Author Topic: WOW...Sub Photos  (Read 1159 times)

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« on: January 27, 2005, 05:26:17 PM »
holy sheite...did you guys see these damage pics!!!!!!??

suprised it didtn sink..or set torpedos off...

wow...amazing more did not die..

http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=21182

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
sand

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 05:40:05 PM »
thnk u sand..

frikn amazing..they hit so hard..no explosions set off?..

that had to be one hardazzzzz hit...i really did not expect to see such damage

I dotn get it tho..they already releived the commander of his duty...wasnt thsi an unmapped mountain in the sea?..or did they ram a chinese sub while chasing it?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 05:42:48 PM »
It's a different angle than the one you posted. Thanks for the original link.
sand

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 05:46:56 PM »
How many died? The caption did not say.

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 05:50:21 PM »
That is one strong submarine manned by an excellent crew...

Well Done.....

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 05:53:47 PM »
Otto said it. I really didn't think there were THAT tough.

Charon

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 05:58:26 PM »
what i want to know is how they are keeping it upright in drydock.. the blocks underneath it dont look very sturdy
<----ASSASSINS---->

VWE

WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 06:56:52 PM »
They hit an uncharted undersea mountain called a sea mount while poking along at 30 Knots... L.A. class boats don't run much faster than that. I'm amazed it even came home.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 07:14:28 PM »
check out the hull wide scrape along the side.

Thats a tough nut for sure but it makes sense.  Water is dense.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 07:25:07 PM »
Originally posted by VWE
They hit an uncharted undersea mountain called a sea mount while poking along at 30 Knots... L.A. class boats don't run much faster than that. I'm amazed it even came home.

bet its not uncharted anymore LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 07:26:25 PM »
One dead and several injured in that accident.  All of the damage shown happened to the ballast tanks and sonar dome.  Nothing penetrated the personel cell.

Wow... sounds like I know something about subs there.  I don't... a friend just told me that.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 07:40:21 PM »
Damage To Submarine Believed Severe
USS San Francisco Back In Guam Homeport
By ROBERT A. HAMILTON
Day Staff Writer, Navy/Defense/Electric Boat
Published on 1/11/2005

Photographs of the USS San Francisco returning to Apra Harbor in Guam Monday show the submarine's sonar sphere and forward ballast tanks were heavily damaged when it hit an undersea mountain, experienced submariners said.  One man was killed in the collision, and 23 others, about one of every six crewmen on board, were injured and evacuated from the submarine, making the incident one of the most serious undersea accidents in memory.

"This is the first time in my memory that anyone was ever killed in one of these accidents," said retired Navy Capt. John W. "Bill" Sheehan of Waterford, who commanded a submarine in the 1970s.

The bow of the submarine normally rides high in the water, but the San Francisco's was steeply angled down as the submarine passed the Orote cliffs in Guam, Navy photos showed. That indicated it was carrying many extra tons of water.  Sources said the sonar sphere was cracked, which would allow in about 20 tons of water. The ballast tanks were cracked and flooded as well, the sources said, and portions of the hull near the bow were buckled.  

Retired submariners said the sonar dome, which is always flooded, probably absorbed enough of the impact to keep the pressure hull from cracking, allowing the crew to save the ship.
The reactor, located amidships, and the rest of the propulsion plant in the rear of the ship were undamaged, the Navy said.
Navy sources said the ship was traveling more than 500 feet below the surface at more than 30 knots, about 35 mph, when it collided with the sea mount about 350 miles south of Guam.

Retired Navy Capt. John C. Markowicz of Waterford said the injuries were not surprising. "Put yourself in an automobile going 35 mph and you hit a brick wall without even having a seat belt on," he said.

The crewman who was killed, Machinist Mate 2nd Class Joseph A. Ashley, 24, of Akron, Ohio, died from a head wound he sustained when he was thrown against a pump in the machinery spaces.

...During the Cold War, the Navy focused on charting the Atlantic because of the threat the Soviet Union posed from that direction. Submariners said that until recently some of the Pacific Ocean charts carried warnings based on soundings made by Captain Cook in the 18th century, and even modern charts can be based on soundings taken 20 miles or more apart.

Local submariners say the area where the sub was traveling is notorious for no-warning sea mounts; the water depth can change 1,000 fathoms in seconds.

"We know more about the backside of the moon than we do about the bottom of the ocean," said retired Navy Capt. James Patton, president of Submarine Tactics and Technology in North Stonington.

The area in which the San Francisco was traveling, through the Caroline Islands chain, is one of the worst, with dozens of islands rising out of the water and many more uncharted seamounts between them.

"It's just bad water," Patton said.

Submariners said that if the navigation team was operating a Fathometer, the San Francisco probably would have had time to change course no matter how steep the seamount. But if it thought it was in deep water, it might not have been running that piece of equipment.

"The Fathometer sends a signal out, and you can be tracked when you're sending that signal," said retired Navy Capt. Raymond D. Woolrich of Waterford, a previous commander of the Undersea Surveillance Program in the Pacific.

"One of the things I found running the undersea surveillance system is that earthquakes happen all the time in the Pacific, and that's how the earth changes," Woolrich said. "Could there have been an unknown, uncharted seamount? Sure there could have been."

Markowicz recalled that during a transit to the North Pole, passing near Iceland, where a lot of volcanic activity occurs, the water depth could shift hundreds of fathoms in four or five seconds, which would not have been enough time to turn a 7,000-ton submarine traveling at 35 mph.

"The slope comes up very quickly," Markowicz said. "You have very little reaction time, and you may not even have as much warning in the Pacific (where the slopes can be even steeper.) I'm sure that the board of investigation will look at the situation very carefully."
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 07:43:00 PM by Mini D »

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 07:43:33 PM »
gear adrift.

that pea green color gives me the shivers.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
WOW...Sub Photos
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 08:11:53 PM »
The sailor who died lived just a few miles away.

Separate news, a 19 year old paratrooper from my area also just died in training; chute malfunction.

eskimo