Author Topic: How to Avoid geting Shot in your Chute 101  (Read 755 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
How to Avoid geting Shot in your Chute 101
« on: May 25, 2000, 12:36:00 PM »
I keep seeing quite a few posts about people that bail from their crippled aircraft to only be shot by some evil Chute Shooter.   And then that person gets quite upset, and an arguement starts.  

So how do you avoid being shot while in your Chute?

Its quite simple really, its called a HALO manuever.

High
Altitude
Low
Opening

Say your aircraft has just had its wing removed and your at 10,000ft. Most pilots would bail and immediately open their Chute, only to die to an ECS (Evil Chute Shooter), like a shark that circles a struggling swimmer in the water.

Don't open your chute until you are very low !!

As you fall use a side view to judge (just like how you look left or right out of your aircraft normally) you altitude by using the horizon as a reference.

Practice this in the TA a little, and you will find that you can open your chute safely and consistently at as little as 1,000ft (800ft if your good) without splatting into the earth, and also without making yourself a nice juicy target as you "swing under the silk".

It works   So if you get shot in your chute, you only have yourself to blame. Plus you don't have to wait all that time to go and replane.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 05-25-2000).]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2000, 12:40:00 PM »
 Ive been shot while freefalling many times.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2000, 01:12:00 PM »
I didn't say it would make you an invulnerable Superman.  

But it certain cuts down on the time that your a nice juicy sitting duck target.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2000, 02:29:00 PM »
As someone who uses 3 "return"s a lot I have experience in low opening - if you stay with the view of the ground in freefall wait untill the sheep become visible as white dots then pull the rip - seems to work for me. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE GROUND CLUTTER TURNED OFF THOUGH !

P.S. - why can't you bail from a gun turret but have to go back to the cockpit ??

P.P.S. If you bail from a slight inverted and pull rip straight away you can descend upside down with the chute below you - only managed it once and descent rate is VERY slow.  

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2000, 03:25:00 PM »
The absolute easiest way not to get shot in the chute is do not bail.
 Riding the plane down to the inevitable ground blossom is the fastest way to get back in a new aircraft too.  

-Westy

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2000, 10:10:00 PM »
Oh, an alternative is not flying the C hog  
I don't shoot chutes, but C hog drivers in chutes are soooo tempting. What else can I do to discourage them?  

*NOTE: To those of you who have misplaced or damaged your humor cchip, it is possible to replace the defect units. Talk to me about it and I'm sure me and my scalpel can help out*

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2000, 10:30:00 PM »
The bad thing with cannon Hog is that it always ends low on the deck, so they can't bail to be chute strafed, grrr....

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2000, 10:50:00 PM »
Plan B would be to give us sidearms.    Notice that we have a rifle, but can't use it.

Maybe once in a year you might actually damage a plane with your sidearm.  

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS