Author Topic: Need some help finding profile pic  (Read 564 times)

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
Need some help finding profile pic
« on: January 24, 2005, 12:21:39 PM »
I have been looking for a profile pic of David Lee "Tex" Hill's P-51B that he flew after the AVG pilots formed the 23rd Fighter Group. All I have been able to find so far was a painting but other photos have not been so easy. Google is turning up a bunch of articles on Hill but they dont have any aircraft photos.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 02:27:44 PM »
I did a skin of that plane fot AH1
I really have no idea where i found the picture I used as a reference but here is a screen shot of what it looked like in AH1.
(not the best pic, i ended up deleting all my old pictures, dont know why that one survived)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 11:19:47 PM »
Dug through all my stuff and almost struck out on this one.  I knew I'd seen it, and of course it was in a little P51 book hiding under a big pile of other books :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 12:08:59 AM »
Guppy, Thank you very very much. Thast exactly the picture I had pictured in my head but couldnt find anywhere online.

Is there a "One" book or is it a collection of books that squad art/ paint schemes can be referenced to?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 12:47:09 AM »
Originally posted by Wolf14
Guppy, Thank you very very much. Thast exactly the picture I had pictured in my head but couldnt find anywhere online.

Is there a "One" book or is it a collection of books that squad art/ paint schemes can be referenced to?

I've been putting my library together for 30 years.  There is no one reference sad to say.  At this point I just know where to look in my stuff.

If you were going to start small, I'd suggest the Osprey Aces series though.  It focuses on a single aircraft and theater and then has lots of profiles and photos.

This profile came from an old 'Flying Colors'P51 Mustang in Color" by Larry Davis.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters