Author Topic: Skuzzy any word on AH Commercial?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
Skuzzy any word on AH Commercial?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005, 08:54:27 AM »
OK big plus for the time and effort that went into realization of this spot...

However, in my personal opinion, AH is a game that needs much better spot since this one is not quite worth of the game itself.

The commentary is way too fast,  extremely cheezy arcade music on the background... Sure it§s better than nothing but the game is better and IMHO it deserves a better spot because as Lada wrote, with spot like this it may actually drive pwople away than to drag them in...

Speaking for myself who's around here since the beta.... If I had zip experience with AH I would not join AH after seeing this movie... It looks cheap....

Just my $0.02

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2005, 11:43:56 AM »
A little too much "Where can You?!!" going on there. Sounds like a Ronco ad.

~AoM~

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »
Good video selection!!!

Voice over guy sux, inflection is all weird.  Sounds like he was running laps while reading his lines.

Anybody know if the NFL films guys is around. :D   Could you picture that guy doing the voice over.:aok

Or how about Lee Ermy or whatever that mail call guys name is.  You know Coach From Saving Sileverman or DI from Full Metal Jacket.  "That's right pukes get in that cockpit and kick some arse." - "Did you say TEXAS! Boy.  Only two things come from TEXAS!"...  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 11:56:15 AM by mars01 »

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2005, 12:01:47 PM »
Yeah the voice over dude deffinately sounds like he's running with his script. Also does have that infomercial sound.

Its is cool to see though none the less :)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2005, 04:25:18 PM »
Originally posted by Dawggus
WooHoo, I made the cut!  That's me in the second sequence, the P51 with DTs peeling a 109 off the bomber formation ;).  Pass me the sunglasses please :).

Cya Up!

Dawg

I'm pretty sure it's me in the 262 attacking the B17s!

I'm teh famous, I'm on TV!

:rofl

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2005, 06:18:05 PM »
IMO all you guys attacking comercial can silence yourself for now. If you dont thini its that great do it all yourself. You make it. Im glad it isnt that great. Shows HTC is spending time on the game, not a comercial.

My .002 cents :D
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2005, 06:29:07 PM »
Nobody made any insulting comments, and as many seem to agree the constructive criticism about the Voice Over is just that.

I think HTC has thick enough skin to take a little constructive criticisim.

Unless that was you BlueJ?  Then don't quit your day job.:D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 06:39:37 PM by mars01 »

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2005, 06:30:57 PM »
Advertising can be one of those things where you're darned if you do and darned if you don't.  Top quality commercials can cost a fortune and take a long time, if ever, to pay for themselves with increased business.  

Nobody wants to release a commercial than reflects adversely on themselves.  I'm guessing this was a relatively inexpensive commercial that strikes a reasonable balance between quality and investment.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2005, 06:34:34 PM »
I guess it is a good thing that anybody that was impressed by the commercial will be even more impressed with the game.  No let down there.

And, any advertising is better than no advertising.  How many flight sim commercials have I seen?  0

Course I dont have cable....

That 15 dollars a month goes to HTC.  Much better for dale to have it than the cheesedorks that believe it is okay to advertise sugar to children and sell spray cans that 'take care of the bacteria in the air!".

The only ads I would pay to watch are for French wine, Sherry from Jerez, Port from Portugal, and Scotch from an island.  They dont have them, they dont need them, so I wont pay to watch anything else.  

fyi no offence to HTC, but in the mainstream of products (soap, beer, food) have you ever noticed that only the real ****ty products you definitely dont need and really shouldnt consume  are the ones that advertize the most?  How many Bass beer commercials do you see?  How many Bud commercials do you see?  Why is bass still sold in nearly every grocery store in the United States?  Quality man.

erg

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2005, 06:53:50 PM »
Mars- Did not mean insult. And I know HTC has thick skin, like elephant :D . Im just glad the priority is on the game not a comercial.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2005, 07:32:39 PM »
What would be better would be to have that radio chatter voice like "Watch yer 6 Mars01! "... And guys saying "Bomb's Away!" while looking thru a bombsight. To me its not how many different things I can use, but how emmersive(sp) it is. All with a ww2 era musical score.

~AoM~

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2005, 07:47:11 PM »
Originally posted by Halo
Advertising can be one of those things where you're darned if you do and darned if you don't.  Top quality commercials can cost a fortune and take a long time, if ever, to pay for themselves with increased business.  

Nobody wants to release a commercial than reflects adversely on themselves.  I'm guessing this was a relatively inexpensive commercial that strikes a reasonable balance between quality and investment.

Yup.  I thought I wanted to be in marketing as a lifer, even have the framed paper on the wall to prove it, but soon lost interest.

The prob today is with the multitude of media available for advertising, is finding your target audience within your budget, and still spending enough to be effective. ( actually, nothin 'today' about that problem, has always been so).

The target is still out there, It's just that with hundreds of tv chans.(open air, cable, sat.), radio (reg and sat), print and the ever growing virtual world, it's harder to find and isolate the target market.

One thing that has helped is the cost of production has been shaved WAY down. Modern software and creative media tools has allowed the the advertiser to produce a base set of ideas and then modify them, quite inexpensively, to seek that target , wherever they may hide. As well, the explosion of medias, has also dropped spot prices in specialty areas, which is where most ' gamers' would be found.

So you could have this same spot showing as a link on  gaming webpages with a younger target, or chop it up a bit, change sound, slow it down and show it on a TV chan. during a WW2 historic spot, thereby targeting an older crowd, and so on....

Good work , and good luck HT .
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline paulobrien6969

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/rafspitfires/index.htm
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2005, 12:56:40 AM »
im famous,look at me mum
my 1 second of fame
VIP area's for me from now on!
screaming fan"hey its that guy who was the third tank from the top in that advert"
me in fonz voice"eyyy"

IMHO that guy in advert was on speed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 05:14:47 AM by paulobrien6969 »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2005, 07:34:48 AM »
Interesting comments about finding the target market, airbumba.

I've always thought if a group of us would set up a tent at an airshow and hook together 4 or 6 systems for LAN play   (especially if you have cool home-made cockpits) and give away free CDs of AH, we could get a lot of new players.

I dunno if internet connections would be impossible to come by at an airshow, but offering a free online experience of AH would also be cool.    

Airshows have a pretty good cross section of ages; but everybody there made the trip because they have a thing for WWII aviation.     I think that's another way to get to the non-gamer target audience.

Also, with the quality of AH movies that Sanjini, Stream, and others produce I bet you could get one of them to make a top quality 30-second spot.    Maybe have a competition and the winner gets his spot shown on Wings for a month or something.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2005, 07:45:40 AM »
Just get in good with the some of the bomber pilots....

Load up the bombay with "propaganda"  "Aces  High flyers and drop em at airshows....lol