Author Topic: Need Help Badly  (Read 711 times)

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Need Help Badly
« on: May 24, 2000, 02:33:00 PM »
I've been flying AH for about 10 days, and I just cannot get the hang of surviving. The only other prop sim I've flown is EAW and none of the tactics I used in that seems to help much, which doesn't really suprise me.
Basically, I think I've learned a fair bit so far, and I'm quite happy with my attacking, but whenever I get bounced by a plane with higher E I die. Every time.
I mostly fly a Spit 9. Any tips on how to survive when I have lower E? I can't seem to outturn any attack, though if I get into a sustained turning fight I can just about cope, as long as it isn't against another Spit or N1K1.
Any help gratefully recieved.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Need Help Badly
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2000, 02:42:00 PM »
Stop by the Training Arena.  There will often be someone there who will practice with you.  
If no trainers are in the TA, get on channel 1 in the MA and ask for a trainer, or others who will go to the TA and work with you.

If you want to set up a specific time, I will meet you in the TA.  My email:  ellinger@umich.edu

popeye

AH Training Corps
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Need Help Badly
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2000, 02:44:00 PM »
Nashwan,

I would suggest you log into the training arena or make an appointment with one of them.  They can help you more than any post will here.  
------------------------
daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels
Snapshots

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, if  he gets angry, he'll be a mile away - and barefoot.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Need Help Badly
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2000, 03:50:00 PM »
remember netlag and add it to any evasives you do.  Start your breaks a second or so earlier than you normally would, because you are seeing the guy where he was about a second ago.  If the distance is 950 on your FE he's probably seeing 600-650

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Need Help Badly
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2000, 12:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the offers of training, but I am not a paying customer yet and I wouldn't want to take up a trainers time until I sign up for an account. (Hopefully soon if NTL are to be believed)
I will keep trying, and if I meet my target of a K/D ratio of 1 by the end of my 2 weeks I will be happy. I must say it's been an education just flying AH, the skills most pilots display leave me in awe. How anyone can rack up 48 kills without a loss (ons I think his name is) is beyond me.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Need Help Badly
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2000, 03:24:00 PM »
Nashwan,
  I wouldn't always set a goal for yourself like having a 1:1 kill ratio.  1:1 ratios in AH are pretty damn good considering the quality of pilots here.

Look more for good things you do in a battle vs bad things.  Tape your battles and watch them over to see where you make mistakes.  Usually you can see the instant that you made a mistake that cost you the fight.  Start by gauging yourself on things you are doing right and work to eliminate the things you are doing wrong.

------------------
Soda
The Wrecking Crew

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Need Help Badly
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2000, 03:24:00 PM »
we're here to turn you into a paying customer ...the more you understand the better you'll do...the more you'll enjoy it-----> Paying customer

Come see us before your time online is up.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Need Help Badly
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2000, 05:37:00 PM »
I'm having far too much fun to "waste" any of my time training  

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Need Help Badly
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2000, 08:17:00 AM »

Originally posted by Nashwan:
I'm having far too much fun to "waste" any of my time training  

Thats the most important part of the game.  Having fun.  

But remember this: many of us have been flying for years and still find others who can teach us something new.

The learning experience should not end once you reach a 1:1 K/D ratio.  I think you will find that the learning experience is the one that fuels your excitement for real air combat the most!

-Ding