Author Topic: What's needed for a map to function properly  (Read 454 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
What's needed for a map to function properly
« on: January 25, 2005, 12:15:28 PM »
Ok, so I have been building a map/terrain

I am prob near 60% complete ( I think )

this map/terrain is to be submitted for use in the KOTH tournaments in the SEA

1st - being a small event is the 64map size ok, I know you should use the large map sizes for MA but saw nothing in regards to size in other arenas

what is the minimum # of bases needed, does each base/country need a HQ

for this to work online does it have to include all 3 countrys?

I still need to set some elevations, add planes etc........to finish it up

please fill me in on the details I need to cover

btw.... I built it in AHeditor then converted it with the AH2Editor
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 12:37:31 PM »
Minimum 1 HQ and 1 airfield per country.

And you don't need to add planes in the TE.

Be advised that the AH2 TE does not have a working error detector, so there is no way of telling how many bugs are in there.

I assume this is the same terrain we discussed in the KoTH forum last week...?
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 12:42:13 PM »
not the same  terrain Dux. I had started this one awhile back, just figured I finish it and submit it.

If I finish it in AH1 editor and test it, then go back and convert it, will I be able to get rid of any bugs? or will bugs possibly show up after converting it?

not sure that it would have many bugs if any since it is so small.

I can zip it up and email it to you if you want  to finish it up. You prob can move along alot faster than me  using the editor
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 03:25:07 PM »
It's really not a matter of who, TC. Several veterans of the Terrain Team have all submitted terrains recently, and each one had to be "rebuilt by hand" by Skuzzy. There is just no way to tell if there are bugs or not. Even if it's perfect in AH1 and you convert it. :(

You can submit it to Skuzzy if you want... I certainly won't stop you... all I can say is that with all that Skuzzy has going on right now, it's probably the same amount of time to wait whether Skuzzy gets to it on his priority list, or that you make it yourself when the new TE comes out.

I'll let you make that choice for yourself.

In the meantime... would you like me to make a clipboard map for it?
Rogue Squadron, CO

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 04:03:49 PM »
Originally posted by Dux
It's really not a matter of who, TC. Several veterans of the Terrain Team have all submitted terrains recently, and each one had to be "rebuilt by hand" by Skuzzy. There is just no way to tell if there are bugs or not. Even if it's perfect in AH1 and you convert it. :(

Thanks Dux, you answered a number of questions for me with this reply

You can submit it to Skuzzy if you want... I certainly won't stop you... all I can say is that with all that Skuzzy has going on right now, it's probably the same amount of time to wait whether Skuzzy gets to it on his priority list, or that you make it yourself when the new TE comes out.

I'll finish it up, for now, and wait for new TE to see how  it appears or shows  any bugs when the new TE is available

In the meantime... would you like me to make a clipboard map for it?

sure Dux, that would be great, will send an email to ya after I finish with the elevations.....appreciate the offer

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 01:33:15 PM »
Anytime, TC... always glad to help. All you'll need to send is the ELV and the TYP files.
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 11:54:34 PM »
Originally posted by Dux
Anytime, TC... always glad to help. All you'll need to send is the ELV and the TYP files.

Thanks Dux,
I have a couple more questions, ok I have no invalid water vertices all check ok......

for objects I am showing the following:
Knight: 1 Void, 1 tower, 1 maproom, 1 town, 1 HQ , 1 Group Master

for Bishop: same ( except no Group Master )

for Rook: same ( except no Group Master )

correction: ( I actually have not named the fields per say,  K=#1  B=#2  R=#3 )

what is this group master? why did it show up for Knight field and not the rest?

I am assuming VOID is the airfield it self, since the object name does not list airfield in the drop down list , it does list runway though....should I have named it runway or left it as VOID?

I went thru and checked all my elevations, this being a fanasy type map for KOTH, I was not to worried about realistic looking slopes thru out, I wanted to mix it up a little....

I did as you said and did not enable the planes etc.......if I use object report and check it for errors everything comes back good....

anything else I should do before I send you the ELV and TYP files so you can make the clipboard map?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 11:57:28 PM by TequilaChaser »

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 09:34:42 PM »
The Void could be any number of things.

Also, don't trust the error checker, it's broken.
Rogue Squadron, CO