Author Topic: landing the B-17 ...  (Read 399 times)

Offline Goner

• Copper Member
landing the B-17 ...
« on: November 11, 2001, 04:02:00 PM »
could use some tips ; can it be done without flaps ?
and what is the best speed ?

tia,
Goner

Offline jpeg

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.steveo.us
landing the B-17 ...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2001, 04:06:00 PM »
It can be done without flaps but extending flaps one notch helps a lot.

I usually land at 100 - 115mph

Personaly I find b17 to be the easiest plane (fighter or bomber) to land in the game.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
landing the B-17 ...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2001, 01:37:00 AM »
Take your time in the decent. Unlike fighter planes, which can do some crazy super-low alt turns and flips to lose speed(which, by the way, was severely dangerous thing to do in real life... :D ), bombers need some distance to the approach.

The good thing is, even if bombers gain speed on the decent, they quickly lose it and usually come stable at 200 mph or so. So, about 10 miles ahead of your landing base, start the decent and cut down throttle. Flaps aren't needed, but I usually like to do it the realistic way, I put on full flaps for landing settings. Approach runway at about 120 mph and set her down gently.

Offline Goner

• Copper Member
landing the B-17 ...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2001, 01:58:00 AM »
even if bombers gain speed on the decent, they quickly lose it

that's what most surprised me ; i have to do everything i can to lose speed landing a fighter and the B-17 just fell out of the sky ... ;-(

thanks for the tips, guys !!
i'll keep practicing, wouldn't want to lose my buff landing in Big Week ...

Goner

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
landing the B-17 ...
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2001, 02:25:00 AM »
Dweeby buff landing:

reduce speed to 120 in level flight, set speed to 120 and engage Alt-X, drop flaps and gear.

Jump to nose gun, allowing a perfect view of the approach, control glide slope with throttle, correct alignment with rudders.

Just before touch down, jump back to pilot and land the thing.

Offline B-17 Gunner

• Zinc Member
Re: landing the B-17 ...
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2002, 05:56:56 PM »
Originally posted by Goner
could use some tips ; can it be done without flaps ?
and what is the best speed ?

tia,
Goner

:cool:
 to answer your question yes it can be done without flaps, and for a speed, below 30 % .  A couple feet from touch down as soo as your gear touch the ground push slightly down on control stick / tap ^ on your arrow keys to make sure that you stay on the ground but only hold it for 3 seconds,during that 3 seconds also put the brakes into a locked positionand DO NOT OVER SHOOT,if you do (STEPS) 1.release the brakes full throttle as fast as possible and try to get to an airspeed of atleast 90 if not that then pull up but don't climb to hard.then get to an alltitude of above 20 ft. thats all I can do for ya on that topic for a B-17,if needing more advice contact me at-  bachman47@hotmail.com
:cool: :rolleyes:

Offline RabidSquirrel

• Zinc Member
landing the B-17 ...
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2002, 09:06:17 PM »
Goner,

If you would like I could set up a H2H arena and I could teach you my way of landing buff's. My arena is called "Squirral's War & Destruction". I usually host on Friday night's sometime around 10:30 and 11:00pm eastern time. Or you can email at the address : Game_390ci@yahoo.com : to set up a date and time. It would have to be after 9:00pm eastern time though. Ur Welcome mate!! :D

Squirral

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
landing the B-17 ...
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2002, 02:23:13 AM »
Originally posted by RabidSquirrel
Goner,
Unfortunately, Goner quit Aces High after having severe problems accessing the game during Bigweek last year.... far as I know he has not returned so far, playing IL-2 instead.
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
landing the B-17 ...
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2002, 04:08:20 AM »
I'll add my 2 cents :)

I always use full flaps on finals in a B17, using low throttle to control rate of descent, holding the speed around 110 knots, if the sink rate is too high open the throttle slightly and on full flap it will gain altitude again. As you pass over the runway threshold I ease back on the stick with a blip of throttle to stop any stall and try and make a real smooth touch down. If you are lined up nicely on approach no rudder input is required and the roll out will be straight without having to apply rudder or differential braking on the runway.