Author Topic: Skuzzy any word on AH Commercial?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
Skuzzy any word on AH Commercial?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2005, 07:47:29 AM »
Speaking of doing a presentation at an Airshow, well it is possible and it really drags new souls in... From personal experience here in Czech Republic we did an online presentation for online civil virtual flyiing (IVAO Network).

Got few sponsors, set up a booth in an hangar just between a MiG-21 and SAAB Drakken. Our booth had more visitors than the other booths in this same hangar combined. And the outcome? The numbers of members of the Czech division started to grow dramaticaly after this public presentation. So... It is possible and it has positive effect... ;)

Offline o0Stream140o

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2005, 09:27:43 AM »
Originally posted by oboe
Also, with the quality of AH movies that Sanjini, Stream, and others produce I bet you could get one of them to make a top quality 30-second spot.    Maybe have a competition and the winner gets his spot shown on Wings for a month or something.

All they have to do is ask.... and tell me what kind of music they want....  I could try to come up with something....  

Stream

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2005, 12:26:22 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
Interesting comments about finding the target market, airbumba.

I've always thought if a group of us would set up a tent at an airshow and hook together 4 or 6 systems for LAN play   (especially if you have cool home-made cockpits) and give away free CDs of AH, we could get a lot of new players.

I dunno if internet connections would be impossible to come by at an airshow, but offering a free online experience of AH would also be cool.    

Airshows have a pretty good cross section of ages; but everybody there made the trip because they have a thing for WWII aviation.     I think that's another way to get to the non-gamer target audience.

Also, with the quality of AH movies that Sanjini, Stream, and others produce I bet you could get one of them to make a top quality 30-second spot.    Maybe have a competition and the winner gets his spot shown on Wings for a month or something.

That there is a fine idea Oboe. I forgot the 'trade show' aspect for AH adverts.  The company would like it even more if it could keep it's expenses at a min. by running such an idea on a commision bases.

Say the company puts together a basic package for the people who'll set up a booth, with free flyers, the films and a mirrored webpage that would register each player that was signed up through the booth presentation and give the presentation folks a commision. I think they have/had some sorta commision thing going before.The commission would have to be worth it if it were up to individuals to pay out for booth space, manpower and equipment.

On the other hand, for less of a commission, the company could send the equipment and pay for booth rental, but then the commision would obviously be lower.

I imagine a market study could be done first, for cheap. Say a month or two of free AH a person could go to an airshow with a survey, and question a couple hundred people to get an idea of over all interest from the same people you'd target in such a promo. That would be a solid first step.

Good idea Oboe .
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2005, 12:58:55 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
And having to sit through the stupid Ionic Breeze Mini Movies.  Fk.

Anyone catch the Legends of Air Power on Mitchell last night.  Amazing Guy!!  To think he predicted the attack on pearl by air and got court martialed for it.

Actually he was "let go" for pissing off every member of the brass in Washington, and most of Congress.  I think he deserves every bit of praise you can heap on the man, he was extremely intelligent and far-sighted.  He was also a fanatic in the strongest sense of the word.  Some people learn to work within the bureaucracy and politics to get their ideas/plans put into effect.  Billy Mitchell pestered people to death, and when that didnt work called them names and pestered them some more.  He opened his mouth so many times he became a political embarassment.  

Havent had a chance to watch the movie yet, will do so this evening when I get home.  

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2005, 02:07:28 PM »
Actually he was "let go" for pissing off every member of the brass in Washington, and most of Congress. I think he deserves every bit of praise you can heap on the man, he was extremely intelligent and far-sighted. He was also a fanatic in the strongest sense of the word. Some people learn to work within the bureaucracy and politics to get their ideas/plans put into effect. Billy Mitchell pestered people to death, and when that didnt work called them names and pestered them some more. He opened his mouth so many times he became a political embarassment.

Havent had a chance to watch the movie yet, will do so this evening when I get home.

yeah star I agree to a point, if you are only talking about less significant issues then maybe you can get away with playing the game which he did play, he even proved it to them and afterward they demoted him.

Mitchell proves to everyone Airpower can sink ships

He was trying to get the fat arses of the time to wake up and prepare and protect this country to save lives.  I think that is something people should be fanatical about.

They read parts of the transcripts from his court martial hearing and he was dead on and nobody was listening.  Things like,

Prosecution: "You say that in the future planes will cross the oceans and fly at speed of 1000 miles an hour."

Mitchell: "Before this decade is over planes will cross the oceans ..."

Prosecution: "You believe the USA will be attacked by Air."

Mitchell:  "I believe that Japan will attack our interests in the Pacific by air ..."

I can't remember the quotes ver-batim but the content is accurate.

It's a shame he died before he was vindicated.

Fanatic  Patriot, Hero and Visionary No doubt in my mind.

Offline streetstang

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2005, 02:26:47 PM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
IMO all you guys attacking comercial can silence yourself for now. If you dont thini its that great do it all yourself. You make it. Im glad it isnt that great. Shows HTC is spending time on the game, not a comercial.

My .002 cents :D

I could have done a better one and it would have been free. :)

Edit: But thats just me, and ya'll would probably think mine sucked too. 8)

Also, what do you want for 30 seconds of air time?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 02:40:42 PM by streetstang »

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2005, 02:29:06 AM »
well, thank you for posting the commercial for us.

but, OMG... :rofl   the script sounds like one of those cheezy monster truck commercials.  repetitive.  loud.

where can you...
where can you...
where can you...
where can you...
where can you...

i liked everything else, though.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2005, 06:32:00 AM »
I think a cool idea for a commercial would be to start it out in b/w as one of the old "Movie Tone News" reels that used to precede WWII-era films.

The subject could be air power, and as the narration proceeds it could gradually fade into color, and of course all the scenes would be AH air combat, some of that great guncam stuff that has been made, and giant formations of B17s/24s, P-47s rolling in on ground attack, etc.   Include a clip on Pacific carrier battles, CV operations, the Russian Front, Battle of Britain, etc.

It could work with the right Walter Winchell type voice as narrator.

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2005, 06:40:24 AM »
and at the end the screen would go black... and only a 12 year old kid's scream would be audible "stop vulching me!" :D

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2005, 06:49:58 AM »
Mb just fire your ... hahem ... "macintosh" and do a better movie :D

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2005, 09:21:11 AM »
I forget who made the movie, but you know that AH film that looked like a genuine gun cam?  That should've been the commercial...music and all.  :)  That, or GScholz's film with the AC/DC sound track and the head-bangin' 109 driver.  :D :lol

If I had seen those as commercials on TV, I would DEFINITELY have checked-out the game.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2005, 10:23:47 AM »
Sanjini made that awesome guncam film.    It looks so true to life though, it might not give potential AHers a good sense of what the game is really like.    At least not all by itself.   But I can definitely see it running on a looped video system at an air show booth, that also invites people in to sit down and try out the game.

Those films really illustrate the basic quality of the sim - that you can take real ingame encounters, make some cosmetic changes for authenticity sake (convert to b/w, and blur and film graininess, scratches) and come up with something so absolutely realistic looking.    It also shows the depth of skills in the community that has grown up with AH.   My hats off to Sanjini and the rest of the filmmakers.

Offline o0Stream140o

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2005, 11:08:33 AM »
I relatively know nothing about advertising, but I would assume that you want the potential customer to be drawn into your commerial.  Something when they start watching it, they don't change the station or click off their media player.  

Honestly if I was doing it, I would have had it where the potential player watching the ad, would have been left wanting to see more.  The only way they could have done that would be to sign up for the game.  

See the thing is we know what to expect for this sim... someone just starting out doesn't... so you need to hook them.

I will try to come up with something... If HT doesn't want it... no biggy...  but I think it would be a challenge to do.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2005, 10:06:04 PM »
If HiTech & Company had a dollar for every opinion voiced on this bulletin board, they'd be too rich to mess with this bulletin board.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline streetstang

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2005, 10:06:44 AM »
One thing it didnt mention was something that has kept me playing regardless of most everything else.

The community.

Play any other on line game. It wont compare to AH when it comes to the community of players. Very important thing I think.

I could be wrong though.