Author Topic: Develop your SA  (Read 872 times)

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Develop your SA
« on: May 23, 2000, 10:42:00 AM »
Last night, I had the pleasure of running into one of our newest pilots aboard who demonstrated one of the worst mistakes common among new pilots.

Target fixation. <ack>

One of the key skills that is required in this game (and one which isnt normally exercised in offline sims) is developing your SA (situational awareness).  SA requires you to constantly scan your surroundings and take into consideration so many different variables, that it can soon overwhelm many a pilot.

I will suggest some things you can do to maintain your SA.  These are the steps I go through from the time I choose where to fly until the time I land.  I by no means claim to be a master pilot but do consider myself (normally anyway   ) to have decent SA.   This allows me to set up the fite to minimize danger to myself and maximize it for my enemies.

The first thing you should do in the tower is look at the map and see where all the action is.  Are there alot of enemy dots on the map over one of our airfields with a disproportionate number of friendlies getting vulched on the runway?  Probably not a good field to take off from unless you want to add your name to someone else's kill list.  Its better to move to an adjacent base and give yourself some time to grab alt and further assess the situation at the target.

You also want to try and determine what the alt of the higher cons are at the target.  Head to the F3 view in the tower to see if the majority of the enemy cons are low on the deck racking up vulches or whether they are higher than 15k protecting incomiung buffs.  You want to be at least coalt with the higher dots when you approach the target.

While you are looking at the map, try to determine where the enemy cons are coming from.  Make sure that your ability to grab isnt hindered by enemy in your path.  Once you have figured out where the action is and how high you need to be, head to the hanger and choose your plane and loadout.

Believe it or not, your assessment of SA will depend ALOT on the type of plane you like to fly.  If you choose a P-51, you want to bring enough fuel and choose a base to take off from so that you are a few K higher than the highest expected enemy.  Its a plane that does well when fast and as such needs alot of E to attack enemies.  Addition ally, it climbs relatively slowly and as such may need a bit more time to reach a safe altitude.  A Spit or a Niki, on the otherhand, are maneuverable enough to turn the tables on a slightly higher opponent.  They both climb faster than a 51 and as such may be able to sneak out of a closer base than a plane like the 51.

Now on to your loadout.  I will neglect mention of your armament since this is truly user preference.  Your armement simply suits your style.  Although heavier armed planes kill quicker, they are usually less maneuverable.  If you choose a heavier armament, grab a little more alt so you have more E to work with.

As to fuel, you want to have the optimal amount of fuel onboard to maximize your maneuvarability at the target.  Some planes like the F4 do better when SLIGHTLY heavy than they do when lighter since your fuel weight affects your planes center of gravity.  Other planes like Spits and Niks do better when lighter.  I dont know how much fuel is optimal for each plane so dont bother asking   .  Bring enough so that you can safely return to A DIFFERENT base than your target once your ammo is depleted.  This way, if your attack on the besieged base fails to kill every enemy there, thus denying you a safe landing there, you can rtb to a different base.

Now go to the runway you have chosen and take off.  Pull up the map using ESC again and see if the situation has changed.  I am CONSTANTLY checking the map to see if there are enemies in the sector Im in or to see if the situation over the target is changing.  If all is well, scan all your views as you climb.  You should check these every 30 seconds if not sooner.  Woe to the pilot who gets blindsided by an enemy who snuck up on him while he wasnt paying attention   .  

As you climb toward the target, use the radio to find out what the enemies alt is at the target and use this as your goal.  You want to have AT LEAST this alt (and preferably some maneuving speed to go along with it) by the time you reach the target.  

Now, lets think about the ongoing situation.  Have things gotten worse at the target site for your contry?  You might have better luck bypassing the base under attack and instead try to interdict some of the incomming enemy from the enemy base.  Frequently, you can find them in a lessened state of SA since they may not realize enemy are in the area.  Since they just took off, they also may be grabbing alt for their attack on your base.  

