Author Topic: Advice please. 1. yak (flat spin). 2. Hammerheads  (Read 673 times)

skeet

Advice please. 1. yak (flat spin). 2. Hammerheads
« on: September 05, 2000, 05:11:00 PM »
Hi
I've been flying the yak a few times recently, and found it a real pleasure.
The manouver that I keep messing up is either an Immelman or else a half cuban 8 - I lose speed in the climb, pull back harder to get the nose down and end up (tailsliding?) into a flat spin. The only way out seems to be to kill the throttle, which drops the nose and I recover from the subsequent spin.
Are there any do's and dont's? I seem to consistently have problems with this manouver.
2nd, I have problems with hammerheads in any aircraft - I haven't managed to do this well in practice offline - (even in 190 which is supposed to be the killer at this manouver).
Thanks in advance.

------------------
skeet - out
Aces High - Fight Stimulator

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2000, 05:26:00 PM »
Sounds a if you're pulling up at too high G or too low a speed on entry ..

Try a low G pull up at around 3-4 g andyou'll get over the top easily.. i don't fly the Yak (save for some trials when it came out) but i've flown against it to know it's got an awesome acceleration so being too slow shouldn't be a problem if you put the nose down and unload for a few seconds befor you start your pull up.
I also use flaps to bring the nose over the top if i'm very slow (this doesn't work in airplanes with split flaps like the Spit for example).. just pop 1 notch of flaps as soon as you are past the vertical and retract them when you have your nose well below the horizon again.

With regards to hammerheads it's a very difficult manouver (in RL too that is  ) to do right... the key is if you shove the rudder in at too fast a speed you'll yaw the airplane but it will continue to trave straight ahead ("skid") then it slowes down but stalls out before you can get the nose around ... if you wait too long you'll not have enough rudder authority to yaw the nose and the plane will torque roll out of the vertical and spin

Try to do them only in the direction where engine Torque is helping you turning the nose e.g. left rudder on most planes (Tiffy prop turns to the other side .. and some other plane too can't recall which tho ..)

Hope that helps a bit.

Duckwing6
Aces High Training Corps

[This message has been edited by Duckwing6 (edited 09-05-2000).]

skeet

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2000, 04:10:00 AM »
Thx v. much sounds exactlty whta I need.
I always try to hammerhead right - so that will help explain that. Thanks for speed tip on yak and flaps as well.
Off to try this all offline

------------------
skeet - out

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2000, 07:24:00 AM »

Originally posted by skeet:
I always try to hammerhead right - so that will help explain that.

Not quite   , The "other aircraft" that Duckwing cant recall to have opposite spinning propeller is the...

Yak9U!  

Hammerheads in yak should be done towards the right, as turns and rolls. IS what puzzles my flying in this plane, I always find myself compensating with the wrong rudder while maneouvering...

That has lead me to some shameful augers  

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 09-10-2000).]

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2000, 07:55:00 PM »
The other thing to try is to apply opposite aileron to the rudder input to keep the plane from rolling while it yaws around.  A little down elevator too to keep the G's as close to zero as you can.  If you have a throttle, reduce the throttle through the maneuver so that when the nose is halfway pointed to the earth, you have pulled the power right off.  Center the controls and let gravity pull the nose the rest of the way.  One thing about having power on at such low speeds with the rudder deflected is that you can oscillate through the vertical and go into a spin on the way down.

funked

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2000, 07:47:00 AM »
What Wells said.  Big rudder stomp against the torque, aileron opposite the rudder to prevent rolling, and some forward stick to keep the stall horn off.  It's ok to use big control inputs but bring them on gently - rough stuff can get you in trouble.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 09-11-2000).]

skeet

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2000, 11:57:00 PM »
thx all.
Read avidly - now off to practice - again.

------------------
skeet - out