Author Topic: Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!  (Read 1310 times)

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!
« on: January 19, 2005, 08:01:52 AM »
It's time to get Curtiss Haw 75A to Aces High. It has been all the battle fields: Eastern, European and Pacific:

The prototype of the plane was designed as a result of a fighter desing competition in 1935 in the USA. Don Berlin was the main designer of the plane. The serial production planes got marking P-36A. They entered in service in 1936 in USA . The export modell was Hawk 75A. The first and the biggest buyer was France. Other customers were Norway, China, Netherlans East-India and Persia. The rest 200 planes that was sold to France went to England after Germany had occupyed France. Curtiss P-36 and Hawk 75 series planes were produced 1021 in all.
_____________________________ ____________

FINLAND

In the spring 1941 Finland bought aeroplanes from Germany, which it had captured when it occupied France and Norway. The commerce included among other things 29 Curtiss fighters. In the year 1943 Finland bought 15 planes more from Germany, so in all Finish Air Force have had 44 planes in service.

At the beginning the planes served in Reconnaissance Squadrons, but the planes were ordered to Fighter Squadron 32 (Lentolaivue 32).

Its advantages were agility and good flying caracteristics and it was also a robust machine. Curtiss Hawks, nicnamed "Sussu", gained 190 confirmed kills in Finnish Air Force, and the major success of the type took place in the hands of Finnish pilots.

Finnis Air Force had 44 Curtiss Hawk 75A (A1-A4 and A6 models)

FRANCE

On the first day of the attack on France, Groupe de Chasse (fighter squadron; GC) I/5 shot down eight Dornier Do 17s from KG 3 and GC II/5 shot down three Heinkel He 111s of I./KG 53.  Between May 10 and June 24, 1940, the Groupes de Chasse that operated Hawks claimed 230 confirmed and 81 probable kills.  

These units performed much better than other French fighter units in May and June, at least in part because they also had been assigned France’s elite pilots.  Because of the Hawks’ good performance and because replacement aircraft were readily available during the fighting, all Hawk 75 units remained at nearly full strength until the Armistice was signed.

Armee de l'Air had 291 Curtiss Hawk 75A (A1-A3 models)

NETHERLANDS EAST INDIES AIR FORCE

For example, Java was defended by 24 Curtiss Hawk 75A-7s, plus additional American and British remnants from Malaya and the Philippines. All 24 were destroyed during the first three days of the Japanese attack, March 2-5, 1942.

The Netherlands East Indies Air Force (NEIAF), like the rest of the East Indies forces, remained as Allies after May, 1940. Even before May, 1940, the NEIAF was equipped differently than the LVA, since the USA was much closer than Holland. NEIAF was spread across the Southwest Pacific area over the Dutch holdings.

By August, 1941, the NEIAF had 24 Curtiss Hawk 75A-7s

THAILAND

Thailand had a small air force. It was modern for its corner of the world. It was used independently when Thailand attacked Vichy Indo China in January 1941. It was taken over by the Japanese when they invaded Thailand on their way south and west in late 1941/early 1942.

The Thai Air Force included: 24 Curtiss Hawk 75N (half armed with 23mm Madsen cannon)

CHINA

China had limited funds, and bought a variety of aircraft in small lots in 1938-1941.

These included 100 Curtiss P-36M Hawks (fighters) assembled by CAMCO

And don't forget the Brewster Model 293! :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 08:43:39 AM by kanttori »
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 08:07:56 AM »
does that mean we will need a higher eny value then 60? :D

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 08:46:44 AM »
Good point Flyboy! ;)

It means that we can in the future make to scenarios and Combat theater also early war setups, for ex. France 1940 and Finland-Russian 1941 - 42.

We also need very many other early war planes to AH: Morane Saulnier, Fiat G50, Rata (Polikarpov I-16) etc. etc.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 08:55:33 AM by kanttori »

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 08:52:38 AM »
Add the J8A while at it... so *all* us swedes have something to fly..;)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 09:13:22 AM »
It would be outclassed in the MA but the MA is just the practice arena for scenarios. I like it when events have the right planes rather than using a p40 and slapping a skin on it calling it a H75.

~AoM~

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 09:14:49 AM »
I want ,want ,want ,really I want this plane

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 09:20:39 AM »
Yes, the Hawk 75A would be a nice addition. It's true that it probably wouldn't see much MA use, but in scenarios and in the Historical Arena - err, Combat theatre :) - it'd be very welcome. With other early war fighters and bombers...

Plus the H75A was the main ride of Lentolaivue 32 in 1941-44. :)
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
hawk
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 10:24:43 AM »
surly in design wise  AH can adapt the flight model for the p40 and change the front to a radial engine.most of the work is done  and i would think it would be a esier conversion then building a new flight model?.
  then again i am proberly wrong.
rogerdee
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 10:37:23 AM »
I wish the finns used some Fokker G.1's

Than u would advocate for that plane too.

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
Re: hawk
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 12:19:49 PM »
Originally posted by rogerdee
surly in design wise  AH can adapt the flight model for the p40 and change the front to a radial engine.most of the work is done  and i would think it would be a esier conversion then building a new flight model?.
  then again i am proberly wrong.
rogerdee

I think the same, too: take P40's back and cockpit and build the front! :)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 12:20:01 PM »
I'd fly it.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 12:40:28 PM »
IMHO we surely could use more early war planes. After all, most  of them were used throughout the war in various tasks, moving slowly to secondary positions and duties as more efficient planes were created. A rough estimation: Pre- and early war planes played a major role for  40% of the war years, meaning the two first years. How about the "über"planes? No wonder they are perked. They acted more as examples of technical superiority, as fearsome psychological weapons.

Early war aircraft were planned and manufactured with plenty of time, material  and craftmanship, compared to late war innovations which were hardly more than prototypes.

I'd rather fly a Curtiss than a 262
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 12:56:48 PM »
i think it should be added.

that way the soumi hoard in the CT would actually be forced to fight rather than bnz/run in their 109G-2's ;)
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Curtiss Hawk 75A to AH!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 02:25:20 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
i think it should be added.

Wow, that's not what I expected at all lol.

I believe there were also some of these in the Philippines, where McCarther brilliantly deployed them as ground based bullet magnets.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.