Knowing where the enemy are coming from also prevents you from running into enemy territory if things go wrong for you during the fite (and occasionally they will).  When you pull up the map, determine which way you will run if events take a downturn.  Make a mental note of your escape route and ALWAYS remember where safety lies.

Ok, so you've spent time climbing to your attack altitude and you have found out from the map and radio the expected number of enemies as well as their current altitude.  You also know which way to escape to once things go south.  Is your SA complete?  No, especially since your environment is always changing.  Perhaps the number of enemies have dropped to the deck (good), have decreased in number (good), or your rtb base has been captured by the enemy (bad).  Reassess your situation and continue on.  Maybe you need more alt or its safe for you to stop climbing prematurely.  

Now you are approaching the target and you begin to see coalt or lower dots in your views.  What are they doing?  Do they seem to be maneuvering or just trolling along?  If they are maneuvering, odds are they are engaged in a furball.  File this little tidbit into your SA machine knowing that by the time you approach them, they will probably be even lower since all furballs typically degrade into downward spiraling fites.  If they are just trolling along, however, they may not yet realize they are in danger or they may have spotted you and have begun their stalk of you!  

Now you begin to see enemy icons pop up over those dots.  Did you remember to check all your views?  Good.  Since you are in a relatively close E state with the highest ones, its time to choose a target.  The top ranking pilots typically fite along the fringes.  Its safer to fite one at a time than it is to fite 3 or more at once.  I say typically since there are some very good pilots who just dive in willy nilly, guns ablazing.  What they lack in common sense, they make up for in pure skill.  Since we are not all Erick Hartmann's and cant expect to survive such encounters for very long, we attack SMARTER.  This means stalking the loners out on the fringes with hit and run tactics.

You have spotted your target and begin the attack.  As the distance closes, assess his E state relative to yours.  Is distance closing quickly?  Perhaps he has alot more speed than you anticipated in which case its best to disengage and reassess the situation.  Is he diving toward the deck where a bunch of his countrymen are located?  Maybe its best to disengage and reassess.  You may notice that I repeat the word reassess over and over.  Thats because your environment is constantly changing and as such, maintaining your SA is a process of reassessing your environment.  Once the attack begins, this is where SA typically breaks down.

Ok back to the fite.  Even while you are attacking you MUST periodically check your rear view.  Perhaps your SA broke down somewhere and you now have an enemy on your six.  If your SA was good, this shouldnt have happened since only you could have put yourself into this situation.  Time to reassess the situation and figure a way out of the situation.  How does your plane stack up against the one tailing you?  Are you faster?  Roll better?  Are there friendlies nearby you can drag to?  Ack?  Can you disengage or do you need to go guns defensive?  Your SA requires your to know all this at once.  Use this information to plot your escape route or if its safe, to turn the tables on your attacker.

Now, lets assume your attack is successful.  Check your views and reassess the situation.  Are you still in a superior E state to your enemy?  Find another target and begin again.  Are there higher enemy incoming?  Check your ammo and fuel states.  If you can afford the time for another set-up and attack, egress along your escape route while climbing to put yourself at an advantage again for any dots which may reappear at the target alt.  If you are near critical states for fuel or ammo, assess whether it is safe to land at the formerly besieged base or head along your escape route to the safety base (you still have enough fuel to make it dont ya?  If not, your initial SA assessment broke down   ).

If you follow this advice (and turn your brain into a multisensory Cray supercomputer) you should find yourself able to survive many more encounters.  The majority of SA breakdowns occur during combat when one target becomes fixated on another unaware that an enemy is encroaching on his six.  Get in the habit of checking your six and high six consistently even during combat.  If the situation suddenly gets bad, dont feel bad about running like a scared kid.  Its not gonna do you any good getting shot down without a kill when you could disengage and work for another position of advantage.  If you can clear a friendlies six without putting yourself into danger great but if its undoubtedly gonna get yourself killed in addition to your countryman, let that sucker fend for himself.  Its his SA that was poor...not yours   .

Maintaining good SA gives you the ability to dictate the fite rather than allowing the enemy to dictate it.  Use all the tools that HTC has been fortunate enough to include for us to constantly assess the situation.  Use the map, your views, your radio and common sense and you can very soon rack up kills with relative safety to yourself.

Feel free to fly low and slow as well and make it easier for me to kill you too!  

Good luck and I hope this was useful to someone!

-Ding

[This message has been edited by Dingy (edited 05-23-2000).]

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
Develop your SA
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2000, 11:45:00 AM »
Ding

Thanks very much. That is an excellent description of how to maintain SA. Lots of tips that I plan to use my next time out.

How about other subjects? How do you configure your views, for example,on your flight stick. How do you use these to make an attack on a bandit that is lower than you? How do you fly BFM using snap views?

Andy

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Develop your SA
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2000, 12:25:00 PM »
Very nice write up Dingy.

-Westy (of the 'gets target fixation often' tribe <G> )

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Develop your SA
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2000, 01:08:00 PM »
Good stuff, Dingy.  IMO, SA is THE most important aspect of the game.  Well, maybe second to takeoff.  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
Develop your SA
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2000, 01:32:00 PM »
Hey dingy great help
this is a great advice to newbies like me
I just enter to main arena to be in the air 3 minutes and killed every 1 .
I think this is one of the reasons why.
I just have 2 questions
1) How I check the other altitud with radio?
2) Why fly lower and slow is bad?
please excuse my english
I'm totally new to fligth simulators

RDRedwing

Develop your SA
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2000, 02:37:00 PM »
Very nice writeup Dingy!

Any chance we can add that to the tactical section of the Red Dragons' webpage? Of course you'll get full credit for it. We're trying to establish our page as the place to check if you're looking for writeups on the very basics of Aces High, and your text would be a great addition to our archive.

Terracota:
1. I think Dingy meant you should ask other guys in your target area what altitude the bad guys are at.

2. Well altitude is a very decisive factor when engaging an enemy plane. Lets begin with some basics: whenever you climb with your plane you're using kinetic energy to overcome the earth's gravitation, your plane will slow down doing that. This energy doesn't get lost in the process of climbing, its conserved as potential energy. Now when you start diving the potential energy will again be converted back into kinetic energy, this time adding to the forward motion of your plane resulting in a higher acceleration and higher speed.
So, if you engage a higher enemy plane the bogey will always have more potential energy (abbreviated E) than you. This results in him being able to dictate the rules of the fight. He can always dive down on you, make a pass and climb up again (using the kinetic energy he built up in the dive) and you can't do anything about it. You just don't have the E to climb up to his altitude and force him to fight the way you want him to.
That's why altitude and speed are that important, the guy with E always dictates how the fight is fought.
Hope that helps a bit.

------------------
Redwing
Commanding Officer
Red Dragons Aces High Division

www.reddragons.de

Sorrow[S=A]

Develop your SA
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2000, 07:38:00 PM »
Since dingy did such a spiffy job explaining the views I will expand a bit more on SA.

Andy had 2 good questions,
A:
How do you use these views to attack a lower bandit. This is where people having a HOTAS rule the roost. Simply put if you have the ability to run your quarter views you can keep tabs on a bandit below you by making constant slight banks and looking in your front left/right quarters. This means you are making a slight s path as you fly. This is FAR superiour to just "knowing" where the guy is, say from an external. It means that (quite historically) a good smart pilot and exit under you if you let him sit in your blindspot under your belly.

It also means that when you do make you dive on the con you will probably not make a straight 6 dive. This is beneficial to you, a  6 on dive is the easiest to spot for him and the easiest to evade. When your coming in from a few degrees off his lift vector you increase the odds that his straight 6 view won't catch you until you have a good jump started. Plus since your not coming at him from 180 degrees he has less room on one side to work with to get around, and increased space on the other you can roll into him with and take a shot in.

Most highly experienced pilots you watch will always bounce from an angle. This allows them more choices and reduces the angles available for a con to break turn with. The really good ones will usually invert right before the pounce and go straight vertical down, pulling out just under their victim, this "drop like a rock" dive puts them close as fast as possible to reduce the chance of the con seeing the manuever and allows them the luxury of being in a total blind spot when they approach their shot. (low 6, 7&8) when the pass through they are allready exiting their run and starting the climb. If you see someone pull this from high REACT, or your probably allready too late.

B:
Snap views. Not much to add here, the key is to recognize which way the head snaps. If you look right the head passes 12-1-2-3 O'clock. This means you get a brief glimpse of everything along the path. If you go 12-6 it goes along an UPWARD arc though. Usefull to catch a glimpse of icons above you as it passes. Use this to catch "glimpses" of cons not directly in your view. This allows you to track a plane not directly in you attention but close by. Typically I go 12-6 allot in combat as I want a glimpse of any planes in my lift vector as I check my 6. Basically use it like a padlock, the angle of the snap merely represents you adjusting your "head" angle so your eyes can follow whats in front of you. Snap back to other positions is like when you look quickly around and rely on your eyes to spot something as your head moves.

wow.. I wrote a book  

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.

[This message has been edited by Sorrow[S=A] (edited 05-23-2000).]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Develop your SA
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2000, 11:51:00 PM »
I'll add my $.002 (inflation) to the thread.

Maintaining a SA to me is not always about puttig myself in a safe or favourable situation. I'm by no means a Hartmann, but rather an average 109 driver. My normal approaches follow Ding's description with a few aircraft based differences - I go in at around 22k, *unless* I am neare A1 (25k then) or fellow pilots report very high altitude fighters. When I spot dots that are higher than me, I put my aircraft into a climb so that our alts are close to co alt or if possible co alt/slightly above.

I then assess the situation, assess the whether there are any friendlies in need of assistance and if there is, I go in to assist, Often there are higher enemies, but I feel that it can be done (somewhat) safely *as long* as your SA is maintained. When I get shot down it is more often because I've missed a high altitude b&z'er than anything else.

Having said that, if a fellow JG2'er is in trouble, or most other knights for that matter, I move in to clear si, either by spoofing the enemy into breaking or by attempting to get a kill. If the former, I check around, notice distance to higher enemies and if  it allows a climb, I grab some of my alt back, point nose to higher cons and wait for them to swoop down. If they're close, I keep speed up, call the targets, points nose to 'em and same procedure. Sooner or later they'll move in and if I can just keep them missing a few passes, I might reverse the situation or at least gettum low for other incoming kniggits to deal with.

Now, when a skilled person jumps my 6 I'm in trouble whether I know he's there or not. In the 09 I have a few choices; ensure an overshoot or run for the deck to outrun/climb the dude after a while. The 09 is a very potent 1 V 1 aircraft but not the greatest for furballs since it takes patience and time to get into a position for a good safe shot.

While I do this, I try to make sure to have at least one kniggit close by, so I can offer the enemy on my high 6 three choices; go after me, loiter above and wait or go after my buddy. The first and last choices are preferrable since that's where the action is. At any rate, if one of those two things appen, the enemy might find himself with a kniggit on his six, be it me or my friend. Now all I have to do is keep additional high enemies clear, and avoid the 1000 HO attempts from co alt and just below co alt N1k's, F4u's and Spits and so forth. The higher enemy will want to get the kill swiftly and not lose too much alt; it takes only one high enemy to ruin his day.

Now if it is clear to me that the situation will escalate as tiem goes by and I am at a lower alt in an unfavourable position, I bug out. The enemy will either let me (unlikely) or go after him, but doing so will force him dwon onto the deck since I'll be running as fast as I can where my speed advantage is the greatest.

