Author Topic: So i have problems with lead turning properly  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
So i have problems with lead turning properly
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 03:43:51 PM »
Thanks for the answers, from what i read here i see nothing really new to me, so it seems i already have the theory entirely absorpted over my years of online flying.
I just have to translate them now into AH2 practice by training and experience.

I think i will visit the DA now more frequently and use a wider varity of planes it it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 03:46:17 PM by Naudet »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 03:57:12 PM »
Originally posted by Naudet
Thanks for the answers, ......snipped.....

I think i will visit the DA now more frequently and use a wider varity of planes it it.

Naudet,
sometimes the best thing a long time player can do is go back to square one and start with the basics, yes all of us long time players think we know it all,  heh

but starting back at the beginning can quickly see what you are overlooking or performing wrong and most times it is so small and so simple it is too hard to see or think of.

as you have said you going to spend more time in the DA, that is a good start. something I would consider would be to get a trainer or Nomak, Shane, Morpheus, Leviathn, rawr  to name a few to go a few rounds with ya in the DA or even TA and see if they can tell you what they see you doing wrong.......flying a particular plane with in its envelope though is a must,  and if your trying to turn fight in the dora for more than say 2 revs then I would say that is ya problem in a nutshell, you are thinking pull more more more, when actually pulling less will give you more in the end ( pulling = turning)
not saying this is what you're doing, but so many in the MA and CT as well as DA have the mind set of once you merge and start turning to pull harder turn tighter ( BLEED ALL THEIR  "E" ) and the plane they are fighting is probably pulling 1/2 of what they are and still wins

think E management    part of SA

I know you know all this just trying to give a tip

need any help  email the  trainers at:
trainers(at)hitechcreations(dot)com

or can email me personally at:
TequilaChaser(at)flyaceshigh(dot)com
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 04:47:07 PM »
Originally posted by grmrpr
I have fought Redd in the DA and have lost.  Redd is very good.  Each time I have fought him he has dived below my nose.  No offense Redd but I think this is a cheap tactic.  In my experiences in WB and at the 97 Con.  The merge was always taught to me as having to be wings level at the merge at co-alt.  No plane should turn or move until wing tips have passed.  Not only are you diving down but you are pulling up before the merge takes place.  Since a no HO call was made there is no counter for the tactic other than dive down with you.

I am not saying I think the outcome of the fights would have been differant just saying that the tactic of diving below the target in a 1v1 DA fight is wrong in my book.  AC should pass co-alt wingtip to wingtip in the same energy states heading in opposing directions.

GrmRpr

I can't remember that ever being the rule in WB , but if they were, they were pretty bad rules. (I do remember Scop showing me the importance of vertical separation in a duel, and that must have been around 96/97)

I merge that way in just about every fight , both in the DA and in the MA.

Merge tactics are probably the most fun part of duelling, seeing what the other guy does, and adjusting accordingly. Horizontal and vertical seperation , speed , merge type are all things to be tweaked and changed , that can effect the outcome of a fight.

To pass wings level like you are saying would probably be unenforceable, create too many argumenents, and doesn't promote good flying that you can then apply to the MA and everywhere else.

As also mentioned by TC , the other benefit is that it is the best way to avoid HO's in the MA. Everytime someone dives into you and tries to HO , you know you have them  dead in less than 2 turns
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 04:54:22 PM by Redd »
I come from a land downunder

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2005, 04:50:30 PM »
Originally posted by Naudet
Thanks for the answers, from what i read here i see nothing really new to me, so it seems i already have the theory entirely absorpted over my years of online flying.

Hey Naudet

after our session I took the Dora out in the MA and had some fun with it. It is quite awesome . And as you were saying can do a lot more than most people try with it.

so thanks for the dora tips as well -  a win/win  
I come from a land downunder

Offline grmrpr

• Copper Member
      • http://www.maderios.org/
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 07:01:23 PM »
Originally posted by Redd
I can't remember that ever being the rule in WB , but if they were, they were pretty bad rules. (I do remember Scop showing me the importance of vertical separation in a duel, and that must have been around 96/97)

I merge that way in just about every fight , both in the DA and in the MA.

Merge tactics are probably the most fun part of duelling, seeing what the other guy does, and adjusting accordingly. Horizontal and vertical seperation , speed , merge type are all things to be tweaked and changed , that can effect the outcome of a fight.

To pass wings level like you are saying would probably be unenforceable, create too many argumenents, and doesn't promote good flying that you can then apply to the MA and everywhere else.

As also mentioned by TC , the other benefit is that it is the best way to avoid HO's in the MA. Everytime someone dives into you and tries to HO , you know you have them  dead in less than 2 turns

Hey Redd-

At the 97 Con when Edbert and I flew against Scop and Drex the rules were leads passed as I stated above and the wings were weapons free after the 2 lead ships passed.

In that particular fight Edbert and Scop went HO- Scop lost-  I slid in behind drex @d200 and was pounding him.  He was inside my convergence and didnt take too much damage.  Drex being who he is started to eventually win the turn.  I Start to drag him out but unknown to me at the time Edbert had lost his elevator in the HO with Scop.  Even w/o an Elevator the drag was so perfect Ed was almost able to finish Drex... Almost... In the end we lost Drex and Scop flew on to win the tourney and get a ride in Texas aces.  To this day I still have not forgiven Edbert for not telling me he had no Elevator ;)

Side story aside I remember the rules as I stated above.  It is no biggie ;)  Just providing feedback on your post.

GrmRpr

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005, 04:58:16 AM »
I know you know all this just trying to give a tip

I appreciate that TC and i can assure you that i try to get some DA/TA schedules with the guys you mentioned and yourself if i see you in the MA. The problem here might just be the timezone i am playing in, which means i seldom see any of the named online..

The questions i put here are really for a 1v1 co-E situation, same planes, so a situation were the pilot skills matters because all other factors are even.

When flying the Dora in the MA, this is rarely the case and i ajust my flying according to the circumstances i face, usually meaning i fly the Dora to it strengths.

But different than when i left AH1, were K/D was what counted for me most, i am now looking for good and challenging fights.
This sometimes means flying the Dora in a way very few do and some would call suicidal. It is just to much fun to see Spit and Niki pilots shake their heads in confusion when they just lost a slow speed close in dogfight against a Dora.

As i mentioned to Redd in the DA, most Dora pilots don't fly the bird to it's limits. Most take it, because it is second to none in speed except the La7.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2005, 05:58:37 AM »
What Ive been doing lately... this aint really on topic but could be used in a Dora in the MA quite well I guess... is that when I have the E advantage I go for lag turn instead of lead turn...

I go into the lag turn and let em think that Ive got em out turned. When they think they have out turned me and that I have "over shot", which is their conclution since I disapear of their six view under them, I tighten my turn. This gives me a perfect 200d shot.

When at high speeds (well as high as a Spit9 can get me) I really dont wana cut in to sharp for the lead turn. If I can get the lead turn without burning too much E yes then I take it as it gives me a good shot faster but I just dont force it. Instead I go lag and let em think they got me cleared.

I can see this working very well in a dora as most people do a sharp turn see the dora not beeing able to turn with em and flatten out.

Tex

Offline Magoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 12:36:50 PM »
Yea, lag pursuit is a wonderful thing. It does work for you if you in a high wing loaded plane against a turner, but you also need to know when to get out. A good pilot will turn your lag into a reversal. But lag pursuit is still good as it gives you options either way and it drives the bandit crazy:D  Of course some fights you don't have the luxury of playing cat and mouse with the lag and must go for a quick shot (or get out). Lag pursuit holds more of your precious E too:)

Back to topic - Naudet, try to make sure that you are at top speed upon dot range, or at least icon range. It's deceptive to the bandit and you can then dive into the fight in say a P51 doing about 500IAS 1k to 2k below the enemies. The point being if they don't see you start your dive for speed on a "merge" they will more often ignore your separation. All that's left to do is go vertical underneath them and pick out the guy that's not watching and kill him. This works well even in a 1 vs 1 if you've built speed before a merge. At worst you can get above them if they follow you nose to nose since you more often than not will have more E than you opponent.

Speed is life  - and is an easy skill to master :D

Magoo
A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all!

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2005, 06:32:16 AM »
I noticed that with TrackIR my lead turning and deflection shooting improved alot. Maybe before with the Snapviews i just didnt get the right feeling.

Additonaly i seem to pull much less G while using TrackIR and this than gives me more E to work with.

For instance i had a deck alt fight with an LA7 last WE, when he went into a right hand turn, i followed him using lag pursuit and let him gain angles on me, at the point were i could judge he would try to go for a gunssolution i had enough E left to go vertical, reverse over the top, fall in behind him at D200 and take his wing off.
Before i had TrackIR i just wouldn't have had the feeling for the right timing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 06:36:47 AM by Naudet »

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2005, 07:32:09 PM »
Each time I have fought him he has dived below my nose. No offense Redd but I think this is a cheap tactic.

That is where you want to be 99% of the time. when you are co alt/co E with another fighter. I will always dive under. And its not a "cheap" tactic" its a smart tactic.

Going under you create an angle right from the merge on. An angle that creates an advantage. You also, if under the nose of the other guy, move out of sight for a split second. Which is more than enough time to make a reversal that the higher con can't counter because he can't counter act a move he cant see.

General rules of the DA have always been you call a merge alt. 8k 6k... whatever. Climb to that alt and dont go above. Once you reach within icon range of the other con, you can go up down whatever....
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.