Author Topic: Getting the Most from your Equipment and Views  (Read 638 times)

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Getting the Most from your Equipment and Views
« on: May 23, 2000, 02:24:00 PM »
In another thread, Andy Bush asked me how I configure and use my views during combat.  Rather than bury it a non-related thread, I figured I would go ahead and create a new post for those interested....besides, I love to write.  Cant ya tell?  

Its funny that this subject came up because just last week.  Someone asked me the very same question in the TA.  He didnt know that he could modify the views accessible through his hat with keyboard commands.  Once I explained how he could map the "LookUp" keyboard modifier (the 5 key on the numberpad) to a button on his joystick using the joystick mapping feature in Setup, his ability to track targets increased dramatically.

The first thing Im gonna say is that the way I set up my views is going to be different for each person depending upon what kind of equipment they use and their preferences.  I can only write about how I use my views with my equipment.  That said, lemme describe what kind of equipment I use first.

In my many years of online flight-simming, I have come to depend upon three key pieces of equipment....and it hasnt changed (with the occasional replacement of a joystick after a few years of use).  For me, the freedom of having a HOTAS (Hands on Throttle and Stick) really enhances the immersion factor of the game for me.  

The most basic piece of equipment I own is a Logitech Wingman Extreme joystick which is a standard 3 axis, analog joystick with a tophat and 4 buttons (plus a throttle lever which I have deactivated since I now own a throttle).  

A joystick with a tophat switch is the most basic yet utilitarian piece of equipment you could own if you are into online flight sims.  Most sims allow you to switch views simply by moving the hatswitch one way or another.  The less time you need to use the number keys to switch views means more time you can use the same hand to trim your plane or set throttle which is critical in getting the most out of your.  Although you only get 4 views out of the simple hats (no I dont have one of those fancy 8-way hats) you can easily check your back view with a quick flick of the thumb.

The second piece of equipment I bought was a simple set of CH Pedals.  Although I dont recommend it for beginners, I use rudder pedals to refine my aim for snapshots or tracking shots, rudder the nose over at the top of a hammerhead and to assist roll in some of the slower rolling planes.  The best tracking shots are those where you dont need to use rudder but alas, Im sure you will find instances where rudders are important.

The final piece of equipment I added to my HOTAS system was a programmable CH Pro Throttle which freed me from having to ever touch the keyboard in a fite.  I have Up/Down keyboard modifiers mapped to two buttons on the throttle so that the 4 views normally accessible by the tophat on my joystick are now 12.  For example, if I press the LookUp botton on my throttle (5 on the keypad) at the same time that I move the tophat, I have different views.   It also gives me fine control over engine output during the heat of battle.  Additionally, I also have programmed the elevator and aileron trim to one of the hat switches on the throttle so I can trim the plane during a fite.

Now how do I have my views set up?  As you know, HTC has graced us with the ability to move our head around and save that position for any plane we find.  The first view you should change is your back view (or six view).  Most planes six views are obstructed by the seat back so you want to adjust and save that one first.  What I do for most planes is move seat to the far left or right by holding down the left or right arrow keys while looking out the back of your plane.  You should see your head and perspective changing.  I also have the seat raised as far as it can go.  You can do this by using the PgUp and PgDn keys.  Do this with all your views and experiment to find the view that provides the most visibility with as little interference as possible.  Make sure you do this for your "Up" and "Down" views as well.

Some planes like the F4U which have HORRENDOUS rear views benefit from moving the seat FORWARD in the cockpit as you are looking out the back.  Regardless of whether this is historically correct or not, its available and everyone uses it....so should you.

Since I only have a 4 way hat on my joystick rather than an 8 way hat, I dont have the quarter views that others have got but I dont think they are necessary during combat.  There is enough overlap of views that the 4 views (forward, backward, left and right) combined with the LookUp modifier should be enough during the heat of battle.

Now as Andy asked, how do I use views during BFM?  I dont know how to answer that!  Set up your views so that you can maintain eye contact with the bogie at all times.  Learn how the horizon perspective changes in each view as you perform each maneuver.  

Now due to limitations in your views there will be times where you will have to roll your plane to one side or another to complete your view of the area.  The most critical piece of advice I can give is to set up your views and learn to use them so that you rarely lose sight of your enemy.

That way you can spend more time reacting to his evasives and less time switching views frantically trying to regain sight of a lost bogie.

As an unknown philosopher once said, "Lose sight, lose the fight."  

-Ding

[This message has been edited by Dingy (edited 05-23-2000).]

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2000, 05:02:00 PM »
So that's what "HOTAS" means...  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2000, 06:37:00 PM »
Ding

Many thanks again!

It is exactly these kinds of posts (and their inclusion in web site libraries)that make this sim a success.

In the real world, much of the learning for a new Lt took place at the bar...where the 'old heads' would pass along tips and techniques not to be found anywhere in print.

We don't have the bar, but we do have these forums. You experienced guys can help the newbies by putting down those lessons that you worked so hard to learn. And the newbies can help themselves by paying close attention.

The idea for the pro is not to tell the newbie what to do, but how and, often, why. The newbie can get the 'whats' out of Shaw's book, but he'll never learn the 'hows' and 'whys' unless you tell him.

Thanks again, Ding!

Andy

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2000, 11:28:00 PM »
Great thread Dingy, I've only got one potential piece of advice to add. During my tour as a trainer I got a lot of opportunity to dogfight with some great sticks. I always would quiz em with regard to my current area's of interest (usually what I'd been teaching just before...or an area I felt I could improve on). The two who amazed me were Jase and DMF...DMF worked me thru my view focus and I was amazed at the differance.

