Author Topic: WOW...Sub Photos  (Read 1158 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 09:11:03 PM »
Thank God the US has the best built, best crewed subs in the world. Unfortunate that the skipper lost his command, but it is SOP.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2005, 11:22:14 PM »
That is amazing.  
only one dead.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2005, 11:26:25 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
Thank God the US has the best built, best crewed subs in the world. Unfortunate that the skipper lost his command, but it is SOP.

Did he lose his command?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2005, 11:39:22 PM »
Originally posted by moose
what i want to know is how they are keeping it upright in drydock.. the blocks underneath it dont look very sturdy

The blocks are built by Lockheed Skunk Works.

That's all I can say, further information is classified.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 12:20:22 AM »
I think Hblair is going to get a call for some body work...

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 12:57:05 AM »
Originally posted by NUKE
Did he lose his command?

Yep. Its kinda like rear ending a car. No matter what the circumstances its your fault. Run several million dollars worth of sub into a immovable object. and your next job is managing a mcdonalds...if your lucky
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2005, 01:28:21 AM »
Originally posted by NUKE
Did he lose his command?
Was going by Green Cloud's post, but to be honest I have not seen an official statement. Grounding a ship or a collision normally results in loss of command. The Captain is always held responsable for the actions of his ship and crew, but there have been a very few exceptions.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2005, 03:12:32 AM »
The Captain was "reassigned pending investigation"

Satellite images of the area where the submarine ran aground showed a wedge shaped undersea mountain stretching more than a mile along the ocean floor which was not on navigation charts used by the U.S. Navy.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

VWE

WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2005, 12:51:14 PM »
The Fathometer sends a signal out, and you can be tracked when you're sending that signal

Any sub running at 30+ knots is already creating so much noise that your could probably track it over a 1,000 miles away so running a fathometer aint going to make that much more of a difference.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2005, 01:00:36 PM »
Originally posted by VWE
Any sub running at 30+ knots is already creating so much noise that your could probably track it over a 1,000 miles away so running a fathometer aint going to make that much more of a difference.
You must not be aquainted with modern subs. Unless they cavitate, they are uber quiet. Just a hole in the water.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2005, 02:59:15 PM »
I had read somewhere a few years ago that the Soviets had developed something that could track changes in the background noise. That allowed them to track US missle subs and fast attack subs. The basis to it was similar to the dopler effect for engines from what I remember.

So theoretically a hole in the sound when you know its a constant means that it would be possible to track something like a US missle or fast attack sub.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2005, 03:48:35 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
The Captain was "reassigned pending investigation"

Satellite images of the area where the submarine ran aground showed a wedge shaped undersea mountain stretching more than a mile along the ocean floor which was not on navigation charts used by the U.S. Navy.
Rumor has it satellite photos were taken in 1988 that showed the ridge, but it never made it into the charts.

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2005, 04:10:38 PM »
what i want to know is how they are keeping it upright in drydock.. the blocks underneath it dont look very sturdy

That's what I first thought when I first saw one of them in drydock.  Walking under and around such a sight gives you a good appreciation for how well the people that work to dock the ship do their jobs.  

About the fathometer, a sub ET1 explained it this way on another BBS:

... fast attack submarines typically have several basic types of sonar; passive search, active search, fathometer, and IIRC under ice. The fathometer and under ice would be what you're thinking of, unfortunately the fathometer is a narrow-beam which only identifies directly under the ship, and the under ice is for extremely short range searching for weak spots while surfacing under ice. Neither would have been of any use in that situation because there was obviously no ice and the fathometer would only show a dangerous situation quickly enough if it were not a steep cliff face and the equipment was being run continously.

I was surprised the Navy released that photo.  I would've thought that all the public would see are the above-water pics and video from earlier.  

mauser

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2005, 04:18:16 PM »
what i want to know is how they are keeping it upright in dry-dock.. the blocks underneath it don't look very sturdy

the blocks are 12" timbers stacked and held together with steel.  I've walked under ships that would make that sub look like a bathtub toy.  they were on the same blocks, never heard of one failing.

usually the only trouble is when you are taking the ship in or out of the water.

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2005, 11:18:41 AM »
this whole thing sounds so strange to me..

1) you really can hit a mtn in ur sub?..in this day of age?

2) they showed the damage?

I guess satelite pics would of showed it but

wow...very strange i think

maybe they rammed a chinese sub?

wheres the chinese sub?