Author Topic: bridges  (Read 472 times)

Offline RTO

• Copper Member
bridges
« on: January 11, 2005, 11:24:06 AM »
just a thought last night as I was watching "Spitfire Ace" on the Military History Channel.  Part of the employment of attack aircraft was targeting and destroying bridge structures to inhibit vehicle movements.  Just wondering what the thoughts would be to having river systems integrated maybe not everywhere but in some parts of the map that vehicles spawning from must negotiate by means of a bridge in order to conduct their GV assault on either a field/ town or both.  Attack A/C could target those structures and impede the efforts of the enemy not as a permanent solution but for a period of time.

RLTW
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 11:28:57 AM by RTO »

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Re: bridges
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 12:29:27 PM »
Originally posted by Matrix
just a thought last night as I was watching "Spitfire Ace" on the Military History Channel.  Part of the employment of attack aircraft was targeting and destroying bridge structures to inhibit vehicle movements.  Just wondering what the thoughts would be to having river systems integrated maybe not everywhere but in some parts of the map that vehicles spawning from must negotiate by means of a bridge in order to conduct their GV assault on either a field/ town or both.  Attack A/C could target those structures and impede the efforts of the enemy not as a permanent solution but for a period of time.
RLTW

I like it!  the bridge could be a repairable object, too.  Then an M3 with field supplies could repair the bridge.  Cool.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
bridges
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 12:57:16 PM »
A bridge might be interesting in a feild capture scenario where the only way to place troops in the towns on each side of the river is with an M3 that has to cross a bridge. Or have 2-3 bridges, but the bridge(s) becomes a defence point. The attackers taking either town have to keep the bridge(s) intact to get M3's across, the defenders need to kill the bridge(s) to stop the attack. Make the bridge(s) killable by anyone giving you some points for the effort. But restrict taking the town to a M3. All GV's attacking the towns would have to cross the bridges.

This could be done with a small island on a big map as a change of pace.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Scaevola

• Copper Member
bridges
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 02:57:27 PM »
Originally posted by bustr
A bridge might be interesting in a feild capture scenario where the only way to place troops in the towns on each side of the river is with an M3 that has to cross a bridge. Or have 2-3 bridges, but the bridge(s) becomes a defence point. The attackers taking either town have to keep the bridge(s) intact to get M3's across, the defenders need to kill the bridge(s) to stop the attack. Make the bridge(s) killable by anyone giving you some points for the effort. But restrict taking the town to a M3. All GV's attacking the towns would have to cross the bridges.

This could be done with a small island on a big map as a change of pace.

I would like to see more strategic targets to go for that would affect gameplay and bombing bridges to stop supply convoys getting thru sounds good, maybe throw in rail junctions, stations and depots and maybe the odd farmer to shoot at. As long as the bridges couldn't just be porked by lone suicide 190's and they had decent ack protection say a couple on either bridgehead, could make going NOE a bit more exciting if you're not careful.

Having split towns over a river sounds interesting but to link the take over to a bridge that can be destroyed by the defending team would only result in the bridge being permantly porked. I suppose if there was a bridge laying tank....

http://www.d-day.org.uk/images/articles/avre/0040-E-1.jpg

I'm sure some idiot like me would drive one for the hell of it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 03:06:38 PM by Scaevola »

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
bridges
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 03:04:06 PM »
Got a bridge built just needs to be textured. Waiting on the new TE & object importer.

Offline Scaevola

• Copper Member
bridges
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 03:09:49 PM »
Originally posted by indy007
Got a bridge built just needs to be textured. Waiting on the new TE & object importer.

I'd bomb it.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
bridges
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 03:33:47 PM »
Ok, make the bridge(s) big and beefy. Require 2-1000 lb direct hits on the roadway to kill it. Or 8 direct hits from a tiger. Or 10 rockets and 1 - 500 lb. Something like that. Let it rebuild in 30 minuets. Or resupply it with M8's and airdrops and get it back up in 10. Line it with ack from heck on the river sides, and some puffy AI ack on the sides. Make all ack kill able. But respawns with the bridge. When one country owns the whole island, allow one town to be taken by c47 and or LVT by another country. Then the stage gets reset to only M8's can take the enemy town again.

Also make GV spawn points just outside of tiger gun range. Even put in some mannable 40's on the riversides or on the bridge heads.

Just throwing this out. Why not help me play with the idea? Keep it simple, 1 or 2 bridges, 2 towns and 2 airfeilds. Heck even allow PT's and LVT's to travel in from the coast up the river. Put a port on each side of the island, or GV parks that have to be taken with the M8 scenario until the map is owned by one country.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
bridges
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 06:28:16 AM »
Or you could just make it so that if there's a bridge on the way to a spawn point it would disable it.

I.E. If there's a bridge on the way to a certain base and it's destroyed, you'd spawn at the bridge instead of a few miles outside of the base.  That way you can't spawn right next to the base unless the bridge is fixed.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
bridges
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 06:53:33 AM »
so gvs park behind the bridge and if an enemy drives over you can snipe him out... verry effective defensive stand.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
bridges
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 07:57:21 AM »
Originally posted by Scaevola
I would like to see more strategic targets to go for that would affect gameplay and bombing bridges to stop supply convoys getting thru sounds good, maybe throw in rail junctions, stations and depots and maybe the odd farmer to shoot at. As long as the bridges couldn't just be porked by lone suicide 190's and they had decent ack protection say a couple on either bridgehead, could make going NOE a bit more exciting if you're not careful.

Having split towns over a river sounds interesting but to link the take over to a bridge that can be destroyed by the defending team would only result in the bridge being permantly porked. I suppose if there was a bridge laying tank....

Way back in AH1 they used to have train depots and trains that supplied fields and facilities.

The depots were the size of the towns in AH2 now. (Keep in mind the towns in AH1 were much smaller.) But the ack was hella-mean. If you destroyed the depot completely, the supply trains would no longer run.

I liked hitting those train depots...dont know why they got rid of them.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
bridges
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 12:01:39 PM »
Will be nice when the bridges are going over water or canyons, etc. Right now, bridges are in the middle of roads on dry, flat land... ????

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
bridges
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 01:40:35 PM »
Bridges with these kinds of enhancements may be a boat load of COADing trouble that HiTech does not want to get into. Just keep that in mind.

My thought here was that a bridge(s) with some number of the active properties we have discussed could be an entertaining way to focus ground and air efforts into a king of the hill kind of scenario that can be endlessly rinsed and repeated limited only by the skill and imaginations of the players.

If you wanna cross that bridge and take the town you have to work together defending the bridge while attacking the enemy airfeild and town.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Edmo

• Zinc Member
bridges
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 05:34:27 AM »
I just want to be able to fly under them...

Edmo
TIGER Squadron - "Embrace the Automation..."

Offline red420

• Zinc Member
bridges
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 05:52:03 PM »
I think ht should bring back the trains, and have bridges that they cross carrying supplies that can be destroyed stopping supplies from getting through in effect keeping destroyed objects down longer. Also, it is very unrealistic that fuel is a given in the ma. I miss the days when you could pork fuel to 25% and you wouldn't see any LA7's try to up. Considering there is always one team with greater numbers, I think being able to pork the fuel at fields is necessary. and trains!!