I now use the DMF view system ...50% of fight in "up" view, 15% in "front-up" 15% in "back-up" 10% in "front" and the last 10% variable based on fight...Now this is artificial at first, but you realize soon that your not getting off your old view and reaquiring con soon enough

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2000, 08:47:00 AM »

Originally posted by humble:

I now use the DMF view system ...50% of fight in "up" view, 15% in "front-up" 15% in "back-up" 10% in "front" and the last 10% variable based on fight...Now this is artificial at first, but you realize soon that your not getting off your old view and reaquiring con soon enough

Im not quite I understand DMFs view system.  What are the percentages you list?  The amount of time you spend using the view duri g a typical encounter?  Could you elaborate on this Humble?

-Ding

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2000, 11:22:00 AM »
Views, an important topic, and one I cover many times as a trainer.

First, you need to adjust your "seat" position for each view in each plane.  Before you go off to fight in a plane you haven't flown before, you need to spend a few minutes on the runway setting up your various views.  Adjust each view by holding that view with joystick or number pad keys, adjusting with the arrow keys and PGUP/PGDWN, then press F10 to save each view.  Once you have accomplished this, you will have "optimized" views for that plane and they will be saved.

Now, depending on what type of controls you use, you need to map different views to various buttons.  The other option, and a good one to learn on, is to use the number pad, which has pretty much all you need already set up with one exception.  One of the most important views in AH or any similar game is the forward/up 45 degree view.  This is normally not assigned a single button, but is obtained by combining your forward view with the up modifier.  The first thing to do is map this forward/up view to "up" on your view hat, and number 8 on the number pad.  Ideally, you want all of your important views on your joystick or throttle.  I have an 8 way hat where forward is set to front/up, and the rest default.  I use another jstick button for UP that I can use to modify the other views if need be.

The forward/up, up, up/back, and back views are the ones you need to practice with first and get used to.  These are the views you will use primarily, due to the mechanics of air combat.  In order to point our nose at the bad guy to shoot him, we keep our lift vector pointed at him, this simply means that most of the time we are looking up at various angles to see him.  The view sequence you need to practice is back - back/up - up - front/up - front.  Those are the critical ones.  On the number pad it's just 2, then 2&5, then 5, then 8, and nothing for default front view.  A good way to practice this is by doing loops over an airfield and practice keeping a hanger or the tower in view.  Normally at a merge you follow this sequence, as when you pass the bad guy you will switch to your rear view, and then work the above sequence until he is in front of you again.

For the other views, there are a few things you can do to help.  First, play with your stick mappings and until you have a fast, easy setup you can use.  Customize it for your own use, but you should be able to quickly and easily do the rear to front view scan, as well as a more general scan to see what's happening around you.  Second, you have to practice tracking objects using your views, especially if you are used to a padlock.  Think what direction you would move your head to see the bogey, and move your view hat the same direction.  Third, you need to learn to anticipate what the other guy will do on a merge.  If you have a good idea where he will be and where you will be, you will know where to look.

It takes some practice, but once you have a comfortable view setup it will quickly become second nature.  Remember to use your vies not only to track a bad guy, but to scan the skies constantly to keep your SA high!

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

"MY P-47 is a pretty good ship
And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip
I was thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip
Always got me through so far
Well they can ship me all over this great big world
But I'll never find nothing like my North End girl
I'm taking her home with me one day, sir
Soon as we win this war"
 - Steve Earl

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2000, 11:47:00 AM »
Views?  There  are views in this game?  Hell, I only look forward to the future, so I only look forward in the cockpit.  I use what you young guys wouldn't know about , instinct and SA!  Hell, when I'm flying with my mouse, with 1 hand, and no rudders, I still get kills, and I never fly higher than 5 feet!  Hell, I use a mono-chrome monitor at that!, with a broken contrast!...and, I have one of the very few coal-burning computers, that you have to put a quarter in the slot every 5 mins to keep it going!

To hell with views, SA is much more reliable!

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
~GeschwaderKommodore~I./JG2~Richthofen~[/i]
CLICK>> JG2 "Richthofen"
Panzer Group Afrika~15th Panzer Division~[/i]
CLICK>> 15th Panzer Division

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.  Remember, when
someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it
only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm, grasp the joystick button,
and shoot the sucker down!

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 05-24-2000).]

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2000, 01:05:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
Views?  Hell, I use a mono-chrome monitor at that!, with a broken contrast!...and, I have one of the very few coal-burning computers, that you have to put a quarter in the slot every 5 mins to keep it going!

Hah!  You lucky dog, I dont even have a monitor!  I gotta listen real close to my computer and try to imagine where the other plane is.

As for you having to fly with a mouse, go ahead and brag about your awesome setup there.  I gotta hope someone flys into my gunsite while Im flying straight and level.  

Dingy the comedian has left the building.  

-Ding

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2000, 01:41:00 PM »
Dingy,

I've always been amazed at DMF's ability to respond to a fight...he preaches a "read and react" merge philosphy. As we talked the subject of views came up..this was the estimate of time in each view (to best of my recollection)...what I found is that I "follow" con's thru the view's...DMF changes view ahead of con...by artifically forcing myself I quickly reshaped my thought proccess...now I'm often waiting for con to appear...75% of time they do exactly what i expected..10% or so I quickly reaquire on 2nd option...and 15% or so screen goes red

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson