, clouds or landscape going by. The stall buzzer comes in handy too   :) Soon as I hear that one notch, maybe two go out, then I try and finish my manuever or if it's goiong off bad enough I hurry and try to recover airspeed.

About the only time I consciously look at my airspeed in combat is when I go verticle and I'm thinking of doing a hammer head on the guy climbing up my "6." I use a sudden push of rudder (either direction depending on the other planes engine torque direction) at about 90mph.

Westy

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2001, 12:13:00 PM »
I use none. I just quickly turn the nose back around around on one side, versus flipping backwards (as in a loop), over onto them. If it's a "flip over" I'll start the flipp/loop and emmediatly pop one notch and by the time I'm inverted I'll have two, maybe three notches out. Coming around and pointing down I dial those back in as fast as I can. Not a lot different from AW actually.

Westy

Offline akak

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2001, 10:45:00 PM »
so stall loops are also possible in here?  you use rudders to yaw nose down on hammerhead or just let gravity do the work?

I use none. I just quickly turn the nose back around around on one side, versus flipping backwards (as in a loop), over onto them. If it's a "flip over" I'll start the flipp/loop and emmediatly pop one notch and by the time I'm inverted I'll have two, maybe three notches out. Coming around and pointing down I dial those back in as fast as I can. Not a lot different from AW actually.

Westy

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2001, 11:11:00 PM »
You can do both ack-ack. You can nose the plane up until it reaches 10 mph, the plane will, all by itself, drop the nose for you. Pulling lightly on stick with a few flaps helps you flip the plane faster.

You may also use rudders to flip the plane sideways. Its a bit trickier, but its faster than flipping plane by pulling the nose up or down in many occasions. I particularly like to cut 1 engine and rudder to that side, pulling nose up or down to prevent a spin (you must have at least 2 notchs of flaps down or you WILL enter a flat spin). It makes the 38 turn almost instantly.

You like P-38? We the only (so far) P-38/Twin engined squad in AH. We suck, we whine, we LOVE the P38.  ;)

Offline Aiswulf

• Copper Member
      • http://mdiplo.tripod.com
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2001, 02:57:00 PM »
Well geez after reading all this about the P38 and doing the hammerheads and the like I have to really try those out tonight after work  :D

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2001, 02:47:00 AM »
Tried the P38 again for a long time, first time 2 days ago. Never use combat trim in any plane, only legitimate in some planes IMO, better to trim it your self, allways gives you more controll aswell. P38 Extremely good IMO, started out with 4 sorties, died once without kills. Landed 3 of them with 3, 3, 6, kill sorties, no vulching.

It can outclimb most things and it can hang a long time on the props. Very poor in high speed though, specially at high alt, locks up at 420Mph TAS at 30k (atleast mine did).

Allso, glass tail thing seem to be gone, it was there before for sure. I took lots of hits in some of those sorties, RTB:ed a few times with plane all shot up but 5+ 20mm. Great plane for sure, turns on a dime  :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2001, 04:29:00 AM »
Oh yeah I like the P-38.  Flew the P-38J in Air Warrior for 8 years.  It doesn't feel right sitting in any other planes, unless it's a Me110C.

Will ammo load effect things when doing either a stall loop or the hammerhead?  

What is the best internal fuel load for the P-38L?  50% and two drop tanks?  

Originally posted by Tac:
You can do both ack-ack. You can nose the plane up until it reaches 10 mph, the plane will, all by itself, drop the nose for you. Pulling lightly on stick with a few flaps helps you flip the plane faster.

You may also use rudders to flip the plane sideways. Its a bit trickier, but its faster than flipping plane by pulling the nose up or down in many occasions. I particularly like to cut 1 engine and rudder to that side, pulling nose up or down to prevent a spin (you must have at least 2 notchs of flaps down or you WILL enter a flat spin). It makes the 38 turn almost instantly.

You like P-38? We the only (so far) P-38/Twin engined squad in AH. We suck, we whine, we LOVE the P38.   ;)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2001, 09:20:00 PM »
thanks for the tip.  got my first rope-a-dope this morning on a 190 but got waxed by Edbert on my 2nd rope attempt.  It's nice to see that the P-38 behaves just as good in the vertical as it did in AW.  I think I just have to get used to the flight model some more and then I'll be back to my former self in the P-38  :)

<S>

Westy

Offline laz

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2001, 11:08:00 PM »
I guess i am flying p38 the hard way and will keep doing so.. always use combat trim.. but still seem to kill spits/la7's.  Not using combat trim may the way too go but i've learned to much about the plane while using it to switch to not using it.... I do not know if you guys know but i fly with mouse.. and does not make it easy to find trim/gun/ flaps all at the same time.  I am planning on buying stick as soon as i find a good one..   Then MAYBE i will fly without combat trim.. and might make me a lot better p38 flier.. which i need to become deparately  :)  

=Lazer=  :mad:   :mad:

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2001, 12:40:00 AM »
Combat Trim was added because trim tabs are NOT primary flight controls. Period. Pure Fact. No counter argument.

However, this FM makes trim tabs very powerful control surfaces. Thus, to maximize aircraft performance in AH, you need to stay in trim as best you can.

The manual trim mode is the most effective way to trim. Used well, it gives optimal performance. However, it is not the easiest to become proficient at nor is it the easiest to use, particularly if you do not have programmable stick/throttle stuff.

CT was added to provide a simpler way of trimming to adequate but not optimal standards and to give the guys with simpler flight input devices a bit of help.

IMO, and IMO only, I think it was programmed in as an admission that trimming had become significantly more important in the FM than it should be due to the fact that TRIM IS NOT A PRIMARY FLIGHT CONTROL.  ;)

Read this thread for a detailed discussion. Andy Bush KNOWS what he is talking about.

How Trim Works (or Should)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!