But WHY o WHY is it that I EVERY day have to tell myself (after being shot down) to CHECK ¤#%&¤&# 6!"? Example; only flew one mission yesterday, over a27. Came in, intercepted enemy over their field, dived into break off an attack on a friendly, headed towards own field and engaged a low Spit. Got in a  few pings and then he ran into another kniggit and was out of options. Two more cons, one LA5 slightly higher and faster, but manage to get a snapshot at his belly as he underestimated my E state. Ooh, a high niki, cool. Up in Immelman, still going fast, roll *ratatatatatatatatata* WTF?!?

There was GTR, d300 in a Spit. He'd managed to sneak in somehow and caught me totally by surprise. <S!> to that!

So while maintaining a good SA in a furball where you are lower than the enemy is very difficult, one can maintain *some* SA and still fight and live.

The smarter thing however would be to follow Ding's suggestions, but I am neither smart nor patient, so I just rush in with a speed matching the zipper of a rook who's spotted a virgin sheep, or a speed that is inversely proportional to the speed at which a bischuit thinks.

It's STILL great fun  .

Even more fun without icons <nudge nudge>.

Long post, sorry.

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
Develop your SA
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2000, 04:36:00 AM »
Excellent articles !!

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Develop your SA
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2000, 05:16:00 AM »
Well A fw190 Driver must keep SA up...or he is a ded Fw190 Driver  

For me SA is not a programmed thing...I simply keep pushing keypad's numbers all day long to check all views. If you see a higher con you must keep the head cool, win speed and start to think in how will you make him overshoot. If you see a lot of higher cons, then I usually put my lille nose pointing towards mother earth and level at 550 IAS just skinning trees   that way I get some advantages:

A) Usually a 30K con doesnt like to blew those hardly won 30K in a single dive on a poor Fw190  

B) Usually the diving-from-30-K con doesnt realizes that Fw190's control surfaces last a lot more time attached to the plane than himself's  

C) Usually the con at 30K is a SpikIX or a Me109. 109 simply uses to refuse going down at more than 450mph. Spit uses to lawndart...   and when it doesnt, at 450 Mph I can do a complete loop in half his time. So the hunter is hunted      

D) Usually the con that doesnt bite the dust in one of the B) and C) examples   , bites it when a fellow knight comes to clean my six from 7K higher than the bad guy        

E) Usually when A) B) C) and D) doesnt work, I eat a lot of lead...but toejam happens, yah know                

------------------
Ram, out

Fw190D9? Ta152H1? The truth is out there
JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 05-24-2000).]

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Develop your SA
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2000, 08:25:00 AM »

Originally posted by RDRedwing:
Very nice writeup Dingy!

Any chance we can add that to the tactical section of the Red Dragons' webpage? Of course you'll get full credit for it. We're trying to establish our page as the place to check if you're looking for writeups on the very basics of Aces High, and your text would be a great addition to our archive.

Not a problem at all Redwing!  I remember how useful all these player submitted websites were when I first started playing AW many years ago.  I'd be flattered to add to an already fine collection.

-Ding

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Develop your SA
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2000, 09:05:00 AM »
Man Ding.....quit givin away all our secrets

Nice Post....Good Work

Rude Out!

RDRedwing

Develop your SA
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2000, 10:50:00 AM »
thanks Dingy  

the document is uploaded, check it out at www.reddragons.de/aceshigh/tactical

------------------
Redwing
Commanding Officer
Red Dragons Aces High Division

www.reddragons.de

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Develop your SA
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2000, 02:35:00 AM »
Very nice posts !
Now all I need is multi monitor support & a couple of friends to look at them for me  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Develop your SA
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2000, 09:53:00 AM »
Very Nice!  Good info...

I fly the P-38 which draws attackers like "DooDoo" draws flies.  My SA has to be very attentive at all times.

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew