Author Topic: AA help  (Read 532 times)

Offline Mogi

• Copper Member
AA help
« on: November 17, 2001, 07:42:00 AM »
Anyone have any idea the effective gun range of the player controlled AA vehicles?

Thanks!  :confused:

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
AA help
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2001, 04:39:00 PM »
Though I don't think anybody has exact data on this issue, It seems to hit about up to 2.0 on the icon - 2000 yards. I know because in some occasions, I've been shot down by an Ostwind from 2.1 or so.

But, in most cases, hitting a plane from an ack-mobile is incredibly hard once the range goes over 1.5. I don't know if this is true, but the Ostie 37mm anti-aircraft cannon seems to drop more in recent versions than it did before. I can't seem to hit anything these days(and I used to down a LOOOT of planes with Ostie).

So, a relatively safe range is the visual icon range of 1.5 I'd say.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
AA help
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2001, 05:04:00 PM »
Kweassa is right.  It is darn hard to hit flying objects with the Ostwind.  I've gotten lucky hits at about 1.5k range, but I usually wait for a straffer who doesn't know any better, and hit 'em head on at about .8 to . 5 k.

I think the overall range on manable field ack is about 4k.

Les
SC-Bama

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
AA help
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2001, 04:39:00 PM »
I've had a fair bit of practice in gvs and field guns.  Osties and field guns I can hit with out to about 2.5k (especially if the target isn't maneuvering), M16s out to about 1.5k.

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
AA help
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2001, 05:53:00 PM »
Maximum long distance hit was 2.8k once, was pure luck thou.

You can ping a plane at 2.0k if you lead correctly.  Practice offline with the drones, with practice you can hit them consistently at 1.5 with occasional hits to 2k.

:D