Author Topic: How I learned To Quit Worrying and Love The Propaganda  (Read 2872 times)

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
How I learned To Quit Worrying and Love The Propaganda
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2005, 03:57:22 PM »
Martlet, your question was can a journalist be hired to write someone memoirs and be considered unbiased. The answer is it depends. Memoirs implies a one time deal, hired by an individual. The nature of the job implies no future relationship. People don't write memoirs once a year.

Now working for a corporation or government with chances of future lucrative job offers, the answer is obviously not. In that case the question of whether or not the journalist is being objective or protecting chances of future job offers (by the government or a corporation) becomes real.

So in the contex of your argument, the what is more important than the who. A memoir implies a one shot deal. The others can be an ongoing relationship. Nice try though.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2005, 03:57:23 PM »
Originally posted by JB88
ya know what i like about the second term dontcha rpm?

its alllll gonna come out.  

like a seive.

The only thing that's going to come out is what a handsomehunk you are....stop, before it's too late....wait....you can just change your callsign....again.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2005, 04:00:10 PM »
Originally posted by Raider179
we are going round and round

"Responsiblity to the American People. Something the private sector does not have."

I answered that 5 posts up.

You're going round and round.  You could answer the question to put an end to it.

So a journalist isn't fulfilling their "responsibility to the American people" if they fulfill a contract with the gov't, but they are if they fulfill one with a corporation?

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2005, 04:01:34 PM »
Originally posted by TweetyBird
Martlet, your question was can a journalist be hired to write someone memoirs and be considered unbiased. The answer is it depends. Memoirs implies a one time deal, hired by an individual. The nature of the job implies no future relationship. People don't write memoirs once a year.

Now working for a corporation or government with chances of future lucrative job offers, the answer is obviously not. In that case the question of whether or not the journalist is being objective or protecting chances of future job offers (by the government or a corporation) becomes real.

So in the contex of your argument, the what is more important than the who. A memoir implies a one shot deal. The others can be an ongoing relationship. Nice try though.

It's not important at all.  If fact, it's the exact same thing in most cases.

Nice try though.

Offline koda76

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~dwdishman/
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2005, 04:02:05 PM »
And some how people think there is a difference in the federal Government and the private sector.....when did this take place?
Same rules/laws apply to both and nowadays more than ever if the federal gov funds programs in your state. The Private sector still resides within a federal state......

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2005, 04:04:46 PM »
Its not important that a jounalist is courting job offers from an entity he is supposed  to be writing about objectively?

Funny, it seems important, in fact it seems like a conflict of interest.

Offline koda76

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~dwdishman/
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2005, 04:09:40 PM »
I would say you have a solid conflict of intrest......The pres ended it in short notice......and stated "there has, No there must be seperation". or thats what I heard him say.

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2005, 04:11:39 PM »
Originally posted by Martlet

So a journalist isn't fulfilling their "responsibility to the American people" if they fulfill a contract with the gov't,  

Bingo

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2005, 04:17:24 PM »
Bingo

Who says a journalist has a responsibility to the American people?

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2005, 04:40:25 PM »
Originally posted by Martlet
Who says a journalist has a responsibility to the American people?

ask one, make sure he's american though

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2005, 04:42:34 PM »
ask one, make sure he's american though

I'm asking you.

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2005, 04:45:09 PM »
your like the kid that never quits asking why.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2005, 04:46:15 PM »
your like the kid that never quits asking why.

You're like a moonbat who spews anything he reads at moveon and denies everything he doesn't like without understanding it or being able to articulate it.

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2005, 04:48:35 PM »
I never read move on, and if you dont think journalists have a responsibility to the people they report to be honest, unbiased, accurate, and balanced you arent talking about reporters.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2005, 04:54:29 PM »
I never read move on, and if you dont think journalists have a responsibility to the people they report to be honest, unbiased, accurate, and balanced you arent talking about reporters.

I certainly am.  Journalism is a business.  Selling their medium pays the bills.  You only have a few options:

You either say they have no responsibility, which allows them to do whatever they want to sell their product.

You establish that they don't have opinions about anything, and can therefore report without personal bias.

You can assert that they are completely capable of plying their trade without influence of the personal opinions they have.

If you think of a fourth option, let me know.

If the first is true, your argument is moot.  It doesn't matter.

If the second is true, your argument is moot, it doesn't matter.

If the third is true, you have to establish that she included her personal bias in her journalism.  You have yet to